closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Field jacket advice

Hybrid View

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve already looked at most of these and they all have something missing/not quite right. I’m a fussy bugger

1. Barbour: I don’t want an oily wax finish.

2. CC was the closest: good fabric, good colour, made in the UK, but no hood. It’s a small thing but I like that zip on the collar and a hood for those light showers.

3. The Fjällrävens don’t work: the Vidda is too similar to my winter Greenland and the Raven green field jacket is too light green.

4. The Hebtroco is quite nice but wool, and the sales pitch makes my eyes hurt with all the tattooed hipsters in ‘normal’ everyday locations.

5. I think I looked at Filson previously but will go back and see.

So you see my problem. Not only am I a fussy bugger, the market doesn’t seem to do my perfect jacket.

Since writing the OP I discovered that Alpha do a more civvy version of the M65 so I’ve ordered an M and an L to see if it works. It’s all cotton but I thought I could NixWax it. But I’ve also since discovered that the zip in the collar is purely aesthetic and there is no hood, so they’ll probably get returned and I’ll start again or give up.

Any more suggestions welcome in the interim

surplus-army-jacket

I have their chore jacket which is very good. ( Sorry about the Hipsters in the advertising! )

Pentagon Artaxes might do the trick, I have just had one delivered and seems to be fine, with a fleece underneath it should be well cosy.

Schott do an M65 with a real hood. I have one, and its very nice, but would need proofing, or greenland waxing.

It has to be Frahm.

https://frahmjacket.com/collections/...39257301286946

I have one and thoroughly recommended.

Also, lots of positive reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Warr3n View Post
    This made me smile:
    "Fit - Cut for real men's bodies and action"

As for my recommendation, I go for value and function and supporting local - my go-to is Keela (7 years and still going strong). A lot of the prices above are steep, even for long-term wearers.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 22nd November 2021 at 15:11.

Craftsman
    Just picked up a black peregrine Bexley for £66 in a sale. They also had a boulder or Baxter going cheap as well only in small though

Where from? At that price it’d be hard to say no.

Any idea how they fit compared to a Barbour duke?

Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    Just picked up a black peregrine Bexley for £66 in a sale. They also had a boulder or Baxter going cheap as well only in small though

I picked one of these before Christmas prior to Christmas and I'm absolutely delighted with it.

https://grenfell.com/collections/cla...aundered-green

I had a notion that I wanted a jacket in ventile made for Farlows by, I believe, Chrysalis but these seem to have been unavailable for a few years. The detailing and quality is very impressive as is the fact that it was made in their factory in the East End of London. There is quite an interesting history to the cloth.

I suppose I should now start thinking about sending my Barbour in for a refurb - I'm slightly dreading it as there is probably as much jungle tape as there is waxed cotton. A replacement would likely be cheaper but I don't like the fact that the modern ones all have branding on them.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman

Field jacket advice

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I picked one of these before Christmas prior to Christmas and I'm absolutely delighted with it.

https://grenfell.com/collections/cla...aundered-green

I had a notion that I wanted a jacket in ventile made for Farlows by, I believe, Chrysalis but these seem to have been unavailable for a few years. The detailing and quality is very impressive as is the fact that it was made in their factory in the East End of London. There is quite an interesting history to the cloth.

I suppose I should now start thinking about sending my Barbour in for a refurb - I'm slightly dreading it as there is probably as much jungle tape as there is waxed cotton. A replacement would likely be cheaper but I don't like the fact that the modern ones all have branding on them.
    This is where I first clocked Grenfell jackets and was taken by the shooter jacket. I looked into it and browsed the pictures on their website and Facebook and decided I had to have one in navy. It is a 28 day wait after placing the order as they make each jacket to order if bought via website. It has arrived and is absolutely gorgeous and exudes quality.

However, after one wear and removing the hang tags I have concluded I could really do with a smaller size. I bought size 38 but my skinny frame means 36 would fit me better.

So, if anyone here is tempted with the Grenfell shooter jacket, size 38 in navy for a decent discount and without the 28 day wait, let me know!

Link to stock photos :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eby5cSqL65ccjeYp7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eby5cSqL65ccjeYp7

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markl View Post
    surplus-army-jacket

I have their chore jacket which is very good. ( Sorry about the Hipsters in the advertising! )
    I think we might have a winner

Only problem is no stock until 6 December. I would want to order two sizes as well to make sure I got the right fit, although the medium looks pretty spot on.

But 10% off first order. Decisions… decisions …

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I’ve already looked at most of these and they all have something missing/not quite right. I’m a fussy bugger

1. Barbour: I don’t want an oily wax finish.

2. CC was the closest: good fabric, good colour, made in the UK, but no hood. It’s a small thing but I like that zip on the collar and a hood for those light showers.

3. The Fjällrävens don’t work: the Vidda is too similar to my winter Greenland and the Raven green field jacket is too light green.

4. The Hebtroco is quite nice but wool, and the sales pitch makes my eyes hurt with all the tattooed hipsters in ‘normal’ everyday locations.

5. I think I looked at Filson previously but will go back and see.

So you see my problem. Not only am I a fussy bugger, the market doesn’t seem to do my perfect jacket.

Since writing the OP I discovered that Alpha do a more civvy version of the M65 so I’ve ordered an M and an L to see if it works. It’s all cotton but I thought I could NixWax it. But I’ve also since discovered that the zip in the collar is purely aesthetic and there is no hood, so they’ll probably get returned and I’ll start again or give up.

Any more suggestions welcome in the interim
    The M65 is great Jacket and you won't ne disappointed.