closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 66 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,300 of 5013

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Though if you want your battery (or solar) system to power your house in the event of a power cut you need your house system setup for "islanding" in order to do so. Its kot automatic, as normally the system will shut down in the event of a power cut. This is stop your house sending power to the grid when people are likely to be working on it, expecting it to be safe.

True, and a point a lot of people don't realise apparently.

I've just received an email with 0% interest now on Tesla's, still too expensive and still not sure but maybe in a couple of years, then I may look again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, can sit smugly awaiting the next one.
    Must be exhausting being that negative

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Must be exhausting being that negative
    Power back on?

Just replaced the front tyres at 24,000 miles which compares fairly well with non EVs I've owned. There was probably a couple of months left before they reached legal minimum but I've some long runs in unpredictable Scottish weather imminent.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Power back on?
    And a rapier wit to go with it,

What's your problem?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    True, and a point a lot of people don't realise apparently.
    Yes you need a certain type of install to get that functionality, adds another 1k or so. To be fair probably not worth it but when the EV to house protocol becomes more widespread that should achieve the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Interesting stuff.

Yes you need a certain type of install to get that functionality, adds another 1k or so.
    Standard set up with a Tesla power wall as far as I’m aware.

To be fair probably not worth it but when the EV to house protocol becomes more widespread that should achieve the same thing
    As long as the car’s at home during the power cut…

Master
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...nsurance-costs

A few insurers not offering renewal and others increasing by 2-400%

Master
    Standard set up with a Tesla power wall as far as I’m aware.

As long as the car’s at home during the power cut…
    Yes std with the power wall but they are expensive as batteries go.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

Thought id do a compare the market quote on my EV (VW ID5) added breakdown, legal cover etc, £300 excess and they ranged from £480-£800. The guy in your link is clearly an idiot and the story has been cherrypicked. The value of my car is double the one in the story.

Master

In the middle of that article;

It comes as all motorists face soaring insurance costs, with prices said to be at an all-time high. A recent cost of living bulletin from the Office for National Statistics revealed that the price of car insurance – which for many Britons is one of their biggest household bills – is up by 52.9% in the last 12 months.

However, this average masks bigger increases for electric car owners, according to Confused.com. Its figures, derived from quotes, show that insurance premiums for electric vehicles are 72% – or £402 – higher than this time last year, at a typical £959. Meanwhile, for petrol and diesel car drivers, the increase is 29%, or £192, taking the figure to £848.
    Isn’t the story really EV drivers are paying around 12% more for insurance?

That said, I’d be horrified to be paying anywhere near those numbers to insure any car, my current car is less than half that ‘typical’ £959 to insure, renewed about 4 months ago.

The decision by Tesla to build the Model Y with a structural battery pack is coming home to roost I think, at least until repairers and the insurance industry catch up.

It does feel like insurance is the cherry on the top of the inflationary cake at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Isn’t the story really EV drivers are paying around 12% more for insurance?
    Knock-on effect for all drivers too as increasingly likely an accident will involve an EV.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Thought id do a compare the market quote on my EV (VW ID5) added breakdown, legal cover etc, £300 excess and they ranged from £480-£800. The guy in your link is clearly an idiot and the story has been cherrypicked. The value of my car is double the one in the story.
    Most things like this are cherry picked and highlight worse case scenario.It’s the cost of repairing that’s the main issue and yes the main gust is EVs are more expensive to insure. Wether it stays that way is another matter and I guess we’ll see in a few years.

Master
    Most things like this are cherry picked and highlight worse case scenario.It’s the cost of repairing that’s the main issue and yes the main gust is EVs are more expensive to insure. Wether it stays that way is another matter and I guess we’ll see in a few years.
    New EVs are generally more expensive to buy as well, and therefore more costly to replace, if not repair.

Feels right that premiums would reflect that increased exposure to insurance underwriters?

Master
    New EVs are generally more expensive to buy as well, and therefore more costly to replace, if not repair.

Feels right that premiums would reflect that increased exposure to insurance underwriters?
    Don’t disagree although (although cost to buy isn’t why insurance premiums are higher as a £60kev will be more expensive to insure than a £60k ICE)refusing to insure and thereby restricting choice isn’t great.

Volvo's take on the total CO2 issue, using the EV and ICE versions of the XC40 for direct comparison.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Volvo's take on the total CO2 issue, using the EV and ICE versions of the XC40 for direct comparison.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
    Not a true well to wheel comparison.

I don’t see anything around the CO2 emissions of producing electrickery from wind and the upgrade to the National Grid.

Manufacturing process of windmills and huge concrete foundations etc is hugely energy and CO2 intensive.

I have long since trusted stats produced by anyone with a vested interest.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I think he is smarting from the something like £50k he has personally lost in depreciation. I’d be p1ssed off with EVs too if I had just spaffed £50k up the wall.

Plus he does exaggerate for clicks as his channel is monetised.

He has it easy compared with me, as he has a driveway. Yet, having driven my EV for 4 months, I am positive about the experience.

He never mentions the positive aspects, e.g. with home charging your tank is always full when you leave the house, and you can fill your tank for a fiver with cheap overnight electrickery.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

I don’t see anything around the CO2 emissions of producing electrickery from wind and the upgrade to the National Grid.

Manufacturing process of windmills and huge concrete foundations etc is hugely energy and CO2 intensive.

To be fair to Volvo, they state that the “Product Life Cycle Accounting and Reporting Standard” published by the Greenhouse Gas Protocol has been used as guidance in methodological choices.

Not a perfect analysis maybe but still worth a look.
    Last edited by gunner; 2nd October 2023 at 10:33.

Nor does it include the construction costs of oil wells, refineries, transportation etc. ad infinitum.

You can only go so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Nor does it include the construction costs of oil wells, refineries, transportation etc. ad infinitum.

You can only go so far.
    Yep, agree with all of that.

Well/windmill to wheel comparison is the only true way, but incredibly complex.

Master

You need to read the whole report really, they do explain in section 3.4 and the earlier Scope paragraphs what they’ve included.

https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/-...lca-report.pdf

Infrastructure costs have been included where they’re known, but I think it’s fair to say that whether it’s power stations, wind turbines or solar panel farms, or oil rigs, refineries, helicopters and support ships there are overheads in getting energy to where it’s needed.

Arguably, both petrol/diesel and electricity are by products of infrastructure that we require whether there are cars on the road or not.

Volvo don’t currently make any effort to make their cars carbon neutral at point of delivery, which would help whatever is powering them. VW state all their ID models are built on Carbon Neutral factories and all CO2 caused by the build is offset. Whether anybody believes them or thinks it matters is another issue.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/elec...y-to-zero.html

With the UKs energy mix, an electric XC40 is hitting carbon neutrality at the 30-40k miles mark, the next 100k or so will be much better for our air quality and CO2 emissions.

A point often overlooked is that EVs benefit from reduced carbon emissions as our electricity production gets lower carbon, something that can’t happen in an ICE fleet unless the car is replaced with a more fuel efficient model.

We can argue that EVs aren’t solving the worlds emissions problems, and I’d agree, but I’d point out that they were never going to, but a move to something more sustainable is preferable to not having personal transport at all, which is what will happen if we do absolutely nothing.

Master
    I think he is smarting from the something like £50k he has personally lost in depreciation. I’d be p1ssed off with EVs too if I had just spaffed £50k up the wall.

He has it easy compared with me, as he has a driveway. Yet, having driven my EV for 4 months, I am positive about the experience.

He never mentions the positive aspects, e.g. with home charging your tank is always full when you leave the house, and you can fill your tank for a fiver with cheap overnight electrickery.
    Yes, a click bait video for sure, which I was reluctant to watch for that reason.

I know that area very well, at one point he drove past my father’s house!

Not sure when it was filmed, and not sure why he headed for a single BP Pulse charger further away than an MFG hub with 7x rapid chargers at Desford, that all take contactless payment.

One grating thing he kept saying is ‘are we ready for all cars to be electric from 2030, no chance’, when that has never been the plan. It’s a decades long transition, and saying that repeatedly is just dumbing down an issue to a meaningless level.

The infrastructure needs to be better, everybody who drives an EV will tell you that, but the whole conversation deserves better than black or white positions and clicks driven YouTube videos.

I get discounted EV charging countrywide through my employer.

Prices have just jumped for rapid and ultra rapid by 20-30% blamed on increased transmission costs.

Also my Ionity discount I get through Volvo for one year has jumped 15% recently. Presumably for the same reason.

While it seems to be cheaper and cheaper to charge a car at home, it gets more expensive to charge remotely.

Craftsman

It feels like I'm the only EV owner in the UK whose insurance actually went down this year.
    Renewed last month, went from £850 p/a with Admiral (they wanted to renew at £1100), down to £650 p/a with Esure, like for like insurance, 5 yrs ncb.

Master
    Yes, a click bait video for sure, which I was reluctant to watch for that reason.

I know that area very well, at one point he drove past my father’s house!

Not sure when it was filmed, and not sure why he headed for a single BP Pulse charger further away than an MFG hub with 7x rapid chargers at Desford, that all take contactless payment.

One grating thing he kept saying is ‘are we ready for all cars to be electric from 2030, no chance’, when that has never been the plan. It’s a decades long transition, and saying that repeatedly is just dumbing down an issue to a meaningless level.

The infrastructure needs to be better, everybody who drives an EV will tell you that, but the whole conversation deserves better than black or white positions and clicks driven YouTube videos.
    Totally agree - I have a diesel for long journeys as (a) the public charging network is a bit rubbish (b) my Leaf has a short range. So I'm one of those who simply avoids the long-distance problems for now, though when I am on longer trips I tend to look at the charging situation and I've yet to be at a motorway services when I'd not have been able to charge my car, had I wished to. Sample of 1, I know, but it seems to me that it's improving rapidly - there are more chargers, they power up at a faster rate, and as competition takes hold, you'll see the electricity price fall. A long way to go though.

It’s pricks like this that spread huge amounts of poor information. It’s hardly wonder there’s so much rubbish on the net about Evs. He’s bought a car which clearly isn’t fit for his purpose and goes out the way to find issues including charging. I looked before at his route when he posted that junk and he completely omitted the part he had smoked past several charging station in the area that were available. As I said he’s a prick with a one way agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeez D, chill, it's one blokes opinion and nothing more.

Master
    It’s really a bit more than that though isn’t it, it’s a video designed to drive traffic to his YT channel, effectively he’s being paid for it which means you can’t rely on it to be an honest opinion.

Given the cynicism on here nowadays, I’m surprised more people don’t see it for what it is.

If I had a YouTube channel, it would die a death as nobody wants to watch stories that involve uneventful journeys where the type of power turning your wheels is irrelevant. :-D

It’s really a bit more than that though isn’t it, it’s a video designed to drive traffic to his YT channel, effectively he’s being paid for it which means you can’t rely on it to be an honest opinion.

Given the cynicism on here nowadays, I’m surprised more people don’t see it for what it is.

If I had a YouTube channel, it would die a death as nobody wants to watch stories that involve uneventful journeys where the type of power turning your wheels is irrelevant. :-D
    I have no affiliation with the channel or the person and most (if not all) Youtube channels with a decent number of followers get revenue from it.

Sometimes a completely opposite/biased view is worthy of note.

There are plenty of channels doing just what you propose!.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really scary figures those. My two insurance policy’s renewed last week and today were £297 2021 2.0d X3 and £157 for my TR6. It will be a long long time before I go electric.

Craftsman

I think most of it is click bait - in the depreciation video he wasn't certain if he was leasing it or on a PCP. If that wasn't for effect anyone who enters into that level of finance without at least a basic understanding of what they are letting themselves in to deserves everything they get imo
    I also believe he did an EVs are rubbish because they run out of charge without checking when he was going to run out of charge. One of his videos was enough for me !

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    I think most of it is click bait - in the depreciation video he wasn't certain if he was leasing it or on a PCP. If that wasn't for effect anyone who enters into that level of finance without at least a basic understanding of what they are letting themselves in to deserves everything they get imo
    I also believe he did an EVs are rubbish because they run out of charge without checking when he was going to run out of charge. One of his videos was enough for me !

He seems to have built a YouTube channel narrating his way around fish and chips shops in the truly sh1te holiday resorts of the world. That and slagging off his EV. He needs a proper fooking job.

Clickbaiter clickbaits, nothing more.

I have never seen an honest or accurate clickbait. Sleazy way to make a living IMO.

Master
    I think most of it is click bait - in the depreciation video he wasn't certain if he was leasing it or on a PCP.
    Either way then, depreciation shouldn’t be a concern for him, when the lease is up he hands it back, or if it’s a PCP he can walk away before the balloon payment is due with nothing further to pay assuming he’s done the agreed mileage and looked after it.

He needs a proper fooking job.
    He has done a video about that as well!.

Craftsman
    He has done a video about that as well!.
    When people stop watching he'll need a proper job then !! Presumably as long as you've got a consistent history, income from YouTube is good enough to secure a mortgage, finance etc ?

When people stop watching he'll need a proper job then !! Presumably as long as you've got a consistent history, income from YouTube is good enough to secure a mortgage, finance etc ?
    Some people make very good money via Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Really scary figures those. My two insurance policy’s renewed last week and today were £297 2021 2.0d X3 and £157 for my TR6. It will be a long long time before I go electric.
    Why though? I'm a massive petrol head but also an EV convert. I've just re-insured my Tesla for £909, yes it's quite expensive but as is the car, plus it's insured for 20k business miles per annum as well as personal use. It's similar performance to say a C63 AMG and suspect the insurance on that wouldn't be too dissimilar.

Some people make very good money via Youtube.
    And some YouTubers are very good, very creative and deserve all the success and rewards that coming with it.

And then there is MacMaster.

And some YouTubers are very good, very creative and deserve all the success and rewards that coming with it.

And then there is MacMaster.
    There is room for all.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Maybe worth checking for yourself on, say, a 2021 iX3 before dismissing it out of hand.

That’s if you want to of course?

Obviously, there’s nothing to compare the TR6 against but that’s a different story

There is room for all.
    Oh yes. MacMaster is a genius compared to some of the dross that gets pumped out.

Noted, and apologies as it wasn't directed at you. Ive just seen an awful amount of this guys context and it follows a similar theme. I would have thought he'd have chucked that in by now and gone back to ICE if he's that disillusioned by it.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 2nd October 2023 at 18:33.

Cheap charging for anyone on Octopus Agile tonight.

Last edited by gunner; 2nd October 2023 at 18:32.