closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Supermarket Food Prices

Supermarket Food Prices

After the high food inflation of the last couple of years I've noticed over the past few months prices decreasing in local supermarkets, and in particular goods being discounted heavily that are actually products that you'd want to consume (as opposed to 20% off live sauerkraut that is originally priced up at £6 a packet or whatever). I'm talking premium sausages at a third off, vegetables, meat etc that's very keenly priced currently and would be a staple in most shopping baskets.

I've also noticed this isn't the case in the US and Europe where I've been shocked at just how much more groceries cost there than the UK.

I reckon my weekly grocery bill is a fair bit lower than a year ago. Anyone else noticed decreased grocery costs lately?

Supermarket Food Prices

Well you don’t have to remortgage the house to buy a jumbo size bottle of Heinz Tommy Sauce anymore.

£17.95 for fish a chips in the pub last night. It was £11.95 pre Covid.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been doing the shopping of late due to the wife being laid up. I have been going to Tesco using my Club Card and there are lot of products that are heavily discounted, savings on a £50 shop have often been £12.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Well you don’t have to remortgage the house to buy a jumbo size bottle of Heinz Tommy Sauce anymore.

£17.95 for fish a chips in the pub last night. It was £11.95 pre Covid.
    Yeah restaurants and take aways remain very expensive for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yeah restaurants and take aways remain very expensive for sure.
    You’re not kidding. I was round at a mates last week and had a takeway. One curry, half rice, half naan, half starter and half side dish each. Nearly £24pp.

For a takeout eaten at the kitchen table.

And this wasn’t even London.

Takeaway and restaurant prices are off the scale compared with pre-Covid.

Honestly cheaper to get a Wizz air flight to southern Spain for a long weekend and go on a massive restaurant and bar binge, and still have cheaper weekend than staying in the U.K.

And the weather is not sh1t.

Master
    Anyone else noticed decreased grocery costs lately?
    Nope- about the same. Lidl and Waitrose shopper. What I have noticed is there is far less of a difference between Lidl and Waitrose.
    Quality from Lidl has gone downhill (I’ve complained twice in last month and received £10 in vouchers).

So no, most stuff is similar

Biggest difference is that there is far less choice, it's that brand at that price, take it or leave it, it's all about range rationalisation and increase the margin

My Noem brand frechie steaks are still very expensive.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    After the high food inflation of the last couple of years I've noticed over the past few months prices decreasing in local supermarkets, and in particular goods being discounted heavily that are actually products that you'd want to consume (as opposed to 20% off live sauerkraut that is originally priced up at £6 a packet or whatever). I'm talking premium sausages at a third off, vegetables, meat etc that's very keenly priced currently and would be a staple in most shopping baskets.

I've also noticed this isn't the case in the US and Europe where I've been shocked at just how much more groceries cost there than the UK.

I reckon my weekly grocery bill is a fair bit lower than a year ago. Anyone else noticed decreased grocery costs lately?
    Is it Brexit perhaps? ;-)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Is it Brexit perhaps? ;-)
    Not sure, why don’t you pop into the BP and find out.

Get yourselves to Aldi 😁 99p for a Banks Bitter😁

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Get yourselves to Aldi 😁 99p for a Banks Bitter😁
    Or spoonies for a pint of Shipyard for £2.99! Spoilt we are, I tell you.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I have only noticed a slight rolling back a little on some items, no big deal. Overall still paying more for milk, bread, orange juice, veg, fish and a bunch of other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not sure, why don’t you pop into the BP and find out.
    Tee hee.

Craftsman
    I notice some of the Nectar prices in Sainsbury’s are quite favourable particularly with certain fruit such as apples and oranges. However, once bought and eaten, I often think it’s because such fruit is possibly older stock that needs shifting. For instances, apples might be going rotten in the middle and oranges aren’t the most flavoursome etc?

Other than that, staple things such as milk, bread, tea and coffee hasn’t decreased much at all. I’m not exactly sure how it works but I presume the costs we pay are delivered costs for batches of a supermarket’s product range based on the variable manufacturing costs at that time. Without trying to be cynical, I really hope the cost savings (material or otherwise) will be passed onto the consumer but I’m not entirely confident they will be.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Still seems to cost more every time we go before covid all our outgoings cost £500 a month and we often had enough over for a meal out now its nearly £1000 a month and have to regularly top that up for the last shop before payday

Master
    Will shrinkflation be reversed doubt it can’t see anchor butter going back to 250g instead of 200g at the same price, I’m still having to shop online due to her indoors being ill there’s dosent seem to be any savings to be had.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    I am in the UK. 2 or three times a year and I really think I can see the inflation on those visits. Eating out - even at ‘spoons has gone up. Has it leveled off a little ? Yes I think it probably has albeit at elevated levels - and bear in mind there’s a large part of the population that confuses low inflation with low prices! However I spend most of my time in Texas and I have to say that the quality and price of most foods is significantly cheaper in the UK than here. Fresh mozzarella for home made pizza is about 55p or so in Aldi - about 5 times that here. Similar for fruit and veg. I don’t eat any meat or fish so can’t comment there but alcohol is cheap here for basic gins here but other things are super expensive. Aperol (a staple in my house) is $25+tax here versus £9/10 last time I was in UK (April) in M&S and Tesco respectively (annoyed as I was as I bought a few bottle in Tesco before seeing M&S cheaper)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I do a lot of shopping and I'd say prices are about the same except for Olive oil.
    It's off the scale expensive to the point I'm considering reverting to Sunflower oil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I do a lot of shopping and I'd say prices are about the same except for Olive oil.
    It's off the scale expensive to the point I'm considering reverting to Sunflower oil.
    I spoke to my friend in Greece and he said olive oil (Extra & Virgin) had gone up because of a bad harvest last year. M&S last month was selling Greek Extra Virgin olive oil 500ml for £7.50 this month it went up to £8. Their Italian version is still the same price at £7.25.

Supermarket Food Prices

I'm considering reverting to Sunflower oil.
    Doesn’t do the job of loosening ear wax as good.

Actually this is a good point, I bought some Extra Virgin Olive Oil yesterday in Sainsbury's and what I usually do is avoid the store brand or Napolina crap and look for a semi decent brand that's on offer. Typically you'd get a £9 bottle down to £6 or so (500ml).

Nope, the semi-decent stuff starts at twelve quid now for 500ml.

Rapeseed oil for frying is cheap now though - Crisp and Dry selling 2 litres for £3.75.

We're moving back to the UK next week after 10 years in Asia. I'm not looking forward to that first food shop!

Tesco are doing a very nice rapeseed oil in their Finest range for about £3.50. I had some on a salad yesterday and it was excellent.
    "A man of little significance"