closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strength training app - any recommendations?

Strength training app - any recommendations?

I used to have a Personal Trainer but I can't afford one at the moment so I'm looking for an app that will help motivate me to exercise regularly at home.

I run 2-3 times a week already and I want to do some strength training 3 times a week.

I have kettlebells, dumbbells and a bar bell at home.

I've been looking at Caliber strength training and I might try their 7 day free trial.

Any other apps worth considering?

Thanks in advance.

I use Fitbod on iPhone. You can tell it what gym equipment you have as well as body weight and it creates programmes dynamically for you.

theres no app or piece of machinery thats going to motivate you- you just have to slog it out week in and out.

I watch a lot of Renaissance Periodization videos on YT, Dr. Mike has an app which might be worth a look.

Tbh a personal trainer will help you dial in your split and map out progressive overload unless they are working on your meals ( whole other level vs standard PT)

You can do all this via YouTube and the google workout a decent split and the key is to track your lifts

I’d probably start with a push pull leg split rather than “bro” split and ensure you hit the key compound lifts ( squat, bench, dead’s)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    theres no app or piece of machinery thats going to motivate you- you just have to slog it out week in and out.
    +1, how did folks do it in the era that pre-dates phones etc?

It's easy to put a programme together based on the equipment you have available, then to quote the Nike T-Shirt........Just Do It.

Setting realistic achievable targets is the key, map out a schedule, keep a diary, then get on with it.

To be brutally honest people need to learn how to be self-motivating, just do it, decide it's going to happen and make it happen. Forget about apps and all the crap, just be honest with yourself. I`m 66, I exercise 4-5 times/week, a mixture of running, cross-trainer and weights, no apps required just determination.

Agree that motivation and determination are needed.

I used to exercise regularly then caught COVID (twice, really badly) and have struggled to regain my previous level of fitness.

So I'm just looking for ways to get myself back on track. Following an app or plan can be get a good way to get started again when motivation is lower.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 6th May 2024 at 18:41.

tbh i'd get yourself to a gym and do a 3/4 day split (hire a trainer to show you a routine for a month with variations of muscle grp lifts to make it interesting and then go it alone) , there are very few people that have the equipment at home needed to train correctly or with enough variation to stop your brain melting after a few weeks ( the whole couple of dumbells and a few bits and pieces crowd with no actual usable weight are a waste of time imo unless you are 80 yrs old ) .

for around 15 yrs now ive done either a 3 or 4 day split - currently 4 days with means im in the gym every other day @55 yrs old.

tbh i'd get yourself to a gym and do a 3/4 day split (hire a trainer to show you a routine for a month with variations of muscle grp lifts to make it interesting and then go it alone) , there are very few people that have the equipment at home needed to train correctly or with enough variation to stop your brain melting after a few weeks ( the whole couple of dumbells and a few bits and pieces crowd with no actual usable weight are a waste of time imo unless you are 80 yrs old ) .

for around 15 yrs now ive done either a 3 or 4 day split - currently 4 days with means im in the gym every other day @55 yrs old.
    I must be one of those few people. I have a range of single kettlebells from 16 to 48kg at home, as well as a pullup and dip bar on the tree in the garden. I work out every week day and find it far more convenient and efficient than going to a gym with all the irritations and distractions there.

The only thing I miss is deadlifting heavy but as I find out when I do it occasionally, like on holiday, the heavy swings preserve my ability to deadlift at least up to 150kg or so.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Wendler 531 is worth a look

Or

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

Both incredibly simple and will help with progression.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I must be one of those few people. I have a range of single kettlebells from 16 to 48kg at home, as well as a pullup and dip bar on the tree in the garden. I work out every week day and find it far more convenient and efficient than going to a gym with all the irritations and distractions there.

The only thing I miss is deadlifting heavy but as I find out when I do it occasionally, like on holiday, the heavy swings preserve my ability to deadlift at least up to 150kg or so.

it sounds like you have been training a decent amount of time and know what you are doing , you are right the gym can be distracting at times but i prefer the large variety of equipment at my local gym which far exceeds what i have the room for or could afford at home ( it also forces me out to the gym to train - ive seen many rowing machines and treadmills in peoples home turned into clothes hangers - regardless of equipment training at home takes a lot more discipline imo as its just too easy to not bother )

it sounds like you have been training a decent amount of time and know what you are doing , you are right the gym can be distracting at times but i prefer the large variety of equipment at my local gym which far exceeds what i have the room for or could afford at home ( it also forces me out to the gym to train - ive seen many rowing machines and treadmills in peoples home turned into clothes hangers - regardless of equipment training at home takes a lot more discipline imo as its just too easy to not bother )
    Agreed on all fronts, you're right. Discipline is the key, and forming a solid habit.

Craftsman
    I've found StrongLifts is excellent, based on the 5x5 approach

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

This. I do 2 full body workouts a week using heavy compound barbell and dumbbell exercises. Absolutely hate it but have done it for 12 years now.
    Last edited by ODP; 7th May 2024 at 17:56.

For recording workouts, I use the free version of Heavy Set.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Whatever training or fitness regime is adopted, it's essential to write down and record everything, I`ve recently rediscovered this basic fact. Years ago when I ran seriously I always kept a training diary, when I had to stop I also stopped keeping diaries or any record of training /fitness sessions. Last Christmas, faced with advancing years and an expanding waistline (never a good look for a bloke with a small frame) I bit the bullet and resolved to get seriously fit again. From January all gym and running sessions have been recorded in an A4 desk diary, it's all in there, I can see exactly what I've done complete with comments and any relevant data such as timing runs or calories burnt on the infernal cross-trainer machine at the local gym. After 4 months I can review everything, see how many days included no exercise (and why), it's like reading a bank statement. Training is like drip-feeding money into a bank account, regular inputs mount up to something substantial and reviewing the account statement proves this. Doesn`t need to be anything computer or phone-based, write it in a diary. There's something cathartic about the act of writing it in following a hard session, likewise the days with a black penstroke denoting no exercise can provide a gentle kick up the arse and stimulate self-motivation, especially if there wasn`t a good reason such as illness etc.

Forget the apps, just do it, and be sure to record what's been done. It also helps to plan out a schedule in advance and review progress after 3-4 weeks. Weight lost, inches lost, reduction in resting heartbeat, ability to do more reps at higher weight, running faster, all are means to quantify progress, but the most important one is how you actually feel.

In my own case, I`ve exercised on 91 out of 120 days , 2 bouts of mild illness, after-effects of a shingles jab, a short holiday plus a few days where a rest was needed are the reasons for not achieving better than 75%. Weight has dropped from 12 st 4 to 11st 6, resting heart rate is down to 48, 5-6 mile runs are now achievable albeit slower than I`d like, and clothes now fit much better. Plenty of proof that my own fitness regime works, improved diet has also played its part but I`ve still eaten well and drunk plenty of beer. What I did find hard was the slow progress over the first 4 weeks, prior to Christmas I`d been getting in the gym 2 or 3 times/week so I wasn`t starting from scratch, but it took a while to see (and feel) much progress. Looking at the diary I can see why, a cold/viral illness in early January flared up again twice so I only managed 50% exercise days , without the diary that wouldn't have been so obvious.

Next phase for me is holding the gains and (hopefully) doing more running. May hasn't started well, I'm currently suffering with the cold from hell plus a mild hamstring pull but I plan to get back on the exercise horse over the next few days. Looking at the diary and seeing how much I put into the first 4 months is helping and it'll be good to start filling in some exercise sessions rather than the black penstroke!

Just do it, and write it down, be self-motivating.........it works!