closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The perils of driving in Cornwall!

Hybrid View

Just bought this as a replacement.

Have had a number of these over the years so looking forward to some comfort and safety - just need to drive slowly to keep the mpg down!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Have had a number of these over the years so looking forward to some comfort and safety - just need to drive slowly to keep the mpg down!

That’s perfect if you need to drop the up off- it will probably fit in the boot 😂

Imagine if you'd been on a motorbike !

'Lucky' to have hit you square into the back, i was hit from behind and the driver turned the steering wheel trying to avoid and caught my drivers back corner which caused my car to twist badly. I had back problems for 3 months after the accident (no i didn't claim damages). Fortunately I was driving a hire car and after taking it back and filling out a form I never heard again.

I’m glad to hear you’re ok and walked away from the accident. It’s difficult not to dwell on the ‘what if’. My experience of driving in Cornwall matched my experience of driving in Wales and Northern Ireland and all had me wishing I was driving something much larger.

Firstly, it's good to hear that no-one was hurt! If you don't mind though, OP, whilst I understand the thinking behind bigger is better/safer you seriously cannot underestimate the advancement of both active (things that stop you having an accident) and passive (things that protect you should an accident be inevitable) safety systems in the last couple of decades.

I'd wager that your old VW would stop in much shorter braking distances, steer away from trouble in a more stable manner, have more effective crumple zones, a peddle box that won't smash your ankles in a head-on, seat belt pretensioners (I'm guessing), more airbags (does the Volvo have any?), is smaller therefore easier to place on the road, anti-submarining seats etc.

Here's a older Renault than your VW against a 940, and take note that these are just the passive systems being tested.

https://youtu.be/emtLLvXrrFs

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Excellent choice safety wise Ian. Knowing what I know you really couldn't pay me to get in things like this . . .

F.T.F.A.

I'm glad you're OK Ian, and you can't go wrong with a Volvo of course!