timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 173 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

Nutter!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My new (old) bike has plastic on the tank so I have been working out the tanklock system,I like a bag in front for glasses,phone,water etc.

Sportsbike shop have free postage and returns plus price match,they have been excellent I ordered yesterday they delivered today.

This one is close to my oxford products tank bag with side pockets etc.

If anyone wants one I can link to the link I used for the price match I paid £69

note you need a tank ring specific to your bike as well.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/500193

Not news, but just reinforces my view that insurers are *****
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiJl...hannel=44Teeth

43 years on 2 wheels and never had a Husqvarna before!
    got this little monster arriving in January to keep the R9T Urban GS company.It's a 701 Enduro
    It's replacing my Trusty DRZ400 (of which I've had a few..) and will receive a few minor mods over the next year or so. Considered the FE501 or KTM 500EXC which are great fun but a little more flighty and have a 600mile oil change plus other servicing commitments that ruled them out for me.
    Last edited by GOAT; 25th December 2020 at 11:48.

Anyone using a bike dryer?
    Any recommendations based on ownership much appreciated- been thinking of a Bruhl machine...

Yesterday I managed to solve a problem.

I have a Denali CANsmart on my bike, controlling a couple of lights and a soundbomb horn. I recently connected my laptop to the device to check some settings but the accessory manager software wouldn't let me access the settings without doing a firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, every time I tried the firmware upgrade it encountered a problem and failed.

I tried different USB leads and laptops with no joy and eventually HEX (the developers of the devices and software) suggested it was a fault with the CANsmart and that I should get a replacement from my supplier, which is what I did.

The new device arrived yesterday so I plugged it into my laptop (the device doesn't need to be installed on a bike to set it all up) and it advised that a firmware upgrade was necessary (as expected)...it too failed!

I decided to try using my partner's laptop (this would have been the third tried) and lo and behold, the firmware upgrade succeeded!
    So I took her laptop into the garage and connected it to the CANsmart in my bike and the firmware upgraded successfully.

Having now established that the devices weren't defective I concluded that the problem must rest with my (and my daughter's) laptop.

After a bit of digging I found that the problem was down to my (our) McAfee firewall blocking the necessary connection (no warnings had been generated to give any clues to this effect) and after a bit of fiddling with settings I can now connect with the device on my bike.

Anyway, I guess it just goes to show how increasingly reliant we/our bikes are on electronics and also the ability to successfully connect via the internet to some far flung part of the world (in this case China!).

I think I might get a pre-war British bike with gas lights.
    Last edited by Stanford; 13th January 2021 at 20:26.

R9T getting some upgrades over the winter for the coming season
    A bespoke rear shock and spring unit, a mainstand for ease of maintenance and some progressive fork springs with heavier fork oil...bring on the weather....

Well, the legal number plate back is on the bike and I'm just getting ready to leave for my Bikesafe course (my armoured trousers seem to have shrunk since I last wore them, though!!). Unfortunately the venue has been changed from Bushey to the South Mimms Services on the A1, which kind of defeats the object of booking it in a decent location in the first place
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th April 2021 at 07:02.

Going through a pile of old hard drives to get everything I want off of them before I clear and recycle them.

To make the most of the scorching summer sunshine, a group of us took our Harley Sportsters to John O'Groats for the Summer Solstice (2004)

Race-prepared GSXR-1000, very un-race prepared rider, Donington Park (2005)

First trip out with the boy on 2-wheels (2006)

My beautiful 'busa (2010)

Mid-way through assembling the outfit (1999?)

I had a spin around part of Kent, yesterday.
    I'm glad I was on the bike as it makes traffic jams much more tolerable, not that there were any on many of the roads I was on

After 2 very enjoyable years with the R9T Urban GS I've just traded it for this....

I've had many bigger bikes, some faster, some more sporty but this thing just does everything so well it's hard not to recommend it...
    it's an F900 XR TE. 900cc twin cylinder, Quoted at 104 bhp and about 216 kg.
    not as outright grunty as the R9T but far superior handling and general performance accessibility. The Urban GS was stack of fun bike but not something you'd want to spend all day on. having said that , I've already added a comfort seat, touring screen and could do with mirror extenders. it's stacked with electronics too- traction, cruise, lean angle abs, dsc etc. and showing a range of 250+ miles on a full tank.
    So not a Ducati sports bike, or Aprilia missile, but will still hit 60 in 3.6 secs so a useful, comfortable traffic buster...

Blog Entries
    My 1260 Multistrada. love it but up for sale shortly as wife has given up long distance touring :(

12 Ducati Multistrada DVT 1260 by Bilko169, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Frankie169; 25th July 2021 at 08:41.

https://i.imgur.com/HDo1tVi.jpg
    Just bought this one to replace one of my others, my 6th or 7th GS, never been disappointed with a GS ,was tempted with a multistrada v4s but got a good deal on this year+ old one….

A few shots from last weekend in Wales, from around the centre down to the Brecons:

I've been invited to attend a (paid) rider research session in a couple of weeks by LJE research (https://ljeresearch.co.uk/riderresearch) on behalf of Triumph.

Could be interesting.

My lad has just passed his Mod 1. Mod 2 next week.

The joys of bike insurance...

renewal with 3 years NCD on the policy is £93.23.

Ah, but I have 9 years on an expired policy so can I remove the 3 years NCD and apply the 9 years instead?

I can? Good!

renewal with 9 years NCD on the policy is £105.47

first ride out since major heart operation
    great to be back on the bike

Had a nice ride to a couple of local(ish) cafes; brew in one, bacon butty and a brew in the other:

Last edited by Stanford; 17th September 2022 at 18:27.

Just read the Practical Sportsbikes review of the Langen.

Quite refreshing to read a review where they praise the manufacturer for sacrificing quite a lot of peak power (95bhp down to 75bhp) to improve low to mid range driveability, fitting top notch suspension but setting it up for British road use rather than smooth track use and having a riding position for comfort rather than a race-replica crouch [1].

It really does sound rather good.

Best I check down the back of the sofa and see if I can find about £35k in lost change.

[1] most likely a realisation that most potential buyers are closer to 60 than 16.
    Last edited by Gyp; 6th November 2022 at 17:53.

Had a day trip out to Ypres today.
    Notice anything different about the bike (apart from the poppy)?

Last edited by Stanford; 10th November 2022 at 22:19.

When you want to wear something green when riding and struggle to buy a Kermit

I must not look at inappropriate things on the web.

oh...

Wales, you say?

This may be helpful for planning purposes

This year's DGR

Guys, many of you will know why this is a fundraiser that's close to my heart, and this year I'm participating for the second time on the London ride. If you could see your way to making any kind of donation I'd be hugely grateful - my profile page is here.

TIA.

Lad test rode a Street Triple RS yesterday. Loved it, and the yellow looks awesome.

Enquired about buying one, and there's a waiting list for cancelled orders.

Enquired about what discount there would be buying the demo and told none as they could sell at list of above.

Looked in Autotrader and sure enough there's dealers advertising ex-dem bikes at over list price.

Wonder how long before you have to buy a few T100s and Street Cups before you have a chance at getting on the waiting list for a street triple...

If anyone is interested, I'm going to list my Cardo Packtalk Black Special Edition on SC in a minute

Today I discovered...

Arai Chaser V chin vents are screwed into place, not clipped.

Ah well, easily fixed ready for tomorrow's test ride.

Triumph Street Triple RS demo completed.

What an absolutely stunning and amazingly capable bike. Astonishing.

Not one I'd want to own though, as it was constantly taunting me to go faster and dafter than was sensible. On open, well surfaced twisties it was incredible and far better than me but when the roads weren't perfect (most of them) it felt wasted.

As I'd not do track days, I reckon the "base" R would be a better road bike than the RS for real life conditions; slightly softer, slightly tamer and not so manic.

That said, they'd got the Street Triple Moto 2 bikes in and I reckon I'd be tempted to buy one of those just to look at.

All sold. Probably a good thing!

I've increased the performance of the R80 by using the technique so beloved by Colin Chapman - I've added lightness.

The trailer has gone, so the same fate has befallen the tow bar

Thinking of trading my motorcycle for a jetski.

Especially as it wouldn't start leaving work yesterday and needed to get a bump start. :-(

I made a few adjustments to the suspension this morning, so I had to go for a ride to test them out, to another regular watering hole for a very nice "healthy option" (poached egg and home produced ham on wholemeal toast) and proper coffee.
    The bike felt better for it...and so did I

I know I'll never make use of them, but I've always wanted to own the set of 3 Motorcycle Tuning books by John Robinson; chassis, two-stroke and four-stroke.

They are very much of their time, complete with BASIC programs to type in and use, and at best they'll be used as an occasional reference, but I now have them on my bookshelf.

Another Mololegends PSA

Rokker Rokkertech tapered single-layer jeans in grey are 42% off for today only... makes them £199.97 delivered. Code is ROK42.

These are high-end biking jeans.

This week's Motolegends Sunday Sale

It's another waxed cotton Besltaff at 40% off this week - this time the medium length Crosby jacket in Mahogony. Another absolute classic.

Discount code is CRSBY40.

Last edited by learningtofly; 29th October 2023 at 13:28.

Tenerife last year, Fuerteventura this year...
    Same format as last year I've been away for with some friends - they do their thing in the day, I do mine and we meet up to eat in the evening. So I hired a motorbike again for three days and went off to ride three routes that I'd pre-planned based on some local knowledge from a facebook group.
    I hired from East Coast Rides in Caleta De Fuste where we were staying. They were very easy to deal with. I took my own jacket and helmet but they do provide them if needed. I rented a Honda CB500X (A2) which was fine for riding round the island.

Pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qzSsh11BiupDobF97

Routes...
    https://calimoto.com/calimotour/fuer...1-r-iFhCrD8rQh
    https://calimoto.com/calimotour/fuer...2-r-5i8D99EHuu
    https://calimoto.com/calimotour/fuer...3-r-hZwBLfsGGx

Hardknott Pass

Decided that I'm definitely going to do the Wrynose and Hardknott passes next spring/summer... I'm pretty sure the Bonnie, with it's low-down grunt, would be perfect for it. Anyone else interested in making it a TZ ride-out?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th December 2023 at 10:01.

Interesting premise (if that's the right word) on today's Fortnine video regarding the CBX-6.

Suggestion was that up until the CBX-6 technical advances were overcoming the limitations of the motorcycle, but following that the advances were overcoming the limitations of the rider.

Just thinking about my (hopefully temporary) foot issue... I can still push my foot down/forward, so changing down a gear shouldn't be a problem. I think in practice I could probably change up too, in fact, by pulling my whole foot upwards rather than using my toes.

Trouble is, I can't test my theory
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th March 2024 at 10:02.

My Google mojo is failing me - does anyone know how much VED is going to be after 1 April for bikes over 600cc?

Currently sitting at £111.

I've found loads about the changes for cars and lots about the current rates but not the confirmed bike figures from next month

Discovered that the chain monkey laser chain alignment tool that I bought about 4 years can't be used on the one bike I own with a chain.

I've only had to adjust the chain as the wheel was out for a tyre, so at least that says something for the chain maintenance :-)

T120 help please!

My bike is currently in storage so I can't check myself, but I urgently need the equivalent of the lug to lug distance for a T120. In other words, the total length from the outermost edge of one tyre to the other (which I don't believe is the same as the wheelbase measurement shown on the specs).

Can anyone help, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m very partial to BMW twins, as we have at least 9 in the family at the minute, but they are at a completely different entry point. Nothing wrong with that, but depends what you are considering.

An Arch would probably be a very nice bike, but...
    Yu can buy a new bike and lose £000s the moment it leaves the showroom, or buy an airhead, ride it, service it yourself and the next owner pays you to ride it, cheap insurance too. You can buy a nice one for less than the first year depreciation on some of these modern bikes.

Anyone bought Goldtop leather jackets? I like the look of some of them and I fancy a leather jacket for the bike. the reviews in Urban Rider are good and I like the fact they are AAA rated.

Love any feedback from anyone on here about fit, comfort etc.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Anyone bought Goldtop leather jackets? I like the look of some of them and I fancy a leather jacket for the bike. the reviews in Urban Rider are good and I like the fact they are AAA rated.

Love any feedback from anyone on here about fit, comfort etc.

Rich
    Went down to the new shop the other week and tried a couple on. Superb quality, and one of the longer-standing manufacturers here (alongside Lewis Leathers). Can't go wrong, I'd say.

More bike related stuff

I’d personally stay away from Husqvarna because I don’t know where the heck I’d go for servicing and parts!
    Parts supply is worth considering, as smaller manufacturers are often slow with this. I met a guy who had an Aprilia (not exactly a small manufacturer) sat in the garage for a month waiting for a replacement part.
    With the big brands, you won’t have to go far to find an approved service centre and you won’t have to wait long for bits.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    I’d personally stay away from Husqvarna because I don’t know where the heck I’d go for servicing and parts!
    Parts supply is worth considering, as smaller manufacturers are often slow with this. I met a guy who had an Aprilia (not exactly a small manufacturer) sat in the garage for a month waiting for a replacement part.
    With the big brands, you won’t have to go far to find an approved service centre and you won’t have to wait long for bits.
    Husquvarna are owned by Perer Industries, to all intents and purposes KTM and they are the biggest European bike manufacturer after overtaking BMW recently. I’d be more worried about Guzzi or Aprilia, and even Yamaha who massively reduced their dealer network a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Good luck with whatever you choose but maybe a couple of pointers.
    Always see if you can get an extended test, 30mins on a sporty thing give little idea what it's like to live with, also allows you to see if you get any aches and pains after an hour or so.
    Decide what you want the bike for, sunday bimbles, european touring, taking partners on the back etc... all bikes will do this differently.
    Think about resale, you probably will want to change it after a while as you get more into riding, left field/minority interest bikes are great, till you come to sell them!
    When you take the test ride, take some time to wheel the bike around a bit (preferably at home where you plan to keep it) to ensure you can manage it and manoeuvre it around.
    Don't rely too much on testers opinions, they may not be looking for the things you are looking for in a bike, e.g. someone saying 90bhp is underpowered!
    finally, make sure it fits you and that you are comfortable, no point having the bestest bike if it cripples you and you end up not using it.
    Cheers, John B
    p.s. continue to get training as you become more advanced...
    Last edited by JohnB4; 9th August 2018 at 16:50. Reason: copied text too many times!

I see the F750 didn't make the cut, then.

Shame, as it definitely ticks the not too fast but properly comfortable boxes.

If you liked the look then make sure you try the Harleys.
    You know your watches well enough to understand that if you fancy one, no substitute will do even if it’s a beyter/more reasonable choice
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.