closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mobile Phone for Senior Citizens - Which PAYG Operator Doesn't Disconnect You?

Mobile Phone for Senior Citizens - Which PAYG Operator Doesn't Disconnect You?

Hello.

My 83 year old mother had a mobile phone on PAYG which she uses once per week to phone a taxi when she's finished her shopping, and for emergencies. Needless to say getting through £10 credit takes her forever and she rarely tops up.

The network "disconnected" her because she hadn't topped up in a good while, so she threw the phone in the bin (doesn't understand SIM cards). Now I'm tasked with buying her a new phone which I have no problem with, but I'm wondering if anybody knows the best network to go on for longest permitted time between top-ups while still keeping the service active?

I got one for my wife and it's with Three. The credit lasts forever but you do have to make a call every 3 months to keep the number live.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Hello

Doro 5030 from Amazon for around £15 and then Giff Gaff a package to suit.

Master
    I am a poor old pensioner and there are thousands of cracking deals for us. PAYG is dead in the water now a days.

Buy her a cheap dumb phone ( Nokia 3310 is bomb proof) for about £50 tops and then she can have a £10 package that will keep her going for a month dead easy.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I got one for my wife and it's with Three. The credit lasts forever but you do have to make a call every 3 months to keep the number live.

Eddie
    Thank you Eddie. Three looks good, it looks like it's now 6 months between calls to stay connected based on their website. I have ordered her a SIM from them.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Doro 5030 from Amazon for around £15 and then Giff Gaff a package to suit.
    Perfect, this is what I'd been looking at and have got one on the way now.

Cheers!

Hello

Yes, my Dad loves it. Very easy to use and loud.

GiffGaff PAYG just needs a text or phone call every 3 months to keep it active.

Which network was she on? That's pretty shameful to disconnect her if she was using it regularly.

I have a "spare" phone (an ancient Nokia) with an O2 PAYG SIM, which I was forced to buy when I bought a phone for my Mrs. ~10 years ago. I put £10 credit on it when I bought it, and have topped it up exactly once since (with another tenner). I send a text to my main phone every few months to keep it active, and it's still going strong, and last time I checked still had about a fiver's worth of credit.

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    Giffgaff payg is 15p / min. O2 payg is 3p / min which is why I swapped.

Blog Entries

Mobile Phone for Senior Citizens - Which PAYG Operator Doesn't Disconnect You?

I had an old Tesco contract sim that ended . The number is still active and I call it once in a while to see if it’s live . I think this keeps it going . Contract ran out well over two years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Which network was she on? That's pretty shameful to disconnect her if she was using it regularly.

I have a "spare" phone (an ancient Nokia) with an O2 PAYG SIM, which I was forced to buy when I bought a phone for my Mrs. ~10 years ago. I put £10 credit on it when I bought it, and have topped it up exactly once since (with another tenner). I send a text to my main phone every few months to keep it active, and it's still going strong, and last time I checked still had about a fiver's worth of credit.

Cheers,

Plug
    It's when the emergency phone's in the car and you forget. I've lost two SIMS this way - they stole my remaining credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Giffgaff payg is 15p / min. O2 payg is 3p / min which is why I swapped.
    My O2 is 30p/min!
    Three is 3p/min though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    I use this (3) for my backup phone and SIM.

I also have a Virging SIM on 2G

My wife and her mother are both on Giffgaff so their calls between them are free.
    Giffgaff is may main phone too - so the wife can call free.

Both three and virgin require a keep alive call every once in a while.

B

I use a Vodafone PAYG when I'm on the railway. Don't suppose I use it more than once a month. Not had a problem so far. Top up about £20 once a year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    My O2 is 30p/min!
    Three is 3p/min though.
    O2 Classic 321 tariff:
    Calls 3p/min
    Texts 2p
    Data 1p/mb

Grand Master
    I was happy with a pay as you go phone until it started eating money for no reason. I`d put £20 on it, hardly used the phone, and the money would run out!. In the end I gave up, I`m in the minority thesedays that doesn`t use a mobile phone.

Paul

The mice in your car have developed sentience...

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    O2 Classic 321 tariff:
    Calls 3p/min
    Texts 2p
    Data 1p/mb
    Thanks, I'm on'Web & text' but I'll switch at the next top up.