closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Energy costs up by £425

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    That's actual usage, electricity is high due to the large hot tub that resides in the garden which is a good extra quid a day or so based on comparisons with it turned off vs on
    Lovely stuff!

Got this today from Eon - not too terrible:
    http://Untitled by meffiah, on Flickr

Craftsman
    You've already had a price increase a few months ago so this will be the 2nd increase.......

E.ON recently announced a price rise of around 9% for customers on its standard variable tariff. The price rise came into effect on 1 April 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    You've already had a price increase a few months ago so this will be the 2nd increase.......

E.ON recently announced a price rise of around 9% for customers on its standard variable tariff. The price rise came into effect on 1 April 2021.
    Ah - I hadn’t thought of that

I am with Bulb and they told me that my costs for all electric are likely to increase by £1.29 a week. I pay £65 a month by DD and usually end up £130 in credit by the end of the year, which conveniently comes to £650 a year. Being social housing it's cold AF. I only have a bath, no shower, no dishwasher, no freezer. Heating is by a halogen heater or a fan heater. I have a tumble dryer. The immersion heater is on 24 hours a day as the landlord won't fit a timer. It's just me in the house. Two winters ago I tried to keep the temperature at 13 degrees C when I was in the house, but it's fairly miserable so last year I kept it up to 16 degrees C, which is better. This is too cold to be healthy though according to those in the know. I have been at work through the pandemic and the summer has been relatively kind this year.

Bulb also said

Your new prices
    We're increasing our electricity unit rate from 18.876p to 20.824p per kWh and electricity standing charge from 26.881p to 27.384p per day.

These prices all include VAT at 5%.

...and by the way, there is always an electricity price increase just before winter in my experience. I will stick with Bulb, because my time is worth more than small increase, especially when you never know what you are going to.

Master
    I just switched from Eon to Igloo and they have said my DD is going up £20. Kicking myself now for not taking Eons 18 month fixed tariff that was only £6 extra a month than Igloo.

Energy Prices

All,

If anyone needs a referral code for Octopus,

share.octopus.energy/nice-wind-544

I've jumped ship to them from BG. The link above is a referral code for the Old Man!

Best,

Ben

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    http://Untitled by meffiah, on Flickr
    Don't rely on that, . You need to look at the difference in pence per KWh on the old tariff Vs the new.

I’m with Eon but this was formally NPower before they became one and the same. I was on a fixed tariff until July of this year which I’d been on good the last 2 years.

I thought it would be straight forward to shop around, go on some comparison websites and get a comparable/ cheaper deal.

Oh how naive I was. Had alto settle for an increase of £300 as the best option. I looked everywhere, tried different suppliers for gas and electric as well as dual fuel quotes. Nobody could get anywhere near.

The cost of everything keeps increasing and wages are staying broadly static. It’s bonkers.

Master
    Was with GNE for electric who went squit earlier in the year and they moved it to EDF. Part of the deal was offering a cheaper deal than we were on until the end of September. The deal they’ve now offered is nearly treble what I’m paying. Even doing a comparison switch I’m looking at at least 50% more.

Last year oil was around 18p a litre, when I topped up in March it was 40p plus, no doubt that will rocket too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Was with GNE for electric who went squit earlier in the year and they moved it to EDF. Part of the deal was offering a cheaper deal than we were on until the end of September. The deal they’ve now offered is nearly treble what I’m paying. Even doing a comparison switch I’m looking at at least 50% more.

Last year oil was around 18p a litre, when I topped up in March it was 40p plus, no doubt that will rocket too.
    Following Martyn Lewis’s email about my GNE/EDF deal I’ve moved across to Octopus on a 2 year fixed rate deal with no penalties for leaving. A lot more than I’m currently paying, but a lot less than what I’d be going up to. There were a couple of cheaper deals that his comparison site offered but cam with caveats about poor levels of service. Saving a tenner a month for loads of hassle isn’t worth it.

My Solar panels and Tesla Powerwall is looking like a even better investment (providing the sun shines).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    This is an interesting analysis of the situation - no idea if it’s accurate and complete, so that’s a caveat:

https://watt-logic.com/2021/09/21/gas-market-tightness/

The UK is particularly vulnerable to lower volumes of gas in Europe. Since the closure of Rough in 2017, the UK has operated a “just-in-time” approach to gas procurement.”

Master
    My current contract with Avro was coming to an end on 28th Sept 2021 - probably worst time to renew. Best place to go with was Sainsburys on 12m no exit fee deal.

Was paying £101.01 with Avro, now paying £148.09 with Sainsburys (thats dual fuel for both providers). Thats a sweet 47% increase or £565.

Just got wait for the NI changes for the cherry on top!

I am with Avro

this is their current and suggested renewal..

what I found interesting was the reason for the current price rises = The recovery of the economy post Covid has seen a surge in energy demand and low 'wind' ...hmmmm lots of questions ??

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the fire at IFA1 converter has had a big impact on energy bills

https://www.current-news.co.uk/news/...-higher-prices

Craftsman
    I moved to Avro 2 weeks ago and they have already taken the first months payment but it appears any payment (credit on account) will eventually be credited to your new suppliers account once a supplier has been appointed by Ofgem.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...t-aNNsT0m4NIzL

I am with EDF. My deal ended in December so am now on their variable tariff.
    I have a 4 bed detatched ECO house using Ground Source Heat Pump and solar water heating.
    Only electric, no gas or oil. EDF emailed yesterday suggesting I increase my payments as my bill will increase in April from £2120 pa to £3280.
    Over a GRAND at a stroke, then more come the next cap review.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    I have a 4 bed detatched ECO house using Ground Source Heat Pump and solar water heating.
    Only electric, no gas or oil. EDF emailed yesterday suggesting I increase my payments as my bill will increase in April from £2120 pa to £3280.
    ECO house? I pay less than £1800 for a non ECo four bed detached house with no solar anything!

I saw a promoted Facebook post the other day from Martin Lewis and had a read of the comments - always interesting because you see a cross section of society and not just the people you immediately know.

Quite an eye opener that there are a lot of people really going to be hit hard and the pain is immediate as they don't have any leeway to see them through a tough patch cash-flow wise.

Most are saying things like - "I'm just going to cancel my direct debit so that the energy company can't take my money." I foresee a lot of default payments happening.

Quite a few don't seem to understand the concept of wholesale gas prices and world factors on all of this...they just blame what they see as greedy energy companies.

I think we are really going to enter an uncomfortable period of time for the next 12-months with people having to live without basic things like warmth that we have previously taken for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    ECO house? I pay less than £1800 for a non ECo four bed detached house with no solar anything!
    It is quite a "large House" Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    But doesn't it make you feel good to know that you are subsidising the French people

Those not on smart meters, remember to schedule in a meter reading and submission on the 31st March to ensure you actually pay for the energy used up to that point at the older rates rather than leaving it to the company's formula.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Those not on smart meters, remember to schedule in a meter reading and submission on the 31st March to ensure you actually pay for the energy used up to that point at the older rates rather than leaving it to the company's formula.
    Even with smart meters, energy companies are totally shady when it comes to working out what price you pay. I switched tariffs which completed on a specific date, so I made sure I took a reading as late as I could on the day before my new contract started. The energy company refused to use this as my actual reading but used their smart meter derived reading which was taken two days before the new contract started. Out of principle, I queried it, but having to explain it to them was like banging my head against a brick wall and not worth the few pounds it would have saved me! But I imagine they do this to a lot of people and make a lot of money by stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    But doesn't it make you feel good to know that you are subsidising the French people
    Indeed! Although I have more goodwill for them than I do for Richtie. EDF claimed that my supply was 100% renewable. So, wind and atmomic power costs have not changed, have they?

Oh, I forgot, it's "The Market".