closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tissot 1973 chronograph

Tissot 1973 chronograph

Not a fan of the date window, but otherwise this is simply lovely!

Date window wrecks it. Perfectly balanced and they throw that in. Why do watches like this even need dates? Bah humbug.
    "A man of little significance"

I completely agree. Like the Strela reissues, the date window ruins it.

I agree, date window is awful..

So many watches are ruined by the 4-5 date window. They’ve all done it. Shame

I like the watch a lot as well, and agree the date is unnecessary and spoils the look of this one. Was it Longines who stuck a date at 6 on a trench-style watch a couple of year ago?

A shame, as IMHO Tissot can do a decent date at 4-5 with a bit of thought. This has a quartz 251.272 movement from the 90’s. Keeping the date window small and angling the numerals so they are horizontal and aligned with the rest of the dial makes all the difference (to my eyes anyway).

It’s such a simple change, I don’t know why we don’t see more like this (except in expensive ‘big date’ styles that use a much more sophisticated mechanism).

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I like the watch a lot as well, and agree the date is unnecessary and spoils the look of this one. Was it Longines who stuck a date at 6 on a trench-style watch a couple of year ago?

A shame, as IMHO Tissot can do a decent date at 4-5 with a bit of thought. This has a quartz 251.272 movement from the 90’s. Keeping the date window small and angling the numerals so they are horizontal and aligned with the rest of the dial makes all the difference (to my eyes anyway).

It’s such a simple change, I don’t know why we don’t see more like this (except in expensive ‘big date’ styles that use a much more sophisticated mechanism).
    That's only going to look acceptable one day of the month, it makes a mockery of having numbers on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    That's only going to look acceptable one day of the month, it makes a mockery of having numbers on the dial.
    True, probably better with indices. But then again, that’s a problem with any date window that is on the outside of the dial, even at 3 or 6.

My personal preference is for date dials but I know that plenty of people don’t like them.

Master
    You could say that about any watch with arabic numbers where the date is positioned at 3 or 6 o’clock.

Master
    That's only going to look acceptable one day of the month..l.
    Ah but the buzz you get on the 4th of the month makes it all worthwhile. :)

Since I hit my fifties and my near sight deteriorated I've moved from 'must have a date' to 'whatever'. I mourn all the lovely watches I sold because they didn't have a date.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    You could say that about any watch with arabic numbers where the date is positioned at 3 or 6 o’clock.
    I hate all watches with big Arabic numbers on dials! I reckon they're only for people who can't see if they have their watch on the correct way up.

Master
    I hate all watches with big Arabic numbers on dials! I reckon they're only for people who can't see if they have their watch on the correct way up.
    Me too. I learned to tell the time ages ago and don't need numbers on the dial anymore, not since I was in P1 or P2.

Arabic numerals are bad, Roman is worse, and Californian is the pits!

That will be why you liked Cirotti’s old Stratoliner so much, with the nice indices.

Shame I bought the version with the large numerals in the end.

I like either style of dial, although not so keen on Roman numerals generally. I do like arabic numerals in a nice typeface though. Some of the old Art Deco and pre-War flieger dials, Breguet numerals, open sixes and nines, Bauhaus, even just very crisply lumed plain sans serif styles, I enjoy all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    That will be why you liked Cirotti’s old Stratoliner so much, with the nice indices.

Shame I bought the version with the large numerals in the end.

I like either style of dial, although not so keen on Roman numerals generally. I do like arabic numerals in a nice typeface though. Some of the old Art Deco and pre-War flieger dials, Breguet numerals, open sixes and nines, Bauhaus, even just very crisply lumed plain sans serif styles, I enjoy all of them.
    I should have bought that Stratoliner but messed up (well, I think I convinced myself I wouldn't wear it instead of my old Speedmaster)! There are one or two Fortises like that but the majority of them have numbers on the dial and will I see another clean one again?

I must admit I do like some of the really nice old ones with elegant fonts.

Yeah, next 3 6 9 sub I see at the car boot this season.........
    No numbers for me either. In fact, I've often toyed with the idea of an early Aerospace but them numbers.......

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Yeah, next 3 6 9 sub I see at the car boot this season.........
    No numbers for me either. In fact, I've often toyed with the idea of an early Aerospace but them numbers.......
    Those Fortis Marinemasters though, amazing watch for the money, just that one tiny problem!

I don’t know why everyone gets so troubled by 4-5 date windows. I quite like em.

Bigger issue for this gent (as it would be for me) is that you can’t get away with a radially-aligned date there if you wear your watch on the right arm, as he does.

The point of the radially aligned date at 4-5 is that you don’t need to bring your arm all the way to your body to read the date nicely if the watch is worn on the left. This poor bugger will need to bring his wrist to his shoulder before he has it straight.

Never ceases to amaze me, the people out there who overlook these details even when it makes things less pleasant for them.