closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: best car security lock ?

Craftsman

best car security lock ?

current plague of car theft in my neighbourhood leads me to wondering what is the best car security lock? Is it still yellow circle one that locks around the steering wheel ?
    any advice appreciated thanks
    Last edited by eddie1; 16th May 2024 at 14:19.

The best security is one which stops a potential thief from even trying to steal your car, so it needs to be both highly visible and known to be very difficult to bypass.

As you say, the Diskloq appears to be the best solution currently available at sensible cost. The downside is that it's a bit awkward to put on and off, but if it saves your car then it's probably worth the minor inconvenience. (And, whatever you do, don't lock the Diskloq before you ensure that you have the correct key - and not just one that looks like it - with you. Don't ask me how I know...)

Master
    I think the disklok is still the best deterant. Just the sight of it is enough to put most criminals off. I have the silver one, I always thought the yellow ones were the older version? They are a bit clumsy though as mentioned earlier. I also put a pillow case over my steering wheel first to stop the disklok from damaging the wheel.

If you can also get a pedal box lock for your car that would also add greatly to your security.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My neighbour has one of these on his shiny new Mercedes GLS63s
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stoplock-Pr...fdaa2903f&th=1

It might not be as good as a disclok but it looks vastly less hassle on a day-to-day basis

It always strikes me as a pity that such measures are deemed useful - the last time I used a steering lock was in the '70s. But seeing as another neighbour had his cheaper-but-still-pretty-pricey C63S Cabriolet stolen earlier this month, maybe it was a good investment.

Edit: My neighbour does have a tracker and other security features fitted too

I'm glad Honda CRVs are not generally targets for thieves!
    Last edited by JonRA; 16th May 2024 at 15:36.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I use one of those on my camper van, disclock seemed a bit too much hassle plus where do you put it when not in use ???

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Good point.

I remember steering locks getting slated online 15 years ago. My mates Golf R was stolen with a Stop Lock fitted. He never saw it again.

The better alternative is a quality immobiliser.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    Good point.

I remember steering locks getting slated online 15 years ago. My mates Golf R was stolen with a Stop Lock fitted. He never saw it again.

I think the big flying saucer Disklok is a lot more secure, but in these days of cordless angle grinders, who knows?

I think the big flying saucer Disklok is a lot more secure, but in these days of cordless angle grinders, who knows?
    Yep

Don't know what other security measures they have fitted, bu the problem with a tracker is that it only helps you to get the vehicle back after it has been stolen. Far better to prevent it from being stolen in the first place, if you can.

Problem with an immobiliser is that the thief may already have done quite a lot of damage getting into the vehicle before they discover that there is an immobiliser.

As hogthrob's video shows, most of the "single bar through steering wheel" locks can be defeated with a hacksaw (although that does require the thief to both carry a hacksaw and be prepared to put a new wheel on the car before selling it on - in most cases they will just move on to another vehicle). Many of the cheaper locks can also be defeated by spraying freezing spray (the stuff you can use when plumbing) into the lock and then hitting it hard with a hammer, which can cause the lock to shatter.

you can get trackers that immobilise, and trackers that notify immediately via apps you if your car is started or moved a foot or from a geo-fenced area from were its parked which should allow you to get after it in quick time ,also there is immobilisers/trackers that shut the car down all from your phone , so why use a wheel lock which may cause the thief's to damage your car before they have even got away with it?

Ghost immobiliser and the like.

Master
    Too many still fail to disable keyless entry by double clicking the remote. Keep your key in a rf proof pouch and store away from sight. Disklok (the grey one) is a good visible deterrent, as is a clamp on a wheel. If you have a removable start/stop button remove when parked up for a while eg on holiday. Make your car as difficult to pinch as possible.

The Ghost immobiliser and another one of similar name are highly recommended, especially for very expensive cars or for those most likely to be stolen.

It might not be as good as a disclok but it looks vastly less hassle on a day-to-day basis

It always strikes me as a pity that such measures are deemed useful - the last time I used a steering lock was in the '70s. But seeing as another neighbour had his cheaper-but-still-pretty-pricey C63S Cabriolet stolen earlier this month, maybe it was a good investment.

I'm glad Honda CRVs are not generally targets for thieves!
    The insurance company will insist a car of that value has a tracker

If you have a drive rising bollards are the most effective way, it doesn't matter what they do with the car they can't get it off of the drive, obviously given enough time and can make a lot of noise they can be overcome but it's most likely the thieves will go elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    If you have a drive rising bollards are the most effective way, it doesn't matter what they do with the car they can't get it off of the drive, obviously given enough time and can make a lot of noise they can be overcome but it's most likely the thieves will go elsewhere
    Or even just a locked gate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    The Ghost immobiliser and another one of similar name are highly recommended, especially for very expensive cars or for those most likely to be stolen.
    #

given enough time and incentive can these not be over ridden? Is there not a default factory reset in case of failure eg battery or safety in case of accident? A determined thief taking a £100k car is prob going to have a low loader or someone at the Ghost factory taking a payoff. These criminals arent chancers, they are doing it for a living.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The insurance company will insist a car of that value has a tracker
    All modern Mercedes come with factory fitter trackers, to use it as a pure tracker the the police can follow is by subscription. If you don’t pay up you can still track it but you can’t just give the police the access code so they can access the data.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    All modern Mercedes come with factory fitter trackers, to use it as a pure tracker the the police can follow is by subscription. If you don’t pay up you can still track it but you can’t just give the police the access code so they can access the data.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    But the insurance companies still insist on Thatcham category 5 or 7 for cars worth More than £50k, it costs me a fortune

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    #

given enough time and incentive can these not be over ridden? Is there not a default factory reset in case of failure eg battery or safety in case of accident? A determined thief taking a £100k car is prob going to have a low loader or someone at the Ghost factory taking a payoff. These criminals arent chancers, they are doing it for a living.

Most of the criminals are opportunistic. The ones that are targeting specifically want to go in and out very quickly. They won't have the time or ability to hack etc a ghost immobiliser. You have to set up your own combination of buttons etc in which to press before you can start the car properly.

Master
    I use a Disklok on my car, which I believe are the best steering wheel lock but ridiculously awkward to use. I have gotten used to using it now so not a big issue for me. The problem in our area is that the thieves are blatantly breaking into houses to get the keys. We’ve had so many break ins for car keys in my area it’s scary. Only this week my neighbour had an attempted break in (but failed) for the keys of his X5. Police say this tactic is getting much worse. No matter what steering wheel lock you put on, once they have your keys it’s pretty pointless. The Policeman who came round didn’t recommend putting the keys upstairs, only to entice them up. Things are getting worse, it’s exhausting. The best deterrent is a shitty old car but where’s the fun in that.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Things are getting worse, it’s exhausting. The best deterrent is a shitty old car but where’s the fun in that.
    Or a claymore...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Or a claymore...
    Sword or mine?

Sword or mine?
    This is left at your discretion (and your need to "redecorate" the living room)

It’s obviously not ideal for every solution but I fitted the Defender with a removable steering wheel plus it has an alarm and immobiliser.

Seems to work a charm for an easy to nick vehicle parked on a London street.
    Leaving it covered in dirt and grime may or may not help as well. It’s a health hazard at the moment.

Alsatian or Rottweiler sleeping on the back seat ? :)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Don't know what other security measures they have fitted, bu the problem with a tracker is that it only helps you to get the vehicle back after it has been stolen. Far better to prevent it from being stolen in the first place, if you can.

Problem with an immobiliser is that the thief may already have done quite a lot of damage getting into the vehicle before they discover that there is an immobiliser.

As hogthrob's video shows, most of the "single bar through steering wheel" locks can be defeated with a hacksaw (although that does require the thief to both carry a hacksaw and be prepared to put a new wheel on the car before selling it on - in most cases they will just move on to another vehicle). Many of the cheaper locks can also be defeated by spraying freezing spray (the stuff you can use when plumbing) into the lock and then hitting it hard with a hammer, which can cause the lock to shatter.
    Sadly, there's probably going to be damage with whatever device the criminal use. Damage is one thing but not being able to steal your car is another, damaged or not.

Sadly, there's probably going to be damage with whatever device the criminal use. Damage is one thing but not being able to steal your car is another, damaged or not.
    The way things go the damage would very often be a death warrant for the car anyway(not economical to repair)

A Viper or ghost immobiliser would be my choice. At least the Viper alerts you

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The way things go the damage would very often be a death warrant for the car anyway(not economical to repair)
    Car owners are certainly in a very difficult situation when it comes to car security.

Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    A Viper or ghost immobiliser would be my choice. At least the Viper alerts you
    That's my only choice.

Master
    It’s all futile lads, if the thieves really want your car they will come through your door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    It’s all futile lads, if the thieves really want your car they will come through your door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. And if I lived in a place where that was a common occurrence I’d drive a very boring car indeed with as little appeal as possible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Exactly. And if I lived in a place where that was a common occurrence I’d drive a very boring car indeed with as little appeal as possible.
    Yup as even the ghost immobiliser button sequence can be beaten from you.