closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    That post right there describes this thread to a tee.

I would never think of going into a Breitling post to ridicule people who buy Breitling, even though the vast majority of their models aren’t particularly appealing, outside of the Navitimer and the Professional models.

Really odd behaviours at times from a broader population than you would think is possible on a forum like this
    It's your interpretation that is specious.
    The OP asked to be talked in or out of choosing one. People voiced their opinion, and that started a debate about the reason why people liked them, or didn't. The fact that it surprised Raj shouldn't, in itself, come as a surprise as he has that habit, usually on Rolex threads.
    The fact that fans of the brand are riled by the reasons given by those who don't is irrelevant.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The thread title is presumptuous - almost ‘Why Don’t We All Have Something I Like?’ and encourages an opposing view.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The thread title is presumptuous - almost ‘Why Don’t We All Have Something I Like?’ and encourages an opposing view.
    Indeed.

Bremont? - I've never heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post

Bremont? - I've never heard of them.
    😂 you’ve been a member here for 6 years so I’d wager your fibbing!

Craftsman
    You’re being very selective about how this thread developed and done of the questionable, borderline derogatory responses that have been made, when there’s no reason to do so other than there being some genuinely weird folk on here.

As you rightly state, some of the Rolex posts are horrendous and as a result SC is like a bear pit at times.

I tell you what though, I’m looking forward to putting up a Bremont on SC over the next few weeks, should be brutal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Why didnt santa bring me socks this year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have a few reasons against a new Doxa too. Of the kind that gets you banned from certain other fora. Which, on its own, would have been reason enough.

Montblanc, from the outside, isn’t a watch brand. But they are Minerva!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Montblanc, from the outside, isn’t a watch brand. But they are Minerva!
    And I am very happy with mine - the price was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    And I am very happy with mine - the price was right!
    I am not surprised. They are very good indeed and with a genuine horological DNA.

Many brands are starting afresh.
    Others revive a name that had disappeared. Panerai and our very own Smiths for example, and there are many.

This is good for the industry, and it’s good for us WIS.

Bremont chose to do away with an existing heritage (which is perfectly fine) but instead of building the brand from scratch decided to fake one. And this is where you create an issue.
    Many people will look pass this duplicity and see the watches for what they are, very good but probably overpriced watches.
    Others will not, and have a strong reaction against it as illustrated by this thread.
    Lovers of the brand are right to point out that the negativity started before the in-house debacle, because it started with this faux-heritage. The fake in-house story just added a new layer of lies.

Craftsman
    Others revive a name that had disappeared. Panerai and our very own Smiths for example, and there are many.

Bremont chose to do away with an existing heritage (which is perfectly fine) but instead of building the brand from scratch decided to fake one. And this is where you create an issue.
    Many people will look pass this duplicity and see the watches for what they are, very good but probably overpriced watches.
    Others will not, and have a strong reaction against it as illustrated by this thread.
    Lovers of the brand are right to point out that the negativity started before the in-house debacle, because it started with this faux-heritage. The fake in-house story just added a new layer of lies.
    Faux heritage of history? So did their dad did flying a plane? Did they emergency land in a field owned by Antoine Bremont?

Unless you are calling that lies, then what is the history that has been misrepresented?

It’s fine not to like them, try not to talk nonsense though

It reminds me the story of The house of Creed for whom interested in perfumes

Your average watch buyer doesn’t care. They’re not marketing their watches to WIS. We can go around endlessly in our little corner of the internet but it won’t make much if any difference to their bottom line.

I’ve got no problem with the marketing and the in house stuff doesn’t bother me, they’ll get there and I’ll probably buy another when they do.

Where is that field? Which Antoine Bremont is it?
    Do you have any evidence to corroborate that story ?

Craftsman
    Where is that field? Which Antoine Bremont is it?
    Do you have any evidence to corroborate that story ?
    So the entire story is lies, c’mon that is absolutely ridiculous. You expect Antoine Bremont to be the face of the brand?

Do you have any evidence to confirm that it’s not true?

You’re probably correct. I was answering on the negativity associated with the brand on this and other fora with the freedom to post their mind, so within the wis community. Others won’t care and if anything will swallow the story hook, line and sinker.

How do you prove something doesn’t exist? I say bullshit, it’s easy for you to prove me wrong. Just the name of the village will do.
    Furthermore, if I helped you out and later your children started a company bearing my name as an homage, yes, I would expect a better recognition.

How do you prove something doesn’t exist? I say bullshit, it’s easy for you to prove me wrong. Just the name of the village will do.
    Furthermore, if I helped you out and later your children started a company bearing my name as an homage, yes, I would expect a better recognition.
    I actually thought it was the father but this is from the Bremont website

"THE NAME BREMONT

In the late 1990s, Nick & Giles were flying across France in their 1930's biplane. The weather was closing in. A rough-running engine forced them to make an emergency landing. Keen to avoid the French authorities, the brothers were more than happy to accept the gracious help of the farmer whose field they had landed in. They stayed in his home, the aircraft took cover in the barn. It transpired their host had flown aircraft during the war, as well as being a gifted engineer. Half-restored wall clocks lay everywhere, together with numerous engine parts. The farmer still even wore his own father's wristwatch. The brothers promised that his warm hospitality would never be forgotten. His name? Antoine Bremont."

https://www.bremont.com/pages/about-bremont

Edit - Just added the link if anyone wants to look
    Last edited by robert75; 1st January 2020 at 00:39.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    ”In the late 1990s, Nick & Giles were flying across France in their 1930's biplane. The weather was closing in. A rough-running engine forced them to make an emergency landing. Keen to avoid the French authorities, the brothers were more than happy to accept the gracious help of the farmer whose field they had landed in. They stayed in his home, the aircraft took cover in the barn. It transpired their host had flown aircraft during the war, as well as being a gifted engineer. Half-restored wall clocks lay everywhere, together with numerous engine parts. The farmer still even wore his own father's wristwatch. The brothers promised that his warm hospitality would never be forgotten. His name? Antoine Bremont."
    ...and the band played Believe It If You Like.

Blimey, some of you lot are clearly passionate about a brand you dislike 😂

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Blimey, some of you lot are clearly passionate about a brand you dislike
    Genuinely no. In fact, I am mostly indifferent to their design, and the dislike expressed was more about what I felt when I discovered the brand a few years ago through their marketing, as it sounded like a complete bullshit then, even though the idea of creating a new brand was positive.
    As they say, repeat a lie often enough and it will be accepted as truth, I suppose.

However I do take issue when fanboys challenge my views and ask to stop the negativity on a thread that asked about opinions about the brand and not a specific model (I would not have posted on a love fest about a member showing his new Bremont).
    Now if they had found Antoine, his field and the hangar...

So the brothers themselves. Late 90s so should be easy to find. And why avoid authorities? A biplane doesn’t fly far so probably took off from France, too.
    Story shouldbe easy to cross reference.
    Flew during the war so Antoine was in his mid to late 80s...
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 1st January 2020 at 00:42.

So the brothers themselves. Late 90s so should be easy to find. And why avoid authorities? A biplane doesn’t fly far so probably took off from France, too.
    Story shouldbe easy to cross reference.
    Flew during the war so Antoine was in his mid to late 80s...
    A quick google search and there is an antoine bremont who does hip hop videos on youtube if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    A quick google search and there is an antoine bremont who does hip hop videos on youtube if that helps
    Seems plausible then. I stand corrected

Craftsman
    Bremont are the British watch brand of the year

https://www.watchpro.com/watchpro-aw...d-of-the-year/

Marloe watches are also based in Henley upon thanes like Bremont. Have to confess I have never heard of some of these brands.

Craftsman
    Deary me, hope you’ve got plenty of tinfoil left after you’ve wrapped your head with it

Easy cop out. It’s a fake story and if people adhere to it, or don’t care because they like the product that’s fine.

I’m sure Nick, Giles and their team will be reading this thread, it’s like gold dust of constructive marketing so feel free to ask any questions.

My question if you are reading this is, could I have a Martin Baker watch, it is my name you are using to promote this brand and Martin Baker ejector seats were good enough to give me some goodies at Fairford, so if you could follow suit that would be very much appreciated, I’ll even take a selfie with it to help your ad campaign..

Sorry, no. I looked for Antoine, couldn’t find anyone to match so I say bull.

If you want me to make amend show me Antoine, his field, his hangar.

I do not care whether you find my conclusions valid though. And I am not trying to convince you I am right. But I will continue to express my opinion on the matter when the subject comes up, regardless of whether you like it or not.

Sorry, no. I looked for Antoine, couldn’t find anyone to match so I say bull.

If you want me to make amend show me Antoine, his field, his hangar.

I do not care whether you find my conclusions valid though. And I am not trying to convince you I am right. But I will continue to express my opinion on the matter when the subject comes up, regardless of whether you like it or not.
    BTW, did you check the link on battery performance in cold weather.
    It is a bit controversial. Most information seems to suggest that silver oxide batteries perform a bit better in cold weather
    Than Lithium ion while some claim the opposite.
    Regardless,extreme cold temperatures can play havoc with these batteries.

Wait so the Bremont story isn’t real?
    Wish I’d have known that before I bought my 501

I don't own one as I haven't seen any designs of theirs that appeal enough to justify paying the prices (even with discounts) that they charge.

I'm also not keen on the manufactured heritage thing, and the same applies to any brand that does it.

Absolutely. But a solar Gshock worn normally (i.e., not over your parka sleeve) will last at least as long as your arm is alive.

Not quite as good for marketing purposes though. Incidentally a few quartz watches have been certified for space travel, so again, they’re not that fragile.

Absolutely. But a solar Gshock worn normally (i.e., not over your parka sleeve) will last at least as long as your arm is alive.

Not quite as good for marketing purposes though. Incidentally a few quartz watches have been certified for space travel, so again, they’re not that fragile.
    https://monochrome-watches.com/arcti...-shock-rescue/

Although G-Lide supposedly overcomes this.

My impressions are:
    1) he wore the watch in his pocket so not on his wrist, like the reverso. Pocket may or may not have been insulated.
    2) I live in Kent, where the weather bears only a distant resemblance to the artic’s. However, when left in the dark (like a pocket) for a short time my gshock will also go into sleep mode. Pressing a button usually wakes it up.

All this to say that I believe that if the watch was shown the light of day every now and then, and was worn against the skin on the wrist it would work perfectly. I’ll add that even in sleep mode the gshocks keeps time accurately.

My impressions are:
    1) he wore the watch in his pocket so not on his wrist, like the reverso. Pocket may or may not have been insulated.
    2) I live in Kent, where the weather bears only a distant resemblance to the artic’s. However, when left in the dark (like a pocket) for a short time my gshock will also go into sleep mode. Pressing a button usually wakes it up.

All this to say that I believe that if the watch was shown the light of day every now and then, and was worn against the skin on the wrist it would work perfectly. I’ll add that even in sleep mode the gshocks keeps time accurately.
    It was somewhat unrelated but just posted it because I found it interesting.
    Coming back to the Antione story, you have to admit it is a bit like Trump- Obama birth certificate story.
    Trump made totally unfounded allegations and some lapped those up and Obama had to produce his birth certificate which I found was appalling. And then Trump had the cheek to say- I did everyone a favor and laid that rumour to rest:-)

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    Hi,
    like most of us here i live in the UK, and for once we have a brand which marketing strongly flags their watches to be made in Britain..

(whether what they do makes it a true statement or not is irrelevant now)

..and i feel that should be a factor.. or a box ticked if you like.. that makes us like this brand.

on a personal note, i think they're also beautifully designed watches, albeit with an off the shelf movement in it.. so..

why don't we all have a Bremont?

I'm asking as i want to be talked in/out of buying one..

Thank you, Claudio.
    I don’t currently have a Bremont. I have tried on a few different models over the years and came close to buying on more than one occasion.

I think they are well made and a little different to the normal suspects. I may get around to buying an S300 at some time, as an alternative to the other dive watches that I have.

I figure that if I like the look and quality of a particular watch and can buy it at a price I find acceptable, then why not.

Absolutely. But in one case someone is doubting a marketing blurb, and in the other a man’s most solemn statement sworn on the Bible.
    And even in this case the only way to prove it definitively was to produce the evidence.

I certainly don’t ask them to swear to it, but I don’t believe them.

And they appear to be nice blokes, they are dynamic and I admire the entrepreneurial spirit. I can even almost believe him when he said he wanted their brand to plough it’s own furrow.

I did a bit more digging and found a list of Free French volunteers.
    There was an Antoine Bremont, born 10/05/1920. So the age matches.

Unfortunately he was not a Free French Pilot in England.

He was Army, 2nd class soldier in the BM2 (2ème Bataillon de Marche, 2nd ‘walking’ battalion). Created in Bangui, it went across Africa (Brazzaville, Pointe Noire) then across Good Hope to Port Soudan, arrived in Palestine and took part in Syria campaign including the taking of Damas, then Alep and the Euphrate’s banks, went to Egypt and took part in the siege of Bir Hakeim (Feb to May 42) with heavy losses (40%, including 216 killed from about 1000 men).
    It then was sent to Madagascar for 6 months, then back to Bangui. It arrived in France at the beginning of 1945, took part in the battle for Royan and marched under the Arc de Triomphe in Paris on 18 June 1945 (a great honour).

Now from the list of Free French fighters, there are only 53,241 out of an estimated total of 53,500. But if he had been a pilot my hunch is that he would be listed.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 1st January 2020 at 16:38.

Master
    This whole thing is becoming quite baffling....
    People are questioning the validity of the Bremont story and that is fine... others are saying it is a blatant lie....
    Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    This whole thing is becoming quite baffling....
    People are questioning the validity of the Bremont story and that is fine... others are saying it is a blatant lie....
    Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Only in the real world!

In the spill over world from the Bear Pit people think they can say any tosh and get away with it and then come over all passive aggressive.

Craftsman
    Bit silly though all the marketing regarding the brand name.. considering the amount of times its been challenged, trying to fact check any of it is impossible, Bremond is the more common french name, Bremont is a champagne family, French death records shed no light on his death, apparently between the incident of 1996 and the brand launch in 2002 he passed away. No mention of family, or who he flew for in the war. So much they could do to put this to bed, which makes it seem fake, Im not saying it is fake, but normally in the Google age you can fact check pretty much anything, apart from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    So much they could do to put this to bed, which makes it seem fake, Im not saying it is fake, but normally in the Google age you can fact check pretty much anything, apart from this.

There’s nothing to ‘put to bed’ because no one cares outside this weird obsessive corner of the internet. It’s amusing to watch this thread develop though.

Oh, and Antoine Bremont was from Tahiti.

Oh, and Antoine Bremont was from Tahiti.
    So not a You Tube Karaoke star then?

Craftsman
    Hold on a minute, Antoine Bremont was the inspiration for the company name, not the basis on the link between the purpose of the company and its link to aviation.

That was established by the English brothers father and their own links to aviation, unless you think that’s fake news as well.....?

I’m surprised it matters that much to you to be honest

Blog Entries
    Hold on a minute, Antoine Bremont was the inspiration for the company name, not the basis on the link between the purpose of the company and its link to aviation.

That was established by the English brothers father and their own links to aviation, unless you think that’s fake news as well.....?

Perhaps the point is nobody can find any record of the inspirational Monsieur Bremont. Apparently.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Perhaps the point is nobody can find any record of the inspirational Monsieur Bremont. Apparently.
    I guess no one has considered the possibility that Bremont and his family may not have wanted to have their personal details, exact location and all their family affairs published and used for corporate purposes and hence maybe the reason the brothers haven't used specifics or provided the world with all this proof of their exact location etc.

Sent from my SM-F907B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ataripower; 1st January 2020 at 17:55.

As per Raj’s link above: https://youtube.com/watch?v=hWtt5EK6WFY

The story starts around 1’58’’ but more specifically 2’55’’...

It seems you missed a trick: they tied a French Tahitian farmer who volunteered to fight as a second class army soldier to an unknown namesake who would have been a pilot with the free French in England.

This may be where the ‘embellished truth’ (aka the lie) was born from.

I found an Antoine Bremont in the Free French. He was a farmer born in Tahiti. He wasn’t a pilot.

I haven’t found anything as to his whereabouts after the war. So they may have landed in his field, or not: I have no evidence to say that he returned to Tahiti, nor did I find evidence that he didn’t. On balance, a farmer from Tahiti would have struggled to buy a farm in France but it isn’t impossible.

Again, I cannot prove a negative but considering the above, at least I did my bit to support my opinion. The least I can say is that you haven’t.

As to why, I found the challenge interesting.

I care that their back story is true, it's the fundamental basis of their brand. It's a mark of their honesty. Yet It's lacking in all verifiable evidence. Add that to all the BS of their marketing, their "naïvety" over what an in-house movement is and their slick patter, the tie ins based on that last resort of the scoundrel and in my view you have a busted, tarnished fake flush.

Yes people are innocent until they are either found guilty or plead guilty. That's right Rajen, isn't it.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations