timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Wing Alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    They look sharp 
    This is how my Red Wing Cooper boots look today after 3 years of wear:

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks Chris. How did you find the sizing? Did you go down a half or full size?
    I went down a full size based on what I'd read (bought UK 10), they were too small to start with and fairly uncomfortable but the leather is now becoming more supple and the size is ok, not fitting like a glove yet but I expect another month of wear before the decent weather comes and they go to the bottom of the cupboard until next winter.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I went down a full size based on what I'd read (bought UK 10), they were too small to start with and fairly uncomfortable but the leather is now becoming more supple and the size is ok, not fitting like a glove yet but I expect another month of wear before the decent weather comes and they go to the bottom of the cupboard until next winter.
    As an addition, I’m an 8F at Clarks (we bought a foot measurer for the kids) and I am happy with size UK 8 Red Wings.

I'm an 8 or 8.5G at Clarks and bought a 7.5 Red Wing. They'll fit or they won't. I can exchange them. My brother has the same size feet as me and his are an 8 and he has to wear a sole in them, hence my 7.5 punt.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    As an addition, I’m an 8F at Clarks (we bought a foot measurer for the kids) and I am happy with size UK 8 Red Wings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    This is how my Red Wing Cooper boots look today after 3 years of wear:

They now look comfortable!!!

They've arrived. The length is fine but they're very narrow. Anyone else find them narrow?

I’ve tried various Red Wings and never found any of them comfortable yet!

Tried insoles going up or down in sizes nothing got me a good fit, heavy clumpy boots!

The Iron Rangers lasted the longest but even they went in the end.

Master
    I find that, even after several years, they could do with being worn much much more. The more you wear, the better they fit. BUT I would level exactly the same for the Grensons I have (shoes and boots). “Heat-cycling” of the leather from your feet, walking of course to work the leather, and regular nourishing/conditioning products all help. For me also, a good thick pair of decent walking socks makes a huge difference.

Master
    I know this is a bit of a thread revival.. but, heads up for any of the Scottish members, Xile have been bought over and are closing down their stores (end of an era).
    Anyway, their website is already gone but for stores still open there are some real bargains to be had. I just picked up a pair of Fracap Scarponcino M120 boots today for an utterly ridiculous £85. I rate them higher than Red Wing personally.
    They also stock the likes of Danner boots and I had to show some restraint not to pick a pair of them up for £65… but I can see myself popping in again !

For this interested in Red Wing, here's a link that shows in detail the end to end manufacturing process -

https://www.stitchdown.com/brands/re...factory-visit/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    For this interested in Red Wing, here's a link that shows in detail the end to end manufacturing process -

Thanks for posting that. Fascinating read.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Redwing just don’t fit my foot shape,Danner in my usual size are a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    For those interested in Red Wing, here's a link that shows in detail the end to end manufacturing process -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Redwing just don’t fit my foot shape,Danner in my usual size are a perfect fit.
    Both fit me. Though Iron Rangers are a UK 10 and all the Danners a UK 11. Then again with Timberland a UK 10.5 is a perfect fit so go figga as they say

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tried a pair of Fracap on today,full size down but pain in my left foot made me leave them in the shop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Both fit me. Though Iron Rangers are a UK 10 and all the Danners a UK 11. Then again with Timberland a UK 10.5 is a perfect fit so go figga as they say
    For me, Redwing almost always 1 size diff (down) from standard UK. Same with Grenson.

Of the American bootmakers, I have always preferred Chippewa, ever since I bought a pair of their engineer boots as far back as 1989, which were faithful servants for many years.
    I have 2 pairs of Chippewa at present, and never owned any Red Wings.
    I am not a fan of the flat white (slightly foamy Vibram) soles on many US boots, and Red Wing, as well as most others, offer plenty of alternatives.

Scorpion shoes online have 25% off site wide including Red Wing using code HAPPY2024.