closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

Hybrid View

Big week ahead: Susan Crichton, Chris Aujard and Angela van den Bogerd.

Crichton and Aujard, the most senior lawyers at the PO. The inquiry/SPM lawyer vs. PO lawyer sessions are fascinating.

van den Bogerd was Vennells’ sidekick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For another opinion on proceedings, try The Law Society Gazette.

From 5 February 2024:

Lawyers hauled before the Post Office Inquiry have been lambasted as part of victims’ summing up of the handling of Horizon fraud prosecutions.

In the latest phase of the public inquiry, representatives of sub-postmasters took turns to criticise the conduct of external and in-house lawyers who worked on their convictions.

Sam Stein KC, instructed by Howe & Co representing more than 200 sub-postmasters, said the evidence had ‘pulled back the curtain on the decades of the Great Post Office Cook-Up and Cover-Up’.He said there had been an ‘appalling lack of professionalism’ among lawyers and a refusal to investigate the Horizon system because of what it would reveal.

Stein referred to Mandy Talbot, an in-house lawyer, as the ‘Post Office’s very own ”evil robot”, saying that she was supposed to be responsible for civil actions but ‘deliberately inserted herself in the wider dealings with Horizon cases’...

Or their take on Rodric Williams.

Well, today's 'episode' is becoming quite revealing and the credibility of Susan Crichton is there for all to see. Selective memory overdrive! How do these people get such senior positions in companies? Let's change the word 'bug' to something less emotive and, more importantly, critical!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I've not really been paying too much attention to it this morning.........but the alternative 'wording' email piqued my interest a lot. With every witness that stands we can see more and more evidence of the corporate cover up.

If I've heard "As I recall" and "To the best of my recollection" from Susan Crichton once today, I've heard it a dozen or more. Cautious doesn't quite cover it.

The higher up the tree they climb, the more you can see their arses.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    If only Fujitsu had snuck in to change Angela van den Bogerd’s evidence

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8...e640cde2fd2587

Craftsman
    The Peter Principle seems to apply to those at the top of POL. That is on top of them being loathsome individuals who’ve been caught out.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well, AvdB was a cold cookie. Brazen. Deflected everything.

Next up (mainly) for me is Jarnail Singh at the end of next week. Then it's a bit of wait for the main event, PV.

I also see that Gareth Jenkins is slated for four days at the end of June. That's going to be heavy duty.

Why does it need to take so long?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Dunno but from observation if you are say a humble carer, just one example, and you mistakenly tick the wrong box on the application form, then the full weight of the authorities drops on you post haste from a great height. Weird.

It's almost as if when a person is perceived to commit a crime against the State, even if it be an honest mistake, that such is dealt with incredibly seriously and at pace YET when the State commits a heinous crime against the people...In this instance the State being represented ''at arms length'' by the PO and Fujitsu, then the wheels of justice will most assuredly grind at glacial pace, the State's Ministers distracted, appeased with obscuration from the ''arms length'' arm's myrmidons.

I reckon when you outsource, proxy the states' institutions and functions more often than not you'll eventually get a pretty poxy state and bad things can, will happen to good, decent people in the cause of profit and cover up's.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th April 2024 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    As for the Inquiry, I'd say because it is looking into events that took place over 16 years, involved many people (both perpetrators and victims), at least two major companies, several legal firms, mountains of correspondence etc etc. Add to that, it is being conducted in public because it this is a matter of major public concern.

Most Court cases are much more limited involving legally defined offences, not more than a few defendants and evidence limited to matters immediately related to the accusation. The Inquiry is trying to find out if what if any misdemeanours have been committed and by whom. Thus it is an investigation (subject to a MoU with the Met), needs to be comprehensive and so is necessarily lengthy.

Hugh Flemington today, Head of Legal.

Multiple choice answers:

1. I can’t recall, or
    2. I can’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah - he's a twat.

Bet all his diaries have long gone.

Well- he took no responsibility, was the vaguest of vague and then ended with an apology (of sorts).
    Last edited by blackal; 30th April 2024 at 13:07.

I haven’t watched, or kept up with this as much as I would like to.

Is it just everyone covering their own arses, or has there been any proper smoking gun moments?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I haven’t watched, or kept up with this as much as I would like to.

Is it just everyone covering their own arses, or has there been any proper smoking gun moments?
    To borrow from The Times - they are still looking for Will Smith, dressed in black wiping everyone's memories

Master
    The problem is the PO witnesses are very aware of the risk of criminal prosecution so are not being forthcoming with the enquiry and taking the 5th in the form of collective memory loss.

What's needed is the written evidence to require them to provide a version of their recollection which can then be tested against further evidence; in the absence thereof this was always going to be unsatisfactory.

There needs to be a robust criminal investigation and the current Govt seems to have no real desire to support that.

I think Labour should commit to in-depth investigations with a view to criminal prosecution re the PO scandal, PPE contracts, financial rewards received by MPs, the Russia report, misconduct in public office etc. Without that transparency any future Govt is forever undermined on the basis that most folk think they're all the same and they probably are!

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    The problem is the PO witnesses are very aware of the risk of criminal prosecution so are not being forthcoming with the enquiry and taking the 5th in the form of collective memory loss.

What's needed is the written evidence to require them to provide a version of their recollection which can then be tested against further evidence; in the absence thereof this was always going to be unsatisfactory.

They have all provided a written Witness Statement concluding with "I believe the content of this statement to be true" and are asked to confirm its content at the beginning of their oral evidence.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    They have all provided a written Witness Statement concluding with "I believe the content of this statement to be true" and are asked to confirm its content at the beginning of their oral evidence.
    Yeah, my reference was to the need for credible evidence that could be put to them that would necessitate them recounting memories to defend themselves and incriminate others. Otherwise it looks like we'll end up with nobody being personally and substantively responsible for such an enormous scandal...

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post

There needs to be a robust criminal investigation and the current Govt seems to have no real desire to support that.

I think Labour should commit to in-depth investigations with a view to criminal prosecution re the PO scandal, PPE contracts, financial rewards received by MPs, the Russia report, misconduct in public office etc. Without that transparency any future Govt is forever undermined on the basis that most folk think they're all the same and they probably are!

I think that the future problems that Labour will have with the whole population - the things you mention, should be pretty popular (and just).

Master
    I only listened for a short while, think it was a couple of days ago now, but one line of inquiry was to evidence the PO's over reliance on the accuracy of Horizon data; the example was along the lines that just prior to one SPM admitting guilt based on Horizon data, the PO were aware that the new SPM was having similar issues with Horizon and had established ongoing theft by an employee's son but that wasn't disclosed or factored in by the PO.

If they didn’t know then they were not doing their job.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    If they didn’t know then they were not doing their job.

I've run public organisations with hundreds of staff - albeit nowhere near on the scale of the PO - but it simply isn't credible that senior leaders had no inkling there were serious problems. It just doesn't work that way.

They knew because it would have been impossible for them not to know, particularly given the years of ongoing campaigning and stories in the media.

So that leaves only one conclusion in my opinion - they knew there was a good chance that people had ben wrongly prosecuted and convicted, but decided to deny this possibility and continue with unsafe prosecutions. If that isn't criminal behaviour then our judicial system is toothless and pointless.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    The scale of the cover-up is truly shocking, hopefully some serious prison time awaits.

J Singh is really being put through the ringer by counsel today. It'll be all out war when the CPs get their turn!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    J Singh is really being put through the ringer by counsel today. It'll be all out war when the CPs get their turn!
    He's come up with a new line..."Not my job".

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    The scale of the cover-up is truly shocking, hopefully some serious prison time awaits.
    I am not holding my breath for this. "We will learn lessons from this" is bound to be trotted out. Call me cynical, but I have seen it too often in the past.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I am not holding my breath for this. "We will learn lessons from this" is bound to be trotted out. Call me cynical, but I have seen it too often in the past.
    I don't disagree, although I do wonder what the potential for civil prosecutions could be?

Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

Yes his obsequious statements were laughable and the inquiry lawyer knew it and opened up with them.

A deluded individual, who played with words for Jack Straw (never liked him) and now for the Refugee Council.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 14th May 2024 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Yes his obsequious statements were laughable and the inquiry lawyer knew it and opened up with them.

A deluded individual, who played with words for Jack Straw (never liked him) and now for the Refugee Council.

One of the frightening things is that many of these, should we say "incompetents"move onto other, well paid, responsible positions. How do they get away with it?

Another corporate affairs reptile today. Unbearable and unfortunately so familiar in the workplace.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not only complicit, but also tried desperately to force the Post Office Head of IT to cover it all up

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2546169.html

Never is a prison sentence so richly deserved

Link not working
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Link not working
    Works for me

Looks like Crozier is a liar too.

Crozier’s claim he was unaware of Post Office scandal undermined by letters https://on.ft.com/3WLvYnR

Looks like Crozier is a liar too.

Crozier’s claim he was unaware of Post Office scandal undermined by letters https://on.ft.com/3WLvYnR

That was always clearly bullshit.

I have said before, there is simply no way that these very senior managers were not aware that there were serious questions over the safety of so many convictions. They knew, but they let them go ahead anyway and covered up the issues.

And now some of them are shitting themselves that they might actually have to answer for the appalling tragedies they have wreaked on so many lives and families.

And accountability is the one thing none of them like in any way. They expect to be paid huge salaries and yet have no actual responsibility, legal, moral or otherwise.

I hope Vennels is absolutely shredded at the inquiry, but even if she is, the MET are not exactly known for being proactive when it comes to the rich and powerful.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    And now some of them are shitting themselves that they might actually have to answer for the appalling tragedies they have wreaked on so many lives and families.
    They clearly care about very little except for saving themselves.

What they will properly be sh1tting themselves about is being criminally prosecuted.

ICYMI...Former Post Office GC Jane MacLeod:

One of the key legal figures in the later years of the Post Office scandal is refusing to appear before the public inquiry, it emerged today.

Jane MacLeod, who was general counsel from 2015 to 2019, was listed to appear as a witness next month to explain her role in the civil litigation that ultimately fully exposed the scandal.

But her name has subsequently disappeared from the list. During cross-examination of chief financial officer Alisdair Cameron, he had said that the government-ordered Swift review, from 2016, was not being shared with him because MacLeod had said it was privileged. Cameron suggested to the inquiry that she may disagree with this when she appeared at the inquiry.

Counsel Jason Beer KC said: ‘We are not going to hear from her. She lives abroad and won’t co-operate.’

MacLeod was head of the Post Office legal team during the
    Bates v Post Office litigation and is believed to have advised chairman Tim Parker not to share the review authored by Treasury lawyer Jonathan Swift KC. This review had found ‘real issues’ for the Post Office...

Isn't it funny our government won't get directly involved in the post office fiasco and prosecute those concerned, yet when someone though no fault of their own https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-69031180

^^^In would like to see how that plays out when he criminal proceedings start.

^^^In would like to see how that plays out when he criminal proceedings start.
    Rather than bullying into agreeing to pay the money back (wonder where they learnt that it does sound awfully familiar ?)

Just a heads up - this next week Wed to Fri it's the one we've all been waiting for.......PV herself.

Last week she 'dumped' a lot of newly 'found' material to the inquiry (50 docs apparently). I wonder what surprises those will bring, to her favour of course.