closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 67 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,350 of 5013

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Cheap charging for anyone on Octopus Agile tonight.
    But only cheap (sub 10p/kWh) for 3.5 hours.

I’m happy with my 9.5p/kWh I get for 7 hours between midnight and 7am every day of the year.

At 10p/kWh a fill up costs not much more than a fiver, so there is only so much you can save beyond that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Cheap charging for anyone on Octopus Agile tonight.

Does that mean at 430am they pay you to take it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Noted, and apologies as it wasn't directed at you. Ive just seen an awful amount of this guys context and it follows a similar theme. I would have thought he'd have chucked that in by now and gone back to ICE if he's that disillusioned by it.
    No worries - I guess he is not a candidate for an EV, but he has one and clearly seems very unhappy about many aspects.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Yep!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Maybe worth checking for yourself on, say, a 2021 iX3 before dismissing it out of hand.

That’s if you want to of course?

Obviously, there’s nothing to compare the TR6 against but that’s a different story
    Did a check on confused nearly £800 not as bad as I thought, but still nearly triple.

https://youtu.be/44IHYmyMiWw?si=T7QWMPgxhNr9el7j

Absolute melt, he buys a 120k car and doesn't even know what finance package he has on it!! FFS
    This is the kind of content he kicks out,19 very telling minutes of a halfwit who's just going this for the clicks.

Absolute melt, he buys a 120k car and doesn't even know what finance package he has on it!! FFS
    This is the kind of content he kicks out,19 very telling minutes of a halfwit who's just going this for the clicks.
    And a several hundred thousand boat load of clicks before his head is above water on this one.

I bet if his motor hadn’t depreciated like Wile E. Coyote off a cliff, he may enjoy it a little more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    And a several hundred thousand boat load of clicks before his head is above water on this one.

I bet if his motor hadn’t depreciated like Wile E. Coyote off a cliff, he may enjoy it a little more.
    Look on the bright side, means somebody else might be able to afford to enjoy it after him. 🙂

As I said earlier though, if it’s leased or a PCP, depreciation isn’t his problem.

Funny isn’t it, so many complaints about the high cost of buying EVs, but now they’ve taken a (probably temporary) nose dive in depreciation and are affordable to more people, everyone is moaning about that!

What a tool….

He needs a calculator to work out £80,000 less £53,000…..hilarious.
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 2nd October 2023 at 19:58.

He probably needs instructions on toilet roll too

yep

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Funny isn’t it, so many complaints about the high cost of buying EVs, but now they’ve taken a (probably temporary) nose dive in depreciation and are affordable to more people, everyone is moaning about that!
    Actually, if he'd bought a high spec Cayenne (a GTS, something like that) he'd have lost about the same amount over the same period. Big Porsches depreciate like a falling log, always have, which is why you can buy a ten year old Panamera/Cayenne for £10-15k.

I was chatting with a friend last night. He's got a big birthday coming up early next year & is considering going full-EV & treating himself to a new KIA EV6GT as his 'exit' car (he'll be 70).

His first shock was that it's going to cost him approx. £40k cash to change from his 4 year old Jag XF diesel to the KIA. (£20k-ish trade-in vs. £60k-ish purchase price, I think.)

The second shock was that he's been told his current sub-£300 insurance will go up to almost £2k.

The third shock is that he will need to upgrade his domestic electricity distribution to prepare to install a home charger: another almost £2k including charger, he reckons.

He's got another few days to decide whether to order or not. I think he's going to do it!
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I was chatting with a friend last night. He's got a big birthday coming up early next year & is considering going full-EV & treating himself to a new KIA EV6GT as his 'exit' car (he'll be 70).

His first shock was that it's going to cost him approx. £40k cash to change from his 4 year old Jag XF diesel to the KIA. (£20k-ish trade-in vs. £60k-ish purchase price, I think.)

The second shock was that he's been told his current sub-£300 insurance will go up to almost £2k.

The third shock is that he will need to upgrade his domestic electricity distribution to prepare to install a home charger: another almost £2k including charger, he reckons.

He's got another few days to decide whether to order or not. I think he's going to do it!
    he should shop around for insurance, thats mental, it costs me less than 450 euro to insurance an etron 55 which is less powerful but more expensive. To be fair he is going from probably 240 -270 or so bhp to 580, but still.

Master

I have to say that in those circumstances I wouldn't. Obviously going from a well-depreciated car to a full-list one is always a massive cost and would occur regardless of whether electric/diesel etc. But £40k's a lot to stomach.

The insurance I just don't get - I got quotes for me recently on several Teslas and a Jaguar iPace and they were £800-1000 for me, which is about the same as a same-age S-Class (a sensible comparator, I thought). I appreciate that all insurance companies are putting prices up across the board, but shopping around should see him reduce that £2k by a decent chunk.

I don't know anyone who's had to have much work done to install a home charger - unless he wants to charge faster than c.7kW. There will be those who want to charge faster (up to 22kW), but then you need three-phase. Given that the EV6 GT only has an 11kW onboard maximum, I'd go with a standard charger. Yes, he'll only get 7kW of charge, but if he goes for three-phase he'll be paying for a bunch of capacity he simply can't use.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post

I don't know anyone who's had to have much work done to install a home charger - unless he wants to charge faster than c.7kW. There will be those who want to charge faster (up to 22kW), but then you need three-phase. Given that the EV6 GT only has an 11kW onboard maximum, I'd go with a standard charger. Yes, he'll only get 7kW of charge, but if he goes for three-phase he'll be paying for a bunch of capacity he simply can't use.
    i have heard of this in ireland in older houses (1960s and earlier) even just to get 7kw charging (upgrading tails etc)

Master
    At our old house, to fit a 7kW charger I had to have a new Consumer Unit fitted as the regs require that an EV charger should be on a dedicated circuit and there were no spare slots left on the old one. It was also quite old so made sense to upgrade to a current one in a metal casing.

That electrical work and the cost of the new consumer unit, Type B RCD, cabling and charger was over £1k, so £2k in todays inflated climate and need for chargers to be ‘smart’ it doesn’t sound too bad.

3 phase would cost a whole lot more, so wouldn’t have thought that was what was quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    i have heard of this in ireland in older houses (1960s and earlier) even just to get 7kw charging (upgrading tails etc)
    Added cost if your charger isn't being installed close to your consumer unit too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    At our old house, to fit a 7kW charger I had to have a new Consumer Unit fitted as the regs require that an EV charger should be on a dedicated circuit and there were no spare slots left on the old one. It was also quite old so made sense to upgrade to a current one in a metal casing.

That electrical work and the cost of the new consumer unit, Type B RCD, cabling and charger was over £1k, so £2k in todays inflated climate and need for chargers to be ‘smart’ it doesn’t sound too bad.

3 phase would cost a whole lot more, so wouldn’t have thought that was what was quoted.
    I stand corrected!

My home charger (up to 7kW) slotted into a recently installed consumer unit, hence it was about £400.

Master
    I stand corrected!

My home charger (up to 7kW) slotted into a recently installed consumer unit, hence it was about £400.
    Yep, the house we’re in now had a good consumer unit and a dedicated 32A CeeForm socket in the workshop near where we park, so it was easy and relatively cheap to replace that with a new Wallbox Pulsar Plus.

Craftsman
    Ordered a VW ID Buzz today and really excited for it

Fully loaded it with options as I plan on keeping it for a long time

I’ve asked for Sep 24 delivery as I have to keep my current car until then

Master
    Here in the Netherlands they are going to tax these Ev’s more and more. Word is that manufactures won’t be able to be all Ev productive by 2030 as mentioned before.

Actually, if he'd bought a high spec Cayenne (a GTS, something like that) he'd have lost about the same amount over the same period. Big Porsches depreciate like a falling log, always have, which is why you can buy a ten year old Panamera/Cayenne for £10-15k.

Sorry, that is not quite correct. A Turbo Cayenne (SUV or Coupe versions) do fold in value as they are all seen as complete overkill for the Used market over the V6 and S models......but that is simply not the case at all for any GTS version which are highly sought after.

Same applies for the Coupe only Cayenne GT too.

You might want to warn him to also factor in 44% depreciation in the first two years......if he has an ounce of sense he'll ditch the idea or run it only via a PCP or PCH agreement to mitiagte the biblical depreciation that Kia will suffer.....and definitely do not pay cash for it!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Sorry, that is not quite correct. A Turbo Cayenne (SUV or Coupe versions) do fold in value as they are all seen as complete overkill for the Used market over the V6 and S models......but that is simply not the case at all for any GTS version which are highly sought after.
    You’re entirely right! The GTS models are probably the only ones that don’t tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post

Same applies for the Coupe only Cayenne GT too.

You might want to warn him to also factor in 44% depreciation in the first two years......if he has an ounce of sense he'll ditch the idea or run it only via a PCP or PCH agreement to mitiagte the biblical depreciation that Kia will suffer.....and definitely do not pay cash for it!!
    I’ve always used 50% every three years as a reasonable rule of thumb although it’s generally greater for more expensive cars. In that scenario, 44% over two years, whimsy maybe a little high, is not outstandingly bad. Certainly no more so than, say, an M5 or AMG Merc.

https://youtu.be/NbnYahNK8Zg?si=Gnu_EKr6JXKGqEa7

Another piece of outstanding content from The Mac twatster, i particular like the bit where he was filming as he tried to open the door. He also goes on to say he's heard that the door issue can happen when the 12v battery goes flat, then jumps in and closes the door. What he fails to realise, probably to help him create clicks, is that its the 12v battery and the same thing could happen to any car. This guy is an copper bottomed dick.

Craftsman
    https://youtu.be/NbnYahNK8Zg?si=Gnu_EKr6JXKGqEa7

Another piece of outstanding content from The Mac twatster, i particular like the bit where he was filming as he tried to open the door. He also goes on to say he's heard that the door issue can happen when the 12v battery goes flat, then jumps in and closes the door. What he fails to realise, probably to help him create clicks, is that its the 12v battery and the same thing could happen to any car. This guy is an copper bottomed dick.
    Can't stand his videos. Such bottom of the barrel clickbait rubbish, filled with misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    Can't stand his videos. Such bottom of the barrel clickbait rubbish, filled with misinformation.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHakmL6eEc

The rebuttal to many of the myths. Some very interesting points especially the cobalt etc. Although inevitably a bit of selection too eg the weights.

The biggest question still being "Why don't journalists do their job and research before writing their rubbish" although Giles Coren confessed he wrote his EV stuff for clicks.

I can’t believe all the ridiculous stories in the media at the moment about EV’s. Most sound made up, owners spending north of £50k on a car then moaning they don’t know where to charge it up, or it doesn’t have enough range for their 260 mile each way daily commute to the outer Hebrides. Are we actually supposed to believe these stories are real? Or are people really that stupid??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I can’t believe all the ridiculous stories in the media at the moment about EV’s. Most sound made up, owners spending north of £50k on a car then moaning they don’t know where to charge it up, or it doesn’t have enough range for their 260 mile each way daily commute to the outer Hebrides. Are we actually supposed to believe these stories are real? Or are people really that stupid??
    People get lulled into a false sense of security maybe. Realities are the complete opposite to the portrayed image IMO. I have a few weeks wait for my charger install and without one at home you are screwed. Just takes time to adjust i guess. While I was at a out of service charge point Saturday, I was regretting my decision straight away :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    There are absolutely made up and nonsense anti-EV stories in the mainstream press every day.

There’s a YT’er I follow just posted a video a couple of hours ago (Bjorn Nyland) who is complaining how the Sun has butchered one of his ‘drive to zero’ videos to mis-represent and concoct a story about how crap EVs are.

https://youtu.be/70TzHCIBkos?si=JkPBzypwZhKFO9db

Anti-EV stories get clicks, the media are desperate for them, drives traffic to their often dying websites. Perhaps there’s more going on, there are definitely organisations that stand to lose from the current direction of travel.

Craftsman
    I'm still considering an EV but could you imagine the tabloid headlines if petrol cars were being introduced now; so it works by creating explosions just a couple of feet ahead of the drive. A by product of these explosions are gases that are harmful to humans. The fuel is highly flammable and has a low flash point as well as being toxic. Oh and by the way you shouldn't use water to extinguish it if it does ignite etc etc

The tabloids seem to have certain topics they seize upon which I presume they believe drive clicks to their websites

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHakmL6eEc
    Giles Coren confessed he wrote his EV stuff for clicks.
    He bought a car that didn't fit his use case. Simple stupidity.

He also bought a JLR product and expected reliability. Which is brave / stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    I'm still considering an EV but could you imagine the tabloid headlines if petrol cars were being introduced now; so it works by creating explosions just a couple of feet ahead of the drive. A by product of these explosions are gases that are harmful to humans. The fuel is highly flammable and has a low flash point as well as being toxic. Oh and by the way you shouldn't use water to extinguish it if it does ignite etc etc

The tabloids seem to have certain topics they seize upon which I presume they believe drive clicks to their websites

The motor vehicle, if it were introduced now wouldn't be a thing full stop, let alone the discussion about what powers it. 2 vehicles- many tonnes, heading towards each other in some places less that a few feet apart doing upwards of 60 mph…..jeez.

Master
    Blog Entries

What’s next pumping a flammable gas in into every UK home…..

Master

Plus the fuel has to drilled for in harsh environments, transported, refined. The engine is full of metal bits and fluids all whirring and sloshing around and require maintaining.

Master

It shouldn’t have been necessary to replace the existing consumer unit, when my charger was done they just added a separate mini CU for the charger

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    It shouldn’t have been necessary to replace the existing consumer unit, when my charger was done they just added a separate mini CU for the charger

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, that was offered as an option, but it was neater and more sensible to upgrade the old plastic unit with hard fuses to a metal RCD one.

Cost wasn’t that much extra.

Master
    Review on High peak motors of an Audi etron on YouTube. 90k car. Matt takes it on a drive. Interesting comparison to the £1500 s class he drove a couple of weeks ago

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Review on High peak motors of an Audi etron on YouTube. 90k car. Matt takes it on a drive. Interesting comparison to the £1500 s class he drove a couple of weeks ago
    I've just watched that I thought he made some interesting points. It does seem the infrastructure at the current time doesn't quite allow for a relaxed road trip. I'm not an EV owner but requiring you to download an app that then doesn't work would raise my blood pressure above a safe level !

Master
    Oil up 4% after the weekend and expect more especially if Iran get involved. What are the predictions on fuel price ?

Master
    I've just watched that I thought he made some interesting points. It does seem the infrastructure at the current time doesn't quite allow for a relaxed road trip. I'm not an EV owner but requiring you to download an app that then doesn't work would raise my blood pressure above a safe level !

Very few App only chargers now, it’s been a legal requirement for some time that Rapid chargers should be contactless and subscription free. You can of course subscribe to some networks and use an App, but you don’t have to. I’m thinking Gridserve, Instavolt, Ionity (although I think you still need the App on legacy ones, even if you’re paying there and then), BP Pulse, Shell, MFG and Geniepoint. Tesla where they’re open to non-Tesla’s also require the App.

I tend to use my debit card on the reader for anything other than Ionity where I have an RFID card at preferential rates as a subscriber.

Oil up 4% after the weekend and expect more especially if Iran get involved. What are the predictions on fuel price ?
    It will increase for sure.

EV honeymoon period will continue to dwindle now the date has been pushed back. I suspect that the negative press will get some more traction as time goes on and the government (regardless of which one it is) will not want to loose revenue.

Personally it does not fit our usage currently and I am not prepared to pay the current quoted prices for car insurance (we pay less than £1k for 2 cars and I was quoted £1.5k for a Tesla with £500 excess).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Very few App only chargers now, it’s been a legal requirement for some time that Rapid chargers should be contactless and subscription free. You can of course subscribe to some networks and use an App, but you don’t have to. I’m thinking Gridserve, Instavolt, Ionity (although I think you still need the App on legacy ones, even if you’re paying there and then), BP Pulse, Shell, MFG and Geniepoint. Tesla where they’re open to non-Tesla’s also require the App.

I tend to use my debit card on the reader for anything other than Ionity where I have an RFID card at preferential rates as a subscriber.
    The issue was the charger wasn't accepting contactless payments - presumably a software issue at the time , the app wouldn't work either so in the end he managed to get it to take Apple Pay but I could understand his frustration

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    The issue was the charger wasn't accepting contactless payments - presumably a software issue at the time , the app wouldn't work either so in the end he managed to get it to take Apple Pay but I could understand his frustration

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    There was a time when many chargers defaulted to free vend if they had comms issues/went offline, but I suppose that’s not so much an option since electricity became a relatively expensive commodity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It will increase for sure.

EV honeymoon period will continue to dwindle now the date has been pushed back. I suspect that the negative press will get some more traction as time goes on and the government (regardless of which one it is) will not want to loose revenue.

Personally it does not fit our usage currently and I am not prepared to pay the current quoted prices for car insurance (we pay less than £1k for 2 cars and I was quoted £1.5k for a Tesla with £500 excess).
    Tesla’s aren’t the only EVs, nor the iPace for that matter.

I insure a 300ps ID.4 for £450 a year, including class 2 business cover. The Tesla is getting on for £1k, but with nearly 500PS, performance is firmly in the very quick area to be fair.

There does appear to be a race between negative press and positive press and experience for those already driving EVs.

The car industry is moving on with or without the UK, they have to as the law requiring manufacturers to ensure they sell an increasing number of EVs or face up to £15k fine for each non-EV sold if they haven’t hit EV manufacturing targets hasn’t been pushed back. I can’t see them making UK only ICE models, and they probably couldn’t afford to with the fines structure, they’ll just continue to put the steering wheel on the right (wrong?!) side for whatever else they’re making for Europe.

Still plenty of time for the transition, nobody needs to panic, interesting few years ahead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Two electric cars in my household (Enyaq and Zoe) and we are paying just over 1k for the two of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Two electric cars in my household (Enyaq and Zoe) and we are paying just over 1k for the two of them.
    i pay around £400 equivalent to insure my wife and I on an etron 55