closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predictions for the 2019 speedmaster commemorating the moon landing

Predictions for the 2019 speedmaster commemorating the moon landing

Reading the 'Watch purchase goals for 2019' thread it seems that many of us are hoping to acquire the Speedmaster that will inevitably be released to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the moon landing. However there have been no official releases from Omega and we don't know what it will look like yet!

Also Omega aren't going to do Basel in 2019 so we don't know when the release will be announced.

So what do we predict it will be and what would we like to see? Will it be a re-edition of a vintage piece or a completely new model?

I would like it to have a fully stepped dial, DO90 bezel and the vintage applied logo.

What are the odds of it having the Cal.321 movement?

I predict that this won't be a limited edition but a new permanent model. The demand is going to be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    The demand is going to be huge.
    ...and the box is going to be enormous!

Have they made a Speedmaster with the moon as one of the sub-dials yet? If not, here's my prediction:

A standard Speedy Pro with a little moon picture on it. Your's for about £7K. You saw it here first!

With a footprint on the moon^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Have they made a Speedmaster with the moon as one of the sub-dials yet? If not, here's my prediction:

A standard Speedy Pro with a little moon picture on it. Your's for about £7K. You saw it here first!
    I hope it looks a lot better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I hope it looks a lot better than that!
    It’s like a panda that’s been given a black eye

Kinda

Prediction number 2: the crew of Apollo 2 on the dial. Here's Neil, Michael and Buzz in all their glory:

Yours for £10K which includes a cheap plastic model of the Apollo 11 lander and a Certificate of Authenticity.

Prediction number 2: the crew of Apollo 2 on the dial. Here's Neil, Michael and Buzz in all their glory:
    As Kenny Everett would have said "And it's all in the best possible taste!"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Sadly, Omega have spoilt this by their endless ‘specials’....of which this will be one more; endlessly hyped,(‘ the demand will be enormous’) and then just another way of cashing-in.
    And it won’t feature the 321 movement; that would cost them real money.
    The nearest thing to ‘authentic’ is the standard Pro.
    Last edited by paskinner; 31st December 2018 at 12:53.

One small step for Omega, one giant leap for your wallet:

£20K. Minimum.

Master
    I predict a "we didn't really land on the moon" special edition for all the sceptics like me...now that would be worth buying.

Master
    They should do sixty thousand in silver with Snoopy on and charge £3k

Yours for £10K which includes a cheap plastic model of the Apollo 11 lander and a Certificate of Authenticity.
    Spot on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

I would like it to have a fully stepped dial, DO90 bezel and the vintage applied logo.

What are the odds of it having the Cal.321 movement?
    Well they have already put in place measures to reproduce the stepped dial, DO90 bezel and AML. The ST Ultraman already has all 3, though there are of course colouration differences on these from the originals. I therefore think you are safe in assuming all 3 would be present on the 50th issue.

Regarding the 321 movement. Swatch group own the rights to it, it currently falls under the Blancpain label, and if they so choose could I guess use it but my gut says that it is reserved for the higher tier Swatch labels and no anniversary will tempt them to use it in a mere Omega. If they were going to use it, I think they would have already by now, for instance for the recent 70th Anni CK2915 trilogy reissue. Its not that big a deal really, they are pretty similar other than one has a column wheel so I am not sure why they are so reluctant, but reluctant they do seem to be.
    Last edited by Padders; 31st December 2018 at 13:19.

Something Bremontesque... some part of the lunar module/ some moon dust included in the case.

Craftsman
    There could be one for each of Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins. Not sure what the variations on each would be but it gives the best chance of a large number of limited editions. A full trilogy (have we heard that before) and a larger set of each.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

A Speedy with Kubrick on it I could get behind.

Grand Master
    I for one have no interest in whatever Omega choose to do to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing; lets remind ourselves who actually put a man on the moon......... it was NASA and not Omega!

They’ve milked the Moonwatch thing to death, it got silly a while back and now it’s just crngeworthy. Maybe it’s time to move on and get the whole thing in perspective, it’s a bit like squeezing one more drop from lemon.

It amuses me how people will force themselves to like whatever they come up with.....I’ve never understood how folks can want a watch they’ve never even seen.

With a full lume dial and without the pics, I'd quite like that.

£20K. Minimum.

Master
    I predict that there will be more than one special edition, at least three unless they can figure out a way to do six. Remember also that one of the best looking Speedies is the white gold version.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I predict that there will be more than one special edition, at least three unless they can figure out a way to do six. Remember also that one of the best looking Speedies is the white gold version.

The chronometer grade movement is a nice touch but I am mot so sure I would want to spend ~10x the price of the steel one for the case to look exactly the same!

I predict it won't be cheap and will be made on mass. There will also be TT, gold and platinum versions of the same watch. In fact they would release it in bacofoil if they thought it would sell.

Whatever it is, I don't want one.

Aren't we due another Speedy Tuesday, haven't had one of those for a few months now

Speedy three part prediction.

1. ADs will be sucked up to
    2. 50%+ will not be bought to wear but either flipped or stick in a safe
    3. It’ll be quite nice but overpriced for what it is

Blog Entries
    I predict:

It will be for sale on-line by pre-order only

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I for one have no interest in whatever Omega choose to do to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing; lets remind ourselves who actually put a man on the moon......... it was NASA and not Omega!

They’ve milked the Moonwatch thing to death, it got silly a while back and now it’s just crngeworthy. Maybe it’s time to move on and get the whole thing in perspective, it’s a bit like squeezing one more drop from lemon.

It amuses me how people will force themselves to like whatever they come up with.....I’ve never understood how folks can want a watch they’ve never even seen.
    Oh come on. It’s a watch. If it looks alright it will sell very well and possibly have little risk in losses from RRP. Most limited edition, even the 10,007 edition Bond watches hold value better than the standard models...

It’s a bit like saying any brand launching anything new is squeezing more drops from their lemons - even Citroen manage it!
    It's just a matter of time...

I also predict:

numerous arguments whenever one appears in Sales Corner.

I also predict:

And the new breed of WTB'ers

I want it brand new, full set and as cheap as chips...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    And the new breed of WTB'ers

I want it brand new, full set and as cheap as chips...
    Nothing wrong with that though - don’t we all! 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Nothing wrong with that though - don’t we all! 
    The difference is you would buy, these guys either don't respond or give you a host of reasons why they can't buy.

I responded to a WTB offering the guy what he asked for, he responded, sorry, but I think it's too big - WTF

Master
    Speedy pro prices have been increased by omega in anticipation.

Standard speedy pro now £3,680 (as per the omega website), up from £3,520.

How about a dial infused with moon dust, or have they already done that one? I lose track. Think I'll stick with my Ed White.

The difference is you would buy, these guys either don't respond or give you a host of reasons why they can't buy.

I responded to a WTB offering the guy what he asked for, he responded, sorry, but I think it's too big - WTF
    You could have offered to trim it down a little - some people are so unhelpful ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Speedy pro prices have been increased by omega in anticipation.

Standard speedy pro now £3,680 (as per the omega website), up from £3,520.

Has there been a small increase across the range, or just this model? Looks like 4.5%
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 31st December 2018 at 18:38.

Just get an original 69 with hippo or big logo case back. Better still, a 66 as I read once that the 11 crew were given them then and used them through training?
    Special edition Speedmasters not for me, whatever gimmick they pull out the
    marketing hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    With a full lume dial and without the pics, I'd quite like that.
    Just for you:

By the way, if anyone from Omega is checking my pictures out, I have loads more limited edition ideas - at a price.

Master
    I also predict:

Just what I was thinking!

Master

Haha, that’s something else!

Master
    You could have offered to trim it down a little - some people are so unhelpful ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Has there been a small increase across the range, or just this model? Looks like 4.5%
    Not sure, although the new seamaster 300m i want is unchanged in price. Rumour has it the price increase reflects the addition of a new adjustable clasp. The Omega boutique at this stage couldn’t confirm this though (they didn’t even know about the price rise), should know more in the new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.jaye; 31st December 2018 at 19:39.

Just for you:

By the way, if anyone from Omega is checking my pictures out, I have loads more limited edition ideas - at a price.
    If they do come out with this design I'm happy to corroborate that you got there first!

Master

- - - Updated - - -

There was talk on the Omega forum of a 4% price increase across the range from mid Jan. Maybe this is a little extra (FOIS is still marked as £3520)

Co-Hoaxial movement perhaps?

Master
    They have that already. It’s called water damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    If they do come out with this design I'm happy to corroborate that you got there first!

£20K. Minimum.
    That is hilarious!

This has turned out to be a very entertaining thread!

I wonder whether we will see a historical re-edition or a novelty version of the moonwatch?

I also predict that Omega will increase their prices prior to release, as suggested below.

Grand Master
    Having heard the news today regarding the Chinese moon landing, surely this puts the 1960s American Space programme into its correct context as a historical event that happened half a century ago? To continue marketing a watch on the basis of what happened historically really doesn’t make sense any longer.......... or am I missing a trick here?

I have an old 1970 Omega advert taken from Readers Digest, it briefly mentions the NASA connection but it’s very low key compared to the rest of the ad which features the Speedy Mk11, Flightmaster and 168.023 Seamaster chronometer. Clearly, at that time it was seen as ‘yesterday’s news’ so why is such a fuss being made 50 years later? I’m all for a bit of nostalgia but it’s become silly with the Speedy/Moon/NASA thing. However, if there’s money to be made from buying some crass limited edition then flogging at a profit I might just do it.....if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em, everyone’s trying to get their snout in the trough thesedays to make a quick buck on watches so maybe it’s the thing to do. Other investments haven’t done well over the past year, and I’m done with taking any sort of moral high ground over this issue, so my name will be going on a few lists too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    They are bound to bring out a Chinese Moon Landing version with a picture of a smiling President Xi Jinping on the dial

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    But Omega already has a Dark Side of The Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    But Omega already has a Dark Side of The Moon.
    So do Pink Floyd

We need a limited edition to them...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Having heard the news today regarding the Chinese moon landing, surely this puts the 1960s American Space programme into its correct context as a historical event that happened half a century ago? To continue marketing a watch on the basis of what happened historically really doesn’t make sense any longer.......... or am I missing a trick here?

I have an old 1970 Omega advert taken from Readers Digest, it briefly mentions the NASA connection but it’s very low key compared to the rest of the ad which features the Speedy Mk11, Flightmaster and 168.023 Seamaster chronometer. Clearly, at that time it was seen as ‘yesterday’s news’ so why is such a fuss being made 50 years later? I’m all for a bit of nostalgia but it’s become silly with the Speedy/Moon/NASA thing. However, if there’s money to be made from buying some crass limited edition then flogging at a profit I might just do it.....if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em, everyone’s trying to get their snout in the trough thesedays to make a quick buck on watches so maybe it’s the thing to do. Other investments haven’t done well over the past year, and I’m done with taking any sort of moral high ground over this issue, so my name will be going on a few lists too.
    Surely it puts into perspective how massive the achievement by NASA was all those years ago ?

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Yes but it's not commemorating the Chinese Moon Landing!
    Dark side of the Mao

My prediction is that its gong to have the a helium escape valve and the dial made from Nevada desert 'moon' dust. Could be wrong though.

Master
    I've tried to think about it but I just can't see what they have left to do with the speedy ???

Possible just the case back engraving and something small on the dial ?

Honestly what do they have left to do ?