closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerts you’ve missed/not attended

Concerts you’ve missed/not attended

The disappointing gigs thread got me thinking. What gigs have you missed that went on to be gigs of significance or even just ones you wished you’d gone to.

For me - Stone Roses at Spike Island in 1990. Had a ticket but couldn’t be bothered to go and went to Shelley’s in Stoke as I did every Saturday night and gave my ticket away

Apparently it wasn’t brill but one of those generation defining gigs that I missed.

I also remember missing Coldplay at the leadmill in Sheffield due to booking a holiday. At the time didn’t matter and I do think chris Martin is a bell but would have been good.

My dad got offered tickets to see a new band in Sheffield in the early 60s. He turned it down as wasn’t keen. The Beatles.
    Last edited by senwar; 9th February 2018 at 23:54.

Blog Entries
    Had a ticket to see Gary Bartz in Limoges around 1993…. Turned up, ticket in hand, all excited only to discover that it was the night before…. I was gutted, as I was a skint student

My flat burnt down the next day just to compound my misery

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Had a ticket to see Gary Bartz in Limoges around 1993…. Turned up, ticket in hand, all excited only to discover that it was the night before…. I was gutted, as I was a skint student

My flat burnt down the next day just to compound my misery
    Ruddy hell! Was chuckling at the first bit but then the final line!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Ruddy hell! Was chuckling at the first bit but then the final line!
    The final line is a whole other story…. I’ll leave that though as (if I tell it honestly) I come across as the biggest numpty that ever drew breath on this planet !

Two huge mistakes - Queen with Freddie & Stevie Ray Vaughan.

"I'll go next time round"
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Limoges and Coventry share an amusing particularity. In August 1914, following the first battles, general Joffre relieved from their command a number of high ranking officers. A little later he decided to send them to Limoges, where there was no action. It gave the terms “Limogeage” and the verb “limoger”, which are the equivalent of being sent to Coventry.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Limoges and Coventry share an amusing particularity. In August 1914, following the first battles, general Joffre relieved from their command a number of high ranking officers. A little later he decided to send them to Limoges, where there was no action. It gave the terms “Limogeage” and the verb “limoger”, which are the equivalent of being sent to Coventry.
    I didn’t know that!

It’s also twinned with Stoke…. How many parallels does it want to make with cr@p UK towns?

Are you saying I should suggest a twinning with Ashford?
    To bring the thread back on course, When I was 14-15, with a group of friends we took the New York underground at night to go to Queens for David Bowie’s Ziggy. We were proper scared as it was definitely not a safe thing to do.
    The concert did not last a song, as Bowie was arrested on stage for I believe ‘possession’.
    I only got to see him in the mid 80s for the Glass spider tour in Paris.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Genesis - “i’ll Go see them next year”.........doh!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Nirvana, Grenoble 1994.

I was a big fan and some of my school friends were going, i was only 15 so my parents would not let me go without adult supervision - Grenoble was 2hrs away from where I live, I qute understand now with hindsight.

I think it was their last gig in France

Master
    Bob Dylan. We forgot we had tickets.

Master
    Had tickets to see Kraftwerk in Manchester when they last toured but was on call and couldn’t get anyone to swap with me.
    My wife told me I would have enjoyed it!

Master
    Oscar Peterson in Toronto during 2001. I was at a forgettable academic conference and was offered tickets when I checked in at the hotel. At that point I was a poor student and couldn't stomach the cost - a valuable lesson in somethings are more important than money!

Sold my ticket to see Radiohead on the Ok Computer tour. Was a sixth-former at the time and wanted the money to go drinking in my local town on the Sunday before I got paid from my part-time job at ASDA.

Also got offered a face value ticket to see Oasis at Knebworth the night before the second and final show. Again was working at ASDA and had just finished a shift. Had the choice of getting up early or staying out late (only enough money to do one or the other). In the end I chose a night out in Wakefield with a kebab at the end. Thought nothing of it until I found out John Squire had come on at the end to play Champagne Supernova. A few years later I met wife who had been at the gig and she never lets me forget what a muppet I was.

Master
    I very nearly not attended a British Sea Power gig at the Leadmill in Sheffield, last night. Thought I knew exactly where the ticket was, but in fact I didn't. Was just about to give up looking for it after about an hour when I found it in an innocuous envelope that looked like it should contain an old phone bill or credit card promotion.

Set off a fair bit later than I would have normally but even a 15 minute delay on the M1 didn't stop me getting there with 10 minutes to spare.

Belting gig.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Sold my ticket to see Radiohead on the Ok Computer tour. Was a sixth-former at the time and wanted the money to go drinking in my local town on the Sunday before I got paid from my part-time job at ASDA.
    Oh mate.

When I was fifteen, a sixth form girl asked me to go to see Deacon Blue with her. I thought they were dreadful and so laughed the suggestion out of sight. It was only a bit later that the penny dropped.... Still, I'm sure the concert itself would have been rubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Stone Roses at Spike Island in 1990
    That's pretty much unbeatable! I'd still be kicking myself today!

I've got a couple that spring to mind ...

The Stone Roses played in Newport in 95 when IB famously ( round these parts anyway) wore a Cardiff City shirt that someone threw on stage. The Charlatans were playing in Swansea the night before and not being able to afford both the then Mrs and myself chose to do The Charlatans ...wrong choice!

Booked tickets to see Massive Attacks home coming show at The Downs in Bristol a year or two back .. then realized I was double booked with a family holiday to Majorca! ... I'm still yet to see them .. The only saving grace with that was it was a total washout with torrential rain all day!!

Another Roses gig in Paris in 95 when, again, my then Mrs wouldn't let me go, that still sticks in my mind .. I should never have married that woman the writing was on the wall!! .. She's gone now :)

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I very nearly not attended a British Sea Power gig at the Leadmill in Sheffield, last night. Thought I knew exactly where the ticket was, but in fact I didn't. Was just about to give up looking for it after about an hour when I found it in an innocuous envelope that looked like it should contain an old phone bill or credit card promotion.

Set off a fair bit later than I would have normally but even a 15 minute delay on the M1 didn't stop me getting there with 10 minutes to spare.

Belting gig.
    I'm going to Cardiff tomorrow night to see them ... looking forward to it!

In the last year alone missed gigs of shed seven and kasbian, the night of the gigs we couldn’t be arsed with the drive to Glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Bob Dylan. We forgot we had tickets.
    Lucky escape probably... I must add a response to 'Most Disappointing Gig' too...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    When I was fifteen, a sixth form girl asked me to go to see Deacon Blue with her. I thought they were dreadful and so laughed the suggestion out of sight. It was only a bit later that the penny dropped.... Still, I'm sure the concert itself would have been rubbish?
    I still remember the NME comparing Deacon Blue to a pool of wet dog semen. Don’t know why that has stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Lucky escape probably... I must add a response to 'Most Disappointing Gig' too...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I wasn't so lucky, caught him at Cardiff Motorpoint a few years ago .... never again!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Genesis - “i’ll Go see them next year”.........doh!
    Saw Lindisfarne at the Glasgow Apollo a (good) few years ago. They were supper , but their support band was a revelation

Back on topic - Led Zep were playing a few weeks later a friend offered me a ticket - I "passed"

(doesn't sound like I missed much with the Zimmer-man though)

Knebworth 1979 - Led Zeppelin.

Only 14 at the time but I had already been to a few concerts with a friend and his older brother who was deemed a responsible adult by my parents. Friends older brother couldn't make it and my parents decided I couldn't go on my own. I still haven't forgiven them!

Cheers,
    Gary

Went to Glastonbury for the day in 1990 to watch the Happy Monday’s but went on the wrong day .. they played the day before! Another Ooops!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Another for Spike Island.
    I’dseen them a good half dozen times before it and couldn’t be arsed with all the nobheads that were piling in on the whole scene.
    Turns out i was the nob.

Had tickets for Hammersmith Odeon for David Bowies last show as Ziggy before he retired him.

A slight altercation with the law meant I missed it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've only ever missed one concert that I've had tickets to, Dudamel conducting the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra performing Turangalîla-Symphonie, but it was due to a family illness so no regrets.

The one concert that I'm eternally thankful that I didn't miss (is there a thread for those?) was Dave Brubeck in Lausanne in 2005. Incomparable.

Craftsman
    I decided to miss Nine Inch Nails playing, to do a bit of overtime instead, which on reflection at the time I didn't really need.

The reason for being gutted? He only brought bloody Gary Numan with him didn't he...

At least they put it up on YouTube just to taunt me forever more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbVlVLu1m8

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    That's pretty much unbeatable! I'd still be kicking myself today!
    I was never a big gig person back then (turned a few tickets down before) but I did always regret that. Just one of those had to be there gigs I think. For my generation.

I also once missed Oasis at Man City’s stadium (current). Got to Manchester and somehow we were one ticket short. I blamed the Mrs and had a row and I headed off home. She stated with everyone else.

I could have just bought another outside and to be fair I could have gone home and come back with the ticket and still made it in time!

Gill Scott Heron at the Manchester Apollo 7 or 8 years ago. Not much chance of seeing him now

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Thin Lizzy and TRex must be 30 or 40 years back. The daft thing is I actually had the tickets but couldnt be bothered at the time, WOW, massive regrets now !!!

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Concerts you’ve missed/not attended

Wish I’d gone to see Faith No More, Brixton Academy, 1990 ( the one they released as a live video)

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Had a ticket to see Dream Theatre in Rock City Nottingham, think it was 2000.

I couldn't go due to a court hearing.....I was a witness.

My mates that went had buzzing ears for days after lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Knebworth 1979 - Led Zeppelin.

Only 14 at the time but I had already been to a few concerts with a friend and his older brother who was deemed a responsible adult by my parents. Friends older brother couldn't make it and my parents decided I couldn't go on my own. I still haven't forgiven them!

Cheers,
    Gary
    Ah you missed a good 'un (certainly the second weekend was, anyway). But at least it's on YouTube now :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by m4ckg View Post
    Gill Scott Heron at the Manchester Apollo 7 or 8 years ago. Not much chance of seeing him now
    It seems unlikely that he'll make a comeback as a hologram - though Ronnie James Dio has of course, so you never know.

Had tickets for Michael Jackson's "this is it" concert in London, which never took place. I had bought two tickets for me and my best mate for his birthday, a real shame as he was a big fan of MJ.

A couple of years later, I thought I would try the concert tickets idea again for his birthday. Bought tickets to see Foo Fighters in Lyon. The tour was cancelled due to Dave Grohl breaking a leg.

Now we have a running joke that bad things happen whenever I am the one buying the tickets...

Blog Entries
    The one I regret was the Blue Nile in Glasgow. Booked a holiday in Ibiza so had to miss. Luckily the women I met on holiday particularly a welsh girl helped with the disappointment !

Master
    I missed the verve in the 90's playing in Wigan
    Had a ticket and a silly girlfriend at the time I made wrong choice !!

Nirvana in Feb 1992 in Sydney. Was holidaying with a mate on the North shore and we'd had a few beers and just could not be bothered to make the half hour trip. Shoot me

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I once,for reasons that are long and complicated,found myself with tickets for Kylie at the O2.
    Couldnt be arsed and didn't regret it.

(Actually the reasons aren't long and complicated,but directly linked to an over indulgence of alcohol)

Craftsman
    Wolf Alice. I listen to a lot of new music, so had tickets to see them at a tiny venue when they were just starting out. They play much bigger gigs now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    Wolf Alice. I listen to a lot of new music, so had tickets to see them at a tiny venue when they were just starting out. They play much bigger gigs now.
    My daughter is called Alice Wolf 🐺 !!! I should get into their music I suppose!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

Cracking band…. I’ve seen then 3 times now, twice at festivals and once at a tiny 300 person venue in Leicester…

A mate of mine actually managed to be a polar bear for the night at one gig!

Way too sweaty for me

IMG_3461.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Was offered tickets for The Smiths mid 84
    What him with the flowers in his pocket? No thanks.. D’oh!

Free tickets for some Aussie band in 85... no thanks
    Turned out to be INXS on the Kick Tour.... D’oh!

U2 Croke Park around 2004/5 I seem to remember...

We went on holiday in 2005. 6 days in NYC and 8 in Florida

The day after we left NYC was the start of the NY Fest at Staten Island & Brooklyn. On the Staten Island bill were the Killers, Interpol, New York Dolls, British Sea Power, Tegan & Sara, Lake Trout, and the Ordinary Boys. The second day at Staten saw Oasis, Kasabian, Jesse Malin, and the Redwalls. Sickening

Made it worse by a week later U2 playing Madison Square Garden. We considered switching our holiday (booked well before the gig dates were announced). To be honest, I would have done that now, just thought it was too much then.

Asia

Only recently discovered the original Asia had reformed in 2006 to 2012 - would have loved to have seen them back together - always thought they were a very underrated band - a unique combination of prog and pop.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Had tickets to Nina Simone - she died.
    Had tickets to Kylie - got viral pneumonia so missed it.

Had tickets to see the Ting Tings at Somerset House a few years ago, but they cancelled it for some reason.

I'm pretty sure they've not done a proper gig (rather than a stint at a festival, in the UK at least) or any real material since.

I had tickets to see Electric Six back end of last year, but they moved it to this (someone's wife was expecting around then, so the email said) and the new date wasn't convenient, so I won't be seeing them this year.

M