closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Energy costs up by £425

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    No pool, we do have 2 EVs but that only explains some of it. Electric usage has gradually increased from 7000 kWh in 2016 to 14500 this year

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    The gas is pretty extraordinary too though, or do you think you know what's causing that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The gas is pretty extraordinary too though, or do you think you know what's causing that?
    It’s a big volume to heat- 200+ Sqm and high ceilings, solid brick walls. There is always someone home so no period when the heating is off during the day. I have reduced the thermostat temperature to 20.5 from 21 which has brought usage down a bit.
    The boiler is a pretty efficient Worcester Bosch thing but a 42kw one as is needed for the heating demand.

"Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    It’s a big volume to heat- 200+ Sqm and high ceilings, solid brick walls. There is always someone home so no period when the heating is off during the day. I have reduced the thermostat temperature to 20.5 from 21 which has brought usage down a bit.
    The boiler is a pretty efficient Worcester Bosch thing but a 42kw one as is needed for the heating demand.

With that level of gas bills, it would be a worthwhile investment to get underfloor heating put in rather than spending a fortune to mainly heat your ceiling with radiators?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    With that level of gas bills, it would be a worthwhile investment to get underfloor heating put in rather than spending a fortune to mainly heat your ceiling with radiators?
    I don’t think you would ever recoup the investment. After shopping around a bit I can get the gas bill down to about £1400 per annum, to strip out the existing heating system with 17 radiators and replace with underfloor heating would be very expensive for the system alone even before considering making good the walls, replacement floor coverings etc.
    Agreed the foot of air directly below the ceiling is appreciably warmer. I expect the top floor landings particularly so since that’s the highest point. Maybe a ceiling fan there to circulate the air a bit would help?

Journeyman
    Just checked mine off the back of this... currently on a 1 year fix ending Feb 2022 so we're ok for this winter but looks like it's going to be an extra £200-250 a year when I do have to renew

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Ours is a 6 bed detached house - similar situation with somebody at home all the time, my wife and I and 2 teenage lads (one of whom is disabled so we keep the house warm at about 20c and the washing machine is on every day) but our gas usage is half that. House was built in 2000, wet underfloor heating that stays on a constant 20c throughout the winter, and all we have gas wise is the hot water and heating. We even have an outbuilding/play room for our youngest and that has been heated by a couple of gas wall heaters for a few hours a day for the last year. Plus our 20 year old seems to have become semi aquatic with his love of showers. So that level of usage is a bit of a shocker tbh, made me feel a bit better about our heating costs though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk