closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

Hybrid View

Ok a quick update. Seller raised a dispute with a Breitling I sold saying not as per description, saying crown won’t screw in (was supplied undone) and Watch covered in scratches. This was on Friday.

This morning I got an email saying they have sided with the buyer and are refunding him !!?!?

I asked for a ring back to appeal and asked where is my watch??

The eBay customer service rep (Authentication team) said this shouldn’t have happened and have reversed the refund. He said the buyer is supposed to be sending the watch back to the Authenticator.

He did say that the Authentication report said the watch matched my description 100%.

They are going to ring me back and I will ask them why has the buyer been allowed to return the watch.

So, they rang back and said that the buyer should never have been refunded! I will get my funds released back to me and according to the Ebay customer representative - the case is closed as far as I am concerned.

I double checked this and same Ebay rep said that the Authentication report said that my watch 100% matched the description. Any issues are now between Ebay and the buyer. The Rep said that maybe the watch was damaged in transit and or by the Buyer. Either way it is non of my concern anymore.

The buyer still has to return the watch back to the Authentication centre, but then Ebay will resolve this with buyer.

So theoretically, the system is working. The dispute is now not showing on my seller hub anymore.

However, I can’t but think this isn’t the end of the matter but we shall see.

BTW I did ask what the Authentication process and was told that they produce a written report and in the case of queries there is CCTV of the inspection.
    Last edited by odyseus10; 27th March 2023 at 13:13.

Master
    Glad this worked out for you. The system fails if the authentication process is not integral to establishing condition too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Glad this worked out for you. The system fails if the authentication process is not integral to establishing condition too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app
    Indeed, although I can't say 100% for certain that its settled - at the moment it is, but I just don't trust ebay?

Could this buyer, who most likely paid with a credit card, simply file a complaint with their CC company and request a charge-back?

Master
    Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Glad it seems to be working for you, and would be good to hear how this settles down.

As mentioned, if the Authentication as a process can't be relied on, then the entire thing is pointless. Even if the buyer claims that back against his card, I presume it's him against Ebay, and you shouldn't be involved. But it would be good to know.

Pleased you've had a good result.
    The buyers returned mine to the authentication centre and recieved a refund. My payment is now 'on hold' even though I've already been paid.
    Apparantly I'll have an answer by the 5th April.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by leo1790; 27th March 2023 at 19:42.

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Pleased you've had a good result.
    The buyers returned mine to the authentication centre and recieved a refund. My payment is now 'on hold' even though I've already been paid.
    Apparantly I'll have an answer by the 5th April.

You should ring them up and ask them to tell you about the Authentication report and get them to explain why it was shipped to the buyer, only for them to raise a dispute?

So, just got off the phone with the ebay authentication team, the watch report does match the original listing but they can't offer any other info until they have received the watch back from the buyer.
    She said there's a number of items they need to check against when they receive the watch. I pushed for more info into what happens if they change stance and decide it didn't match the original listing, but she wouldn't elaborate until they have the watch back at the centre.
    I can just see this being a nightmare if the watch is damaged, buyer refunded and the watch returned to me. Legal battle with Ebay? No thanks.

So, just got off the phone with the ebay authentication team, the watch report does match the original listing but they can't offer any other info until they have received the watch back from the buyer.
    She said there's a number of items they need to check against when they receive the watch. I pushed for more info into what happens if they change stance and decide it didn't match the original listing, but she wouldn't elaborate until they have the watch back at the centre.
    I can just see this being a nightmare if the watch is damaged, buyer refunded and the watch returned to me. Legal battle with Ebay? No thanks.
    So basically contradicts everything I was told. If the Authentication team wrote a report saying your watch matches the description then why are they allowing a return..
    What has the buyer claimed and did Tim put through the Authentication Customer Service?

Well, just had an email to say they have decided in the buyers favour and the watch is on its way back to me.
    Haven't got time to call them today so will give them a call in the morning. Can't see that I'll get anywhere with it but I'd like to know what the reasoning is, especially when it's been authenticated and true to the original advert.

Master
    Well, just had an email to say they have decided in the buyers favour and the watch is on its way back to me.
    Haven't got time to call them today so will give them a call in the morning. Can't see that I'll get anywhere with it but I'd like to know what the reasoning is, especially when it's been authenticated and true to the original advert.

That truly is not fair. Do fight it as far as you can.

Master

That's absolutely ridiculous, and makes a mockery of the authentication. The authenticator confirmed it was as the advert - this is only an issue between the authenticator, buyer and eBay. Hope you get somewhere with the phone call, I can't see how this can be appropriate.

I know Scottish Watches have done podcasts WITH the eBay people, who talked up how great their system was (and in doing so pimped it to watch fans). Post phone call it might be worth letting them know what happened with you, so the other side of the story can go out to the world?

Best of luck

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    I know Scottish Watches have done podcasts WITH the eBay people, who talked up how great their system was (and in doing so pimped it to watch fans). Post phone call it might be worth letting them know what happened with you, so the other side of the story can go out to the world?

Best of luck
    I found and listened to that podcast this afternoon. Interesting that say it’s to protect sellers too. That doesn’t seem to be the case in the situation above.

SydR
    From the seller’s perspective they listed the watch honestly and truthfully.

From the buyer’s perspective what they received doesn’t match the description.

The only person in the middle who handled the watch is at the authenticators.

The only fair result here, for both parties, is for eBay to take full responsibility for the actions of their authenticators.

Master
    I think part of the problem is that people are too used to returning items in general. Larger retailers work on ratios but some people are too used to taking the piss

eBay is going to end up buying a lot of damaged watches - which I guess their customer base will be paying for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    eBay is going to end up buying a lot of damaged watches - which I guess their customer base will be paying for.
    Probably explains why I recently saw on there a hint that they may start charging for the authenticity process.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Probably explains why I recently saw on there a hint that they may start charging for the authenticity process.
    They have already started charging business sellers for their authentication service. It will coming to the masses soon I suspect

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    They have already started charging business sellers for their authentication service. It will coming to the masses soon I suspect
    Do you know how much ?

I suspect £100 or so could be worth it.

If it works. If examples above are what is happening then it’s a barge pole situation.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Have they? Have you proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SydR
    I have one I’m buying on the way to the authenticators at the moment.

Master
    I had a private seller cancel a sale a fortnight ago as his fees on a £3.5k watch were £448. Can't see many folk paying anything close to that so it'll be watch sales via occasional offers for most people.

SydR
    The seller of the watch I have bought, and is on its way to the authenticators, told me he initially listed with stock images to get something up when a fees offer was on.

SydR
    Watch on way to the authenticators shows as being delivered this morning at 5:59am and signed for my someone at RAPID LOGIC.

I assume they are the logistics side of the authentication process.

Blog Entries
    I think all in all (and this is probably pretty obvious) stay well clear if eBay unless you accept the one or two trouble makers
    This is my stance for any high value items. For low value tat I use it with no issues at all.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Watch on way to the authenticators shows as being delivered this morning at 5:59am and signed for my someone at RAPID LOGIC.

I assume they are the logistics side of the authentication process.
    Yes that is the name of the place it is delivered to and checked.

SydR
    Yes that is the name of the place it is delivered to and checked.
    Thanks.

Looks like a busy place!

Master
    Thanks.

Looks like a busy place!

Where did you find that picture!?

They even have a 'drive thro' authentication process.

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news...station-in-la/
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

SydR

eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

Where did you find that picture!?
    Seller sent me a tracking number for RMSD to the authentication centre.

The photo was provided as ‘proof of delivery’ to RAPID LOGIC on the Royal Mail tracking app.
    Last edited by SydR; 3rd April 2023 at 09:51.

Thanks.

Looks like a busy place!
    I honestly cannot see how this adds any value to the process?

They have very little chance of being accurate in their assessment given the number of super fakes and franked watches. If they edge towards caution then it additionally stalls the process. I cannot see me buying/selling any decent value item on eBay again.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

SydR

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I honestly cannot see how this adds any value to the process?

They have very little chance of being accurate in their assessment given the number of super fakes and franked watches. If they edge towards caution then it additionally stalls the process. I cannot see me buying/selling any decent value item on eBay again.
    Despite eBay putting this in place there is still, very much, an element of buy the seller as always.
    Last edited by SydR; 3rd April 2023 at 11:12.

Got my watch back, it all seems to be in original condition, no items missing (which I was concerned about as I'd sent the original clasp and extra links in a pouch in one of the watch box compartments).
    Going to give them a call tomorrow to find out the full reason for them accepting a return. One of the reasons the buyer gave to me was that the warranty card hasn't been stamped and there wasn't a swing tag.
    Got to say the box it came back in didn't fill me with much hope as it was single boxed with dents all over it, but maybe I'm just a bit more clinical when it comes to sending a watch worth a few grand.

SydR
    Glad you got it back without anything damaged or missing.

It is a case of sellers needing to be incredibly specific about what is and isn’t included?

SydR
    Well to say I’m unimpressed with the authentication process is an understatement.

The watch has arrived with be today. Described as in excellent condition, with box, warranty card, hang tag and receipt.

One of the items is missing and both the top and bottom of the lugs are scratched from strap changing marks. One of the top of a lug is quite deep. Photos were obviously carefully taken to mask these. The watch can in no way be described as in excellent condition so I fail to understand why this was not brought to my attention by the authenticators.

In discussions with the seller at the moment.

Had a email from eBay authenticity about a watch I was in the process of buying listed as immaculate I guess some peoples views of immaculate are very different from mine
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 8th May 2024 at 18:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Had a email from eBay authenticity about a watch I was in the process of buying listed as immaculate I guess some peoples views of immaculate are very different from mine
    Are you saying that the Authenticator was taking a qualitative view on your behalf, with a view to rejecting the watch on condition (va description) rather than authenticity per se?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Are you saying that the Authenticator was taking a qualitative view on your behalf, with a view to rejecting the watch on condition (va description) rather than authenticity per se?
    I think so from what he said and my experience.

I bought a watch which went through and had similar email, showing couple marks seller didn’t say and then mentioned a discrepancy on the warranty card vs what’s on listing and gave option of accepting or refusing the watch based not matching description and photos on listing

Craftsman
    I bought a watch on Tuesday which has just failed the authentication service. No issues with the process and I’ve been refunded already, but just curious as to whether you get sent the reasons why it failed?

There’s no info other than just a generic message saying it failed.

It looked kosher from the photos, and the seller had a decent amount of 100% feedback.

Annoying as I used the 10% off code and now that’s not available for me to use on anything else.

Even if a watch is what I think 100% I’d never say that .
    Everyone’s mint is different,but that ain’t mint .

Craftsman

These 10% offers are becoming common place, there’s another one starting soon and another one first week of June

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    These 10% offers are becoming common place, there’s another one starting soon and another one first week of June

Can codes be shared or are they unique to each account?

Do eBay publicise when the 10% offers are coming?

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Can codes be shared or are they unique to each account?

Do eBay publicise when the 10% offers are coming?
    Someone kindly offered me their code and it doesn't work so seems account specific.

Does anyone know roughly how long the authentication process takes?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    Does anyone know roughly how long the authentication process takes?
    Same day it arrives usually. I sold a watch. Posted it rmsd, it was with the buyer in 3 days.

[ignore this. I see that it is answered earlier in the thread. My fault for not reading through]

Does the authentication process also apply to watches bought from outside the UK?

I can only imagine the hassle of getting a watch through customs and eBay having to pay any duty which you then need to pass onto the customer, unless the watch fails the authentication stage.
    Last edited by sish101; 8th May 2024 at 21:26.

I was looking at a watch on eBay the other day that was above the £1500 limit but didn’t have the authenticity guarantee marker on the auction. All the other similar models did. So can the seller opt out?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon177 View Post
    I was looking at a watch on eBay the other day that was above the £1500 limit but didn’t have the authenticity guarantee marker on the auction. All the other similar models did. So can the seller opt out?
    Maybe because the seller listed as collection only.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Maybe because the seller listed as collection only.
    Yes you’re correct, I’ve just been and checked. Good to know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Does the authentication process also apply to watches bought from outside the UK?
    Last I saw, it does not apply to cross-border sales.

Now ignored. i just saw the bit in square brackets. :-)

Anyone know how to get a code?

I’m wondering if I make an offer and it’s accepted, can I use a 10% on top of that? Probably not, I’d imagine.