closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Women's Football Thread

Hybrid View

The Women's Football Thread

This is a place where people can post their experiences of their teams and generally discuss the topic. It's also another way for me to show my daughters how I'm championing their game.

For around a decade now I've been around women's and girl's football due to my daughter's involvement. Involvement in the sport has grown steadily and beyond anyone's expectations during that time. The 2022 Euros helped bring it to the mainstream and attendances have increased as a result.

I'm a passionate advocate of the women's game. I know it's not for everyone and I accept that but what I'd ask doubters is to give it a go. Come to a stadium and feel the welcoming atmosphere. Go to a grass roots game and see the passion and commitment the girls have, even at the early ages.

The biggest mistake people make is to compare it to the men's game. Don't. It's a different game. It's a game of it's own merit.

I've watched my youngest, now 13, go from a child who wouldn't say boo to a goose (stupid saying) to a young person who lives for the game, is passionate about the female version, is 100% committed to every minute of every game she plays and is driven to reach the highest level she can.

She's recently left the club she played for since the age of seven in search of competition and development. That's a massive decision for a 13 year old girl to make. It's also a big commitment for me as it's on the other side of the water (wees keys are theeese keys?) but I'll do anything and everything so she can follow her dream.

She's been part of the NUFC development centre and now wants to progress to the next level; the Sunderland Academy of Light. Sorry I just threw up in my mouth.

Anyway, my point is that the game can be great if taken on its own merits. We attend a lot of Newcastle United Women's games both at their usual home ground and when they play at the Mecca of Football, the Cathedral of the Hill; St James Park.

Attendances are always huge and dwarf WSL gates on a regular basis. Please consider the team plays in the National League, that's four leagues below the WSL. It's basically the equivalent of the Vanarama National League. The standard is pretty poor yet we regularly get gates of 25k at St James and today was no exception for the visit of Bradford City Women.

Another amazing turn-out in excess of 24,000 saw us win 6-1. The standard is poor but the enthusiasm and commitment is great.

I'm so proud of every girl who plays football. Remember, they weren't allowed to play for 50 years. I'm so proud of our club for supporting the girl's team the way they do. Amanda Staveley and her husband attend a lot of games. Great leadership. They were there again today. There's no limit to where this team can go with this leadership.

Those of you involved or interested already will know what I'm talking about. I'd urge those who don't to at least give it a go.

Here's a few pics from today.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 16th April 2023 at 19:18.

Master
    Well said.

Paging Kirk280
    Paging Kirk280

Strewth that’s an impressive turnout for a lower league women’s team.
    Up until a few years ago I used to go fairly regularly to watch Chelsea WSL team when they played just up the road from me in Staines when we lived near there before their move to Kingstonian.
    When I first went I didn’t have high expectations but that only lasted until kickoff, full blooded challenges and the one thing you notice pretty quickly is there’s no diving or rolling around like the men’s game.
    I took my young Arsenal supporting niece along once and she was hooked, she now gets her dad to take her to Kingston to watch the Blues regularly.

Excellent, she’s the next generation!

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Strewth that’s an impressive turnout for a lower league women’s team.
    Up until a few years ago I used to go fairly regularly to watch Chelsea WSL team when they played just up the road from me in Staines when we lived near there before their move to Kingstonian.
    When I first went I didn’t have high expectations but that only lasted until kickoff, full blooded challenges and the one thing you notice pretty quickly is there’s no diving or rolling around like the men’s game.
    I took my young Arsenal supporting niece along once and she was hooked, she now gets her dad to take her to Kingston to watch the Blues regularly.

Master
    Been watching women's football for years, went to the world cup in France and due to a mess up with the FA sat with the England players families which was great.
    I like the way they don't think they are god's gift and have so much time for the fans compared to the men's even at lower leagues.
    A friend's daughter chased the dream for a while with a WSL team but decided to get a proper education and so the club told her she could leave and now plays to a reasonable level a couple of leagues below.

Sent from my moto g53 5G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    As a CFC supporter i can only say thank goodness for the WSL and kudos to all involved in the Women’s game.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

So how does the league structure work, if Newcastle are in the fourth tier, how come man united started from scratch as a club in tier 2, surely we should of started at the bottom rung

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Fantastic!

As father who's son's TeamNL sailing career ended when Covid hit our shores, I can tell you that I know what you're feeling and what sacrifices you had to make.

Only yesterday, we drove by the spot where someone told us that our son '...might be a talented sailor...' and how that changed the last ten or so years of our family's life. Time-wise, financially etc. But I would do it again, all over again. As said it ended when Covid hit and currently he's coaching the Dutch Antilles Laser sailing squad, part of a support program of the Dutch Olympic Committee.

My son, now grown-up, has been 'formed' by all the ours training, traveling and regattas. He has become an absolutely stable guy who has seen parts of the world and who's capable of taking care of himself. We never doubt his travels or adventures.

I'm glad that you support your kid. My wife had a heated discussion with her hair dresser. She (the hair dresser) has a talented 16 y/o who's breaking Track and Field records. He's asked to join the Dutch Olympic Youth Team, but his mom... "I'm not going to spend so much time on him, it's only running!" That didn't go well with my wife who has tried to convince the boy's mom that a talent like this should be developed.

Anyway, don't hesitate to update us on your daughter's quest for the WC or Olympic Gold! (I'm restarting Bend It Like Beckham tonight ;-) )

That Sir is the $64000 question. They should have started at the bottom but hey, it’s Man Utd so they get what they want. It’s totally unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    So how does the league structure work, if Newcastle are in the fourth tier, how come man united started from scratch as a club in tier 2, surely we should of started at the bottom rung

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Really tough game for Chelsea today. 27k at the Bridge, Barca had full control of the game really, but Erin Cuthbert was excellent

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

She is excellent. Always going to be a tough game and tie. My girls are devastated at the loss of Leah Williamson for Arsenal and England. ACL injuries in the women's game are a real problem and urgent research is needed to understand why and what can be done about it. There's currently around 60 players out with ACLs across just the top five European leagues. That's a massive concern.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Really tough game for Chelsea today. 27k at the Bridge, Barca had full control of the game really, but Erin Cuthbert was excellent

I've been following the women's game primarily because Fran Kirby was friends with my son and daughter from primary school onwards. She used to come round ours with a football tucked under her arm so my son Paul would have a kickabout on the green with her (my daughter never really became interested in playing). Fran's mum Denise was an amazing woman who ferried her everywhere in pursuit of the game, from local team practice and games to gaining a place in Reading's academy aged 7. Tragically Denise died when Fran was only 14, before she experienced any major success, and this affected her deeply (obviously) and at one point we thought she was going to give up on the game completely. She didn't and the rest is history, but because of this I have a great interest in the women's game - although I don't actually support Chelsea who Fran plays for!

Master
    Why does she have to move? Is the Mag setup not as good?

“She's been part of the NUFC development centre and now wants to progress to the next level; the Sunderland Academy of Light.”

Not yet it isn't. I'm sure in time the owners will make it happen but currently we don't have an academy set up for girls but Sunderland's has been established and successful for years.

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    Why does she have to move? Is the Mag setup not as good?

“She's been part of the NUFC development centre and now wants to progress to the next level; the Sunderland Academy of Light.”

Craftsman
    I've followed the women's game on and off from afar but not yet made it to a match. My son is right into football and my daughter is starting to get a bit interested too, so if she's keen I'll support and encourage her as I have done with him! I love football myself and think it's great for kids to get involved in organised sport.

It's fascinating to me how the sport (as mentioned above) was developed for men, by men, and therefore the knock-on effects for women in terms of injuries can be stark. On that, this was a good read: https://www.football365.com/news/lea...john-nicholson

As an Arsenal fan, we've lost arguably our three best players - Mead, Miedema, and Williamson - to ACL injuries this season. Not to mention a host of other injuries hitting the squad. I really admire this team and hope the likes of Katie McCabe is having a word with the men's team to get them fired up for Wednesday night!!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    I love this post and your enthusiasm to support your daughter and help her achieve her ambitions is admirable

I run a girls u13 team, and have done since my daughter turned 9 and I used to run boys teams before that with my lad whos now playing mens football and I have to say Ive loved seeing the growth and development of the game with more and more girls taking part, the Euros had a great impact and captured the hearts of the nation and with the impending world cup on the horizon I expect the rise and demand will once again increase and its great to see the number of games that take place now at grass roots level

On to the professional game -we go and watch games as and when just follow anygame really weve seen Arsenal, Lewes, Man utd, Chelsea and were off to Watford on Thursday and Ive thoroughly enjoyed all of them - you dont have the tribalness that you get at the mens games and I admire how robust the players are, no diving or any of the antics you get in the mens game and its a great environment for a family to enjoy football.

I have a friend whos daughter is a pro at Birmingham and has recently been called up to play for her country and Ive loved seeing her growth and passion for the game and I wish your daughter all the best in realising her goals

Great post

QUOTE=TaketheCannoli;6194299]This is a place where people can post their experiences of their teams and generally discuss the topic. It's also another way for me to show my daughters how I'm championing their game.

For around a decade now I've been around women's and girl's football due to my daughter's involvement. Involvement in the sport has grown steadily and beyond anyone's expectations during that time. The 2022 Euros helped bring it to the mainstream and attendances have increased as a result.

I'm a passionate advocate of the women's game. I know it's not for everyone and I accept that but what I'd ask doubters is to give it a go. Come to a stadium and feel the welcoming atmosphere. Go to a grass roots game and see the passion and commitment the girls have, even at the early ages.

The biggest mistake people make is to compare it to the men's game. Don't. It's a different game. It's a game of it's own merit.

I've watched my youngest, now 13, go from a child who wouldn't say boo to a goose (stupid saying) to a young person who lives for the game, is passionate about the female version, is 100% committed to every minute of every game she plays and is driven to reach the highest level she can.

She's recently left the club she played for since the age of seven in search of competition and development. That's a massive decision for a 13 year old girl to make. It's also a big commitment for me as it's on the other side of the water (wees keys are theeese keys?) but I'll do anything and everything so she can follow her dream.

She's been part of the NUFC development centre and now wants to progress to the next level; the Sunderland Academy of Light. Sorry I just threw up in my mouth.

Anyway, my point is that the game can be great if taken on its own merits. We attend a lot of Newcastle United Women's games both at their usual home ground and when they play at the Mecca of Football, the Cathedral of the Hill; St James Park.

Attendances are always huge and dwarf WSL gates on a regular basis. Please consider the team plays in the National League, that's four leagues below the WSL. It's basically the equivalent of the Vanarama National League. The standard is pretty poor yet we regularly get gates of 25k at St James and today was no exception for the visit of Bradford City Women.

Another amazing turn-out in excess of 24,000 saw us win 6-1. The standard is poor but the enthusiasm and commitment is great.

I'm so proud of every girl who plays football. Remember, they weren't allowed to play for 50 years. I'm so proud of our club for supporting the girl's team the way they do. Amanda Staveley and her husband attend a lot of games. Great leadership. They were there again today. There's no limit to where this team can go with this leadership.

Those of you involved or interested already will know what I'm talking about. I'd urge those who don't to at least give it a go.

Here's a few pics from today.

[/QUOTE]

It was my daughter’s cup final this morning where they outplayed the league winners the whole game but drew 1-1 and lost on pens. Gutted.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations to our ladies for their third in a row FA cup maybe some of the overpaid ponces in our men’s team might take note.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Congratulations to our ladies for their third in a row FA cup maybe some of the overpaid ponces in our men’s team might take note.
    Wish I could say the same, Mart

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Wish I could say the same, Mart
    Tony both our clubs are not having the season we hoped for at least in CFC case as a lifelong supporter just glad the club still exists after HMG’s virtue signalling last year and hopefully with Poch a new beginning in your clubs case who knows i think Ryan Mason is a good guy but like Frank has he got what it takes at this level? I can see Brendon Rogers up next.

Emma Hayes is unmatched in the women's domestic game.

Her changes totally won that for the Chels.

A courageous and astute manager.

Although it could be argued that Harder changed the game when she came on. Either way I won a nice little fifty notes on the result.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Emma Hayes is unmatched in the women's domestic game.

Her changes totally won that for the Chels.

A courageous and astute manager.

Harder, Ingle, Carter, and Buchanan, all came on and made a difference. The timing of each change was spot on and arguably Chelsea finished with a stronger 11 than the one they started with.

Parris and Toone both off before the end for Man U and the whole team disappeared a bit after the goal. Chelsea could have had a couple more from that point.

No excuses about missing players, Emma Hayes just comes up with a game plan for the resources she has and the oppo in front of her and has a bunch that will execute for her. Today they were just staying in the game in the first half, adjusted at half time, and then just raised it with Harder and Ingle adding extra quality.

They are not loads better that the others but they seem to just find away to beat them

I was planning to take a friend of ours and her daughter, a Chelsea nut but couldn’t go to Wembley yesterday as I’m on crutches for the next week or so I persuaded her dad, a Tottenham season ticket holder to go instead.
    Needless to say she and her mum had the best day and even the Dad admitted to cheering when the goal went in.
    It must’ve made a change for him to go to Wembley and come away with a smile.