closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Daytona White Gold 116519LN

Craftsman

Rolex Daytona White Gold 116519LN

Hi,
    Has anyone got the Daytona on Oysterflex, especially the white gold version and if so how does it wear? I did have a hankering for the rose gold Yachtmaster which I have tried but have always loved the Daytona so think that may be a better option as it’s a beautiful watch in that guise. I prefer the case being symmetrical (or it appears so) which the steel version isn’t ( it always looks a little odd to me when I look at it)

Regards Craig

Journeyman
    I have the 19LN, probably my favourite watch. It is very comfortable. The correct size oyster flex is key though as it cannot be worn loose due to the additional weight. Strangely enough it is more versatile than the stainless steel Daytona as it works with both smart or casual wear

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I can give you ‘half’ an answer. I’ve owned a white gold Daytona, but with matching gold bracelet.
    I’ve also owned a white gold Yachtmaster with the Oysterflex.
    What I haven’t owned is the combination you fancy, OF with Daytona. However, for my taste, the Daytona works best with metal bracelet. That’s how it was designed; it’s quite a light watch (less so in gold of course) and the bulk of the gold bracelet just feels right.
    I know the Daytona/Oysterflex ceramic combination is very popular at present, but my suspicion is that in the longer term, it will look dated.
    Still, your money, your choice. Nice watch either way.
    Last edited by paskinner; 10th September 2020 at 17:06.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys. I must admit I do like the look of the yachtmaster as well and funnily enough my AD has that in stock whereas I have to wait for the Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman

It is special though!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post

It is special though!
    Yes, it certainly is.

Master
    I have the Daytona in Rose Gold and Yachtmaster WG.

Both very comfortable. I think the YM42WG is the favourite because of the body size. When I look at the Daytona I think I should be selling scrap metal or pimping, but then I put it on and it’s more subtle, less bling.

I’ve owned mine for about a year now and could easily be my only watch. For me the combination of the oyster flex and the ceramic bezel makes it look very modern but also means it’s very versatile. I’m quite happy wearing it to the beach and don’t really have to worry so much about knocks etc.
    The combination also makes it quite low key in a way as it isn’t typically Rolex despite the Daytona being one of their iconic watches.

Master
    These have really grown on me i have to say.
    Very nice

It is special though!
    Looks awesome that love it.

Master
    Looks awesome...can you buy and add a gold bracelet? Would it fit? Or maybe the problem would be, it would cost 20k!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Looks awesome...can you buy and add a gold bracelet? Would it fit? Or maybe the problem would be, it would cost 20k!
    You can get close. This guy bought a SS Daytona and sourced the dial from the white gold model.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCi1iH5HKAH/

Master
    That just looks right!

Master

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Bracelet can’t be added to the 116519 I think the price of the bracelet must be in excess of £12k best bet is to buy the all gold and then buy the strap

Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    Bracelet can’t be added to the 116519 I think the price of the bracelet must be in excess of £12k best bet is to buy the all gold and then buy the strap
    This +100

Master
    I have the 116509, great watch, but hardly gets worn, so I suspect it’ll be on the chopping block some time soon..

Then you won't have the ceramic bezel which makes the watch.

Journeyman
    Not if you want the ceramic bezel as it’s not available on the bracelet version

- - - Updated - - -

Not if you want the ceramic bezel as it’s not available on the bracelet version
    Sorry a bit late 😩

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Then you won't have the ceramic bezel which makes the watch.
    Hmmm ceramic bezels are available (very rare though)I’ve bought one (not brave enough to fit though)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    . . .
    I’ve also owned a white gold Yachtmaster with the Oysterflex.
    Is that meant to be past tense Peter??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Is that meant to be past tense Peter??
    No, just a bit sloppy; always dangerous to predict these things, but I suspect this watch will stick with me. It just seems to suit my tastes.

Master

It is special though!

That’s a very nice looking watch!

It is hands-down my favourite watch. It’s ended the Rolex game from me and was the reason I sold on the Pepsi and s/s Daytona.

It is extremely comfortable, once the strange rubber flanges behind the strap ‘bed in’ to your wrist size. The rubber strap makes you less concerned about knocking it against things, or even just desk-diving swirlies on the PCL (which was something that always bothered me about the s/s version). It’s also nice to know it isn’t as desirable as the steel so you can rough it up with impunity.

The gold also takes on a nice colour that does make it very different to steel.

I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    Son of Skyman

It is hands-down my favourite watch. It’s ended the Rolex game from me and was the reason I sold on the Pepsi and s/s Daytona.

It is extremely comfortable, once the strange rubber flanges behind the strap ‘bed in’ to your wrist size. The rubber strap makes you less concerned about knocking it against things, or even just desk-diving swirlies on the PCL (which was something that always bothered me about the s/s version). It’s also nice to know it isn’t as desirable as the steel so you can rough it up with impunity.

The gold also takes on a nice colour that does make it very different to steel.

I love it.
    Great picture!

What happens to white gold as it ages?

Master

Oh dear.
    There are facebook groups for those shots.

Terribly sorry if I offended you. I can’t quite fathom why it’s entirely acceptable to have a £24k watch photographed but when it’s against a background of a nice car... it’s somehow gauche?

Perhaps I ought not to feed a troll.

^^^ Good point, next to a £24k watch a Ferrari looks like a sensible purchase to most people. Which model is it by the way (the Ferrari, not the Rolex)

Terribly sorry if I offended you. I can’t quite fathom why it’s entirely acceptable to have a £24k watch photographed but when it’s against a background of a nice car... it’s somehow gauche?

Perhaps I ought not to feed a troll.
    It is a classic instagram or Rolex Forum type photo, but on here it's very Harry Enfield.

Sorry...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    ^^^ Good point, next to a £24k watch a Ferrari looks like a sensible purchase to most people. Which model is it by the way (the Ferrari, not the Rolex)
    I would say 599 but I stand to be corrected.

No offence but that type of picture is as old as watch forum. Slightly better than the shot with the keys only and a Black Amex sticking out of the wallet, but creating the same impression. Post your car in the relevant thread and it will be praised for what it is, and your watch here for the same. Put them both in the same picture and not only do you get a poor watch photo but the reference to those Facebook posts is unavoidable.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

It is a terrible photo of the watch. Very TRF, not very TZ.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post

I’ve owned mine for about a year now and could easily be my only watch. For me the combination of the oyster flex and the ceramic bezel makes it look very modern but also means it’s very versatile. I’m quite happy wearing it to the beach and don’t really have to worry so much about knocks etc.
    The combination also makes it quite low key in a way as it isn’t typically Rolex despite the Daytona being one of their iconic watches.

Does the sand leave a lot of scratches on the WG?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It is a terrible photo of the watch. Very TRF, not very TZ.
    HA...First thing I thought when I saw it was TRF!

I have been reading TRF quite a bit more recently. Such a different vibe, makes me smile! (Not that tz doesn't!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    I’m not especially careful, but I’d never expose a white gold watch to sand. They’re not exactly delicate, but they do mark pretty easily. Think sanding paper. Actually, try as you might, you can’t stop a gold watch getting marks. But then, to a slightly lesser extent, so do steel watches. But sand.....I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    It’s fine, I wasn’t grinding it in to the watch or anything. Just a bit from wind and digging holes for my kids then rinsed off in the sea followed by under a tap at home,

Journeyman
    I tried one on the other day. I was a bit unsure on how the oyster flex would wear (no sized here). I love the watch. The slightly heavier gold case and curved lugs make it wear very snug to my 6.5’ wrist.

Next I’ve gotta wait for that call. Shame I couldn’t walk out with this one.

Journeyman
    It’s such a beautiful watch - definitely my favourite of the current Daytonas - and it’s great to see an owner enjoying it! No use having a watch like that if you don’t wear it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    It’s fine, I wasn’t grinding it in to the watch or anything. Just a bit from wind and digging holes for my kids then rinsed off in the sea followed by under a tap at home,

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    It’s such a beautiful watch - definitely my favourite of the current Daytonas - and it’s great to see an owner enjoying it! No use having a watch like that if you don’t wear it I think.

I like to enjoy my watches too, but the beach is one step too far for mine ;) Maybe one day...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post

Of course you wear and use it. But you are still wise to use a little common sense. Because, believe me, these are not ‘tool’ watches. I wear one most days, and try as you might, you will pick-up little marks. On the Oysterflex, for instance, you still have a large 18k clasp. It will attract scratches.
    So, when I go to the beach...which is often....I put on a rugged CWC.