I prefer the flavour rather than the strength of coffee and so go for filter / pour over techniques.

I started with the Chemex 6 cup traditional glass container with the wooden handles (which by the way makes a damn fine wine decanter - great pour control) but have moved over to the Hario V60, using the Hario goose necked kettle, and Hario scales. This ties in really nicely with my local roasters in Edinburgh, Artisan Roast, who generally don't produce dark, or heavy roasted beans. I follow the James Hoffman methodology to produce a nice two cup jug of coffee most mornings - 30gms of coffee ground in my Eureka Mignon Mk2 stepless grinder.

100 deg C Water for light roast, can go slightly colder with dark roasts.
60g/L ratio (16.67:1 ratio. Can be up to taste)
Grind Size: Slightly finer than medium (though ultimately up to taste)

1. Rinse paper in V60 and pre heat it
  2. Pour in coffee, make a well with your finger in the coffee bed
  3. Start timer and gently pour 2x coffee dose as water to bloom (up to 3x coffee dose if necessary)
  4. SWIRL IT GOOD
  5. Wait 30 to 45 seconds
  6. Spiral pour in 60% of total brew water in until 1:15 (i.e 60% of 500g, pour to 300g)
  7. Keep it topped up, slowly pouring the rest of the brew water over 30 seconds. (i.e. 100% of brew water by 1:45)
  8. Little stir in one direction, then a little stir in the opposite direction. (About 1 to 1.5 revolutions each way)
  9. Once it has drained a bit, then SWIRL IT
  10. Wait for the coffee to fully drain. You want a flat bed of coffee and no big grinds of coffee on the side of the filter paper.
  11. Enjoy!

At this time, many coffee shops are hanging on in there by on-line sales. If you can, support your local coffee shop and roasters! These are on the way! :)