closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protocol whilst on an AD's register of interest

Hybrid View

Master

Protocol whilst on an AD's register of interest

I'm lucky enough to have been accepted by an AD & am now in the interminable waiting stage.
    During this time is it considered ( by the AD) acceptable to keep in discreet contact with the the store, maybe phone or pop in once a month or so to remind them that I'm still here?
    I'm sure they would prefer it if the pesky customers just stayed quiet until they deigned to summon us to fetch our trinkets but I don't think keeping in touch is a bad thing.
    I don't want to become "that customer" who is seen as a nuisance, just to let them know, every so often, that I'm still here.
    Those more adept than me at the game, what strategies did you adopt?

Buy them occasional gifts so they don't forget you. If your contact is a lady, perfume is usually appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Buy them occasional gifts so they don't forget you. If your contact is a lady, perfume is usually appreciated.
    Is this for real, I really cannot imagine anyone doing it!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Yep, Ive found that the occasional Joe Malone gift basket with a personalised note goes a long way also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Yep, Ive found that the occasional Joe Malone gift basket with a personalised note goes a long way also.
    I'm only waiting for a BLRO not a Daytona, will this be ok?

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    NO!!!!!

Come on Oak, man.
    Lavender is going to make the AD's sleepy. You want to keep them alert with their senses tingling like prairie wolves ready to contact you as soon as the BLRO lands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I think he was being facetious.

I've always found slaughtering a llama in the shop doorway means that the staff always have me at the forefront of their thoughts.

I did try hiring one of those loudspeaker vans, parking it outside their premises, and blasting Simple Minds 'Don't You Forget About Me' at them for nine hours a day, every day, until my watch came in, but the llama method works better (and is less time-consuming), I think.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I've always found slaughtering a llama in the shop doorway means that the staff always have me at the forefront of their thoughts.

I did try hiring one of those loudspeaker vans, parking it outside their premises, and blasting Simple Minds 'Don't You Forget About Me' at them for nine hours a day, every day, until my watch came in, but the llama method works better (and is less time-consuming), I think.
    Yes, this method also works very well, but takes some forethought.
    You can procure your llama here - https://llamasanctuary.com
    But need to prove that you can accommodate it so would need to purchase an acre of land, but that expense can be offset against the profit made from immediately selling your AD purchased Rolex to the grey market.
    Once you set up an ongoing relationship you'll need a consistent supply of llamas so its best to keep the field and the sanctuary happy in able to continue on a rolling basis.

Probably best to start with a gift basket and then move on to llama as it requires more planning and overall investment.

Yes, this method also works very well, but takes some forethought.
    You can procure your llama here - https://llamasanctuary.com
    But need to prove that you can accommodate it so would need to purchase an acre of land, but that expense can be offset against the profit made from immediately selling your AD purchased Rolex to the grey market.
    Once you set up an ongoing relationship you'll need a consistent supply of llamas so its best to keep the field and the sanctuary happy in able to continue on a rolling basis.
    I've got a mate with a grey market llama business. PM for details/pics etc..
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Trouble is, this method is so popular now that I had to go on a waiting list for a llama. Anyone know what the protocol is to remind the llama shop that I'm still waiting for my llama?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Trouble is, this method is so popular now that I had to go on a waiting list for a llama. Anyone know what the protocol is to remind the llama shop that I'm still waiting for my llama?
    Perhaps you are in the wrong market - Alpacas seem much more fashionable now. There's an Alpaca farm just down the road from me - do you want me to see if I can nick one after dark??

This is certainly the maddest thread I've ever read anywhere.....I hope the OP was joking, but part of me fears he wasn't.......

Before c-19 - I was regularly popping in for a quick cuddle with my AD bernard. The last time we were spooning he promised I was further up the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Before c-19 - I was regularly popping in for a quick cuddle with my AD bernard. The last time we were spooning he promised I was further up the list.
    Are you sure that was the list?

Master
    He's a bloke & he got posh biccies at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    He's a bloke & he got posh biccies at Christmas.
    I'd up your game TBH.

I'd up your game TBH.
    A reach-around usually works IME.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    A reach-around usually works IME.
    I'd let him trombone me for a James Cameron. Oh, I see, you mean that I ought to...

Master
    What have you been accepted for? Have you got any prior purchase history with them? Have they indicated a wait time?

Those questions aside, there’s two ways of playing this. Either keep in contact or don’t. Obviously none of us here are going to know for sure how your AD will react, but I’d be of the opinion ‘out of sight, out of mind’. I’m almost 100% sure that some of my watches (including the hardest one to get) were only delivered out of my persistence. The AD’s wife even made a comment at a Rolex event that implied that was the case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    What have you been accepted for? Have you got any prior purchase history with them? Have they indicated a wait time?

Those questions aside, there’s two ways of playing this. Either keep in contact or don’t. Obviously none of us here are going to know for sure how your AD will react, but I’d be of the opinion ‘out of sight, out of mind’. I’m almost 100% sure that some of my watches (including the hardest one to get) were only delivered out of my persistence. The AD’s wife even made a comment at a Rolex event that implied that was the case.
    WoS have me down for a James Cameron. I have purchase history and a good rapport with the "consultant" and the manager. I have purchase history in the store. I'm told that I will be getting the next one they receive but no timescale has been given other than "this year"...

I'm lucky enough to have been accepted by an AD
    Who the hell's the customer these days?

I was promised entry to the waiting list several years ago for a Daytona. Gave them all my details, home phone number, mobile, e-mail address etc and was assured that I would added to the list.

Basically the minute you walk out of the store those details are placed in the circular file (to quote Bryan Adams). I rang a few times and even called in when passing and just receive the same crap each time about these things being dealt with by Head Office and we cannot confirm today Sir how you are progressing on the waiting list.

They clearly have to have some BS prepared so that they can turn people around and get them out of the door again. I even offered to put down a deposit which spooked them a little for a minute or two.

I'm guessing a fair few waiting for the call will be waiting rather a long time I'm afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I was promised entry to the waiting list several years ago for a Daytona. Gave them all my details, home phone number, mobile, e-mail address etc and was assured that I would added to the list.

Basically the minute you walk out of the store those details are placed in the circular file (to quote Bryan Adams). I rang a few times and even called in when passing and just receive the same crap each time about these things being dealt with by Head Office and we cannot confirm today Sir how you are progressing on the waiting list.

They clearly have to have some BS prepared so that they can turn people around and get them out of the door again. I even offered to put down a deposit which spooked them a little for a minute or two.

I'm guessing a fair few waiting for the call will be waiting rather a long time I'm afraid...
    It would be interesting for someone to Subject Access Request an AD to find out 1) What they do with the data and 2) Who they share it with... because what if the response is "we just use it for regular mail shots and there is no database".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It would be interesting for someone to Subject Access Request an AD to find out 1) What they do with the data and 2) Who they share it with... because what if the response is "we just use it for regular mail shots and there is no database".
    Now THIS is a great idea, and they have to comply, Would love to see that.

Master
    Worth remembering that the Datejust is their best seller; far more profitable than the ‘sports’ watches because of the sheer numbers. They sell, and sell. And with good reason. I believe the ladies Datejust is the best seller of all.
    Rolex will make sure they are available and in the shop window. The typical customers isn’t interested in ‘lists’.
    We choose to put ourselves in that position.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th July 2020 at 12:41.

It is reading experiences like NGs, I hope the situation improves. It should not happen.

I sometimes think if the staff realise how they are behaving or they have been that way for so long it's normal.

I put my name on the list at WOS knowing that it was a complete waste of time as I was just killing time waiting for my wife.

The lady serving almost had a smirk as if to say there is no way you will get a watch. This is despite genuine interest and being a previous customer.

One AD said if a watch was available, I would have to pop in every month or so wearing it. FO mate. I have a life and really busy browsing TZ. I don't have time for your morning and afternoon wrist check registration.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    One AD said if a watch was available, I would have to pop in every month or so wearing it. FO mate. I have a life and really busy browsing TZ. I don't have time for your morning and afternoon wrist check registration.
    Jesus Christ! You're buying a watch not getting a second job!

I've never got further than sending a couple of emails, but in each case I got the same reply along the lines of 'please make an appointment to come into the store so we can laugh at you for 5 minutes then try to sell you a datejust'.

That’s nuts, I can’t imagine any customers agreeing to that.

What's next, a monthly SOTC on Zoom or a pic with paper? Nuts.

Craftsman
    If that were me I’d have requested the watch for free as I’ve clearly reached Ambassador status if they want to see me around wearing it :-)

Blog Entries

A ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Did you type that with a straight face?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Worth remembering that the Datejust is their best seller; far more profitable than the ‘sports’ watches because of the sheer numbers. They sell, and sell. And with good reason. I believe the ladies Datejust is the best seller of all.
    Rolex will make sure they are available and in the shop window. The typical customers isn’t interested in ‘lists’.
    We choose to put ourselves in that position.
    I agree: I have a nice 36mm DJ. I bought it at a slight discount elsewhere when it formed perhaps 10% of the models on display and the salesperson spoke to me like a real human being. Think that was in 2017 - those heady days of retail where not treating your potential customers like pond life was a thing.

Edit: I’d love to buy a 41mm DJ today if I had the cash - just not from the particular AD that offended me.
    Last edited by NickGaters; 30th July 2020 at 14:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

I have an email from the store acknowledging my place on the register...

Master
    I've noted with interest the alpaca /llama /vicuna enthusiasts, if I was skip that stage & go directly to a glittery polar bear, would that be considered a bit de trop?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've noted with interest the alpaca /llama /vicuna enthusiasts, if I was skip that stage & go directly to a glittery polar bear, would that be considered a bit de trop?
    A little, you want to appear eager but not gauche.

Master
    A little, you want to appear eager but not gauche.
    That's why I'm asking for advice, it's a long way from the ulu to the big city & its sophisticated ways...

A quick update:

My mate's just got hold of some capybaras. These are no use for Rolex, but are ideal for those on a Patek Philippe list.

Incidentally OP, Jim Kerr's been in touch & while things are quiet on the gig front, he's prepared to go to your AD of choice & perform 'Don't You Forget About Speedy2254' live in the branch. I'll PM you details & you can discuss his fee directly with him.
    Last edited by jwg663; 27th July 2020 at 16:35.
    ______

​Jim.

Funniest thread in years!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    It’s just a mass-produced watch, not the holy grail. Perhaps put your name down and then just forget it. You might get lucky. That's how I got a 5711.
    Actually, the 5711 and ceramic Daytona were both big disappoints to me. Best not to get too worked-up.....
    Last edited by paskinner; 27th July 2020 at 15:53.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It’s just a mass-produced watch, not the holy grail. If you think it makes any difference, put your name down and then just forget it. You might get lucky. That's how I got a 5711. I had completely forgotten about it.
    No you hadn't.
    I saw you outside Windsor Bishop with a Mariachi band.
    You were making them sing Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIINER Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIIINER, He is a very ri-ich man, Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIIINER, Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIINER, YOU SELL HIM FIVE SEVEN ONE ONE PA PA PA SKIIIIINER.. on repeat.
    And you were hitting them with a stick made of willow and making them cry when they tried to stop because it was raining.

No you hadn't.
    You were making them sing Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIINER Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIIINER, He is a very ri-ich man, Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIIINER, Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIINER, YOU SELL HIM FIVE SEVEN ONE ONE PA PA PA SKIIIIINER.. on repeat and you were hitting them with a stick made of willow when they tried to stop because it was raining.

😂😂😂😂😂

No you hadn't.
    You were making them sing Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIINER Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIIINER, He is a very ri-ich man, Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIIINER, Pa Pa Pa SKIIIIINER, YOU SELL HIM FIVE SEVEN ONE ONE PA PA PA SKIIIIINER.. on repeat.
    And you were hitting them with a stick made of willow and making them cry when they tried to stop because it was raining.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Must have worked, guy on the left is wearing a Daytona!

I guess the question that remains is which approach DID you use - Or did it just turn up without animal sacrifice, sexual favours or cheap perfumery gifts?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    No you hadn't.
    Popped in this afternoon for a bit of light relief, and this thread has absolutely delivered. Comedy genius.

Also, nobody who's anybody ever uses a willow stick for thrashing a mariachi band: the thrashing must be delivered with a nice, whippy birch for best results, as any fule kno.

Master
    Further to the suggestion of a gift, if the op's contact is a lady would pooing in her letterbox count as perfume?

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Further to the suggestion of a gift, if the op's contact is a lady would pooing in her letterbox count as perfume?
    German AD maybe?

I believe the polite way to handle this situation is to maintain discreet contact with the AD, in particular the salesperson who has made this “commitment” to you.

It is often worth pitching a tent outside the back door of the premises (please, not the front or side door, in case you block entry for other worshippers), along with a plentiful supply of local delicacies to present to your considerate salesperson or even the AD themselves on a weekly basis (pot noodle for you I’m afraid). Failure to show an appropriate willingness to sacrifice a few of life’s little pleasures on your behalf often results in your name lowering down the ladder of deception.

Good luck with everything. I’m sure your wait will be a short one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I bought mine some lube and a double ended latex dildo, yet still no SS Daytona , I think the waiting list is probably a bit fake personally.

Master
    Ask the manager if he's Freemason if so, join-up & find his local lodge, join, job done.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app