closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Worth a watch - Old Soviet motorcycle full Restoration

Worth a watch - Old Soviet motorcycle full Restoration

Last edited by BRGRSP; 11th March 2021 at 20:16.

Craftsman
    Oh my Lord. I've never seen or heard of some of the techniques the guy used. Phosphoric acid! Blimey!! And I love that sort of thing.

And some of the parts he simply restored, and didn't replace. Crikey!

And the photography!

Thanks OP!!
    Last edited by Bazzman; 11th March 2021 at 18:42.

Talking

The.mystery video is "Old Soviet motorcycle full Restoration".

About 10/11 years I almost bought a Ural with side car in Afrika Corps brown. The UK importer lived on the same street. They were a pig but fun.

The Hairy Bikers were chugging around Leningrad in a Ural combination, in an old repeat shown last night.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The Hairy Bikers were chugging around Leningrad in a Ural combination, in an old repeat shown last night.
    I watched that also, they sure had fun with the old dodgy clutch, talk about taking your life in your own hands lol.

Master
    i owned a well used/ubused 1980's solo version of that bike for several years.an interesting experience.very strongly built but crudely finished old beast.bits at the time were as cheap as chips,there was a guy down in Kent importing spares by the container load.first off the engine was gutless and rough.then i checked the factory timing marks for accuracy.they were way out.once correctly timed and the carbs balanced it ran smooth and nearly vibe free and capable of unstressed cruising at 65-70MPH.it became affectionatley known as "Boris the Bastard"it was a heavy old brute though and i sold it just before i had my first hip replacement..

Master
    Aren't Urals reverse engineered BMWs captured from the Wehrmacht? I'm sure I read somewhere that the sidecar still had a mount for the MG34...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Aren't Urals reverse engineered BMWs captured from the Wehrmacht? I'm sure I read somewhere that the sidecar still had a mount for the MG34...
    No, not exactly
    They are legitimate copies when, following the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, Germany supplied the blueprints for the BMW R71.
    I couldn't comment on the gun mount
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No, not exactly
    They are legitimate copies when, following the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, Germany supplied the blueprints for the BMW R71.
    I couldn't comment on the gun mount
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure I read it in a motorcycle magazine (that dates it). There was an article about the Ural & the bits that have stuck with me are - the sidecar is the "wrong" side for the UK, the sidecar still has a gun mount & the outfit has a reverse gear...

Worth a watch - Old Soviet motorcycle full Restoration

I believe the side car can be on the right side for the UK. What couldn’t be was the 2WD. I believe I have seen a 2WD with the sidecar on the left on a youtube video from Australia, probably 2020 or 2021 model.
    And the reverse gear is much needed on a sidecar that weights close to 400kg, especially off road.
    The down side is that it means a 4 (forward) speeds gearbox only. The sidecar community has been asking for a 5th gear for some time.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 13th March 2021 at 15:25.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.