closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Energy costs up by £425

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    Bulb seem to think I’ll be paying an additional £3.63 per week which I thought was crazy initially. From reading the comments here though it sounds like it’s in line with everyone else.

Master
    my DD for gaz & leccy has gone up, from £31 a month to £38; with Avro Energy.. I searched on compare the market, and when you include the suppliers/tariffs that they can't switch you to, Avro still worked out best, for me anyway.. One big racket I think..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    my DD for gaz & leccy has gone up, from £31 a month to £38; with Avro Energy.. I searched on compare the market, and when you include the suppliers/tariffs that they can't switch you to, Avro still worked out best, for me anyway.. One big racket I think..
    I’ve got to ask, is there a typo with your figures? I was paying more than that as a single guy living alone 20 years ago.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’ve got to ask, is there a typo with your figures? I was paying more than that as a single guy living alone 20 years ago.
    It's possible. Insulation on (some) new builds is exceptional. I pay £130 a month for my Victorian pile, my friend across town in a larger 3 yr old house pays £70. Even accounting for temperature preferences, that's a heck of a difference.

Craftsman
    I nearly started a thread on this the other day. I too had heard of the rises and only now as my current fixed deal is expiring in 3 weeks, I can’t find anything less than a 50% increase. Paying £125 per month and after spending an hour or so using all the different comparison sites and also a few obscure names directly, the cheapest I can get is £186 per month and even that is not letting me accept on-line due to demand. An extra £750 a year is a big hit.

Master

Energy costs up by £425

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    It's possible. Insulation on (some) new builds is exceptional. I pay £130 a month for my Victorian pile, my friend across town in a larger 3 yr old house pays £70. Even accounting for temperature preferences, that's a heck of a difference.
    I can see your point if his property uses gas central heating and he doesn’t turn it on but what about his electric? Even with minimal use he’s still going to have items pulling energy 24 hours a day. Pretty much all kitchen appliances are connected 24 hours a day, even when not in use. More so with smart homes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can see your point if his property uses gas central heating and he doesn’t turn it on but what about his electric? Even with minimal use he’s still going to have items pulling energy 24 hours a day. Pretty much all kitchen appliances are connected 24 hours a day, even when not in use. More so with smart homes.
    Standby items draw almost insignificant energy - in fact there's legislation to make sure they do so.

Any non-networked electrical devices sold after 2013 should not consume more than 0.5 watts in standby mode

According to Energy Saving Trust, it’s estimated that the average UK household spends £30 per year leaving devices on standby.
    The last time we spent 3 weeks away during Summer, my electric bill for the month was £30 and that was with two servers running 24/7
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 1st September 2021 at 09:31.

Master
    Just in time for all the new electric cars. I wonder if its to do with the companies beginning to offer special rates for charging cars and therefore having to catch up by charging more to everyone???

Master
    Current deal due to end on 28/09/21, after the fixed rate ends im looking at 47.5% increase from the same provider, time to do some shopping!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Current deal due to end on 28/09/21, after the fixed rate ends im looking at 47.5% increase from the same provider, time to do some shopping!
    seems via Uswitch there were no better deals and staying with the current provide was the thing to do - until i realised that uswitch show only the deals they can facilitate as default. Go into the filter and turn this off, youll see all the deals available. school boy error.

Master

sorry - only just seen your reply and queries..

no typo - I was paying £31 a month for both gas & leccy, gone up v recently to £38 with Avro. I think they only have one tariff.. I'm £260 in credit at the moment with them.

I live in a small terrace house, just me & 2 cats..

House was renovated 2 years ago - new gas central heating (never had c /heating before!), wt Bosch boiler. new d/glazing & every wall and ceiling was re plastered. Ceilings were quite bad so had plasterboard as well, the kitchen also needed boarding before plastering. Loft was relagged and boarded. The house seems to retain the heat which is good but not so good when we have hot weather and I have to have a fan on all night.
    I have no tumble dryer and do not do any ironing & I've got a dishwasher but have never used it..

I'm on a water meter - and pay £11 a month! my cousin in comparison in Newton Abbot, pays nearly £80 a month just for her water but that is in a large Edwardian town house with her daughter & 2 kids living in the basement flat..
    Last edited by bry nylon; 2nd September 2021 at 06:41.

^ Good effort on the low monthly bills and using good insulation rather than excessive heating. In my 2nd home, a large old tenement flat, which I use 5 days out of 7, my monthly DD is £28 and I'm also in credit - I only put the heating on when it goes below 12c. I prefer the cold, and I'm sure it's healthier.

Master
    sorry - only just seen your reply and queries..

no typo - I was paying £31 a month for both gas & leccy, gone up v recently to £38 with Avro. I think they only have one tariff.. I'm £260 in credit at the moment with them.

I live in a small terrace house, just me & 2 cats..

House was renovated 2 years ago - new gas central heating (never had c /heating before!), wt Bosch boiler. new d/glazing & every wall and ceiling was re plastered. Ceilings were quite bad so had plasterboard as well, the kitchen also needed boarding before plastering. Loft was relagged and boarded. The house seems to retain the heat which is good but not so good when we have hot weather and I have to have a fan on all night.
    I have no tumble dryer and do not do any ironing & I've got a dishwasher but have never used it..

I'm on a water meter - and pay £11 a month! my cousin in comparison in Newton Abbot, pays nearly £80 a month just for her water but that is in a large Edwardian town house with her daughter & 2 kids living in the basement flat..
    I’m going to show this to my kids so they know that our usage isn’t normal. I’m forever telling them to take their electronics off charge when they are full, stop leaving lights on, stop leaving the tv on when they are both on their phone etc etc. My 10yr old boy is quite happy to sit around the house in his pants and then moans it’s cold when I open the windows to leave fresh air in

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m going to show this to my kids so they know that our usage isn’t normal. I’m forever telling them to take their electronics off charge when they are full, stop leaving lights on, stop leaving the tv on when they are both on their phone etc etc. My 10yr old boy is quite happy to sit around the house in his pants and then moans it’s cold when I open the windows to leave fresh air in

You're not a proper parent until you start to complain about heating, leaving stuff on or excessive toilet roll usage

But isn't having electronics on charge minimal? Probably 5W when the thing is drawing power and less than 0.5W when not drawing power? That's less than 1p per day even if an iPhone is plugged in 24/7. Always thought electronics, TVs, consoles etc pale into insignificance compared to heating the house and water, and using big appliances.
    Last edited by Christian; 2nd September 2021 at 13:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    But isn't having electronics on charge minimal? Probably 5W when the thing is drawing power and less than 0.5W when not drawing power? That's less than 1p per day even if an iPhone is plugged in 24/7. Always thought electronics, TVs, consoles etc pale into insignificance compared to heating the house and water, and using big appliances.
    Dunno but my annual electricity bill said I’d used 4500kwh of electricity when the UK average for a 3 bedroom house with 3-5 people occupancy is just under 3000.
    My heating is gas and I’m under the national average with that as my ethos is, if you are cold and you are wearing a t-shirt, stick a jumper on, not the heating.

Master
    I don't think charging the electronics will rack up the kW's, but a washing machine for instance will definitely do that, so with kids your machine is going to be used a lot and that will get the meter spinning. I got a new Bosch w/ machine last year and have only used the quick, light load, half hour wash cycle so that doesn't use much leccy..

Thinking back to my house refurb, I now remember that all the walls& ceilings had plasterboard put up and were re plastered.. I think doing that has helped retain the heat and also helped a bit with soundproofing..

I must be doing ok if I get the jukeboxs' seal of approval
    Last edited by bry nylon; 2nd September 2021 at 13:25. Reason: double post

I must be doing ok if I get the jukeboxs' seal of approval
    Top marks!

Blog Entries
    Couldn't be bothered with all the checking prices thing so we go through 'Look After My Bills'. Was a bit sceptical but seems to work. We were with Peoples Energy until a month or so ago, now they've switched us to 'green'.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.