Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
Was lucky enough to pick up an 2006 LV sub at a decent price in late 2015 just before the prices really began to rise.

Following a tip of from a fellow TZ'er I had already put my name down for a Rolex Hulk with Mappin and Webb in late 2015 and then got a call early in 2016 that they had one for me.

I turned it down as felt overexposed to 'green' watches.

Mappin and Webb then called me again 1-2 months later as they had another Hulk in stock and asked if I would I like to buy this one......oh those were the days!

I reluctantly said "yes please" as I had started to think I wouldn't lose money and would just have to make a call which one won the green battle.

In the end the Kermit beat the Hulk as it felt like a more wearable everyday watch based on size and sheer amount of green and at the time most likely in investment terms though that was less important to me.

So I sold the Hulk to Watchfinder for about £6,500 as I didn't feel comfortable having such an expensive watch hanging around the house not being worn. As that is now a £20k+ watch that's definitely the poorest money related watch decision I've made in c.20 years of WISdom.

So whilst I think about this decision from time to time its barely classed as remorse or regret as I wouldn't now want to be wearing a £20k watch on my wrist and any profits from a sale would just disappear into long term savings/pension pot/house renovations.

If there's any seller remorse its more about the wider market generally that its disappeared so far up its own behind that its no longer relevant to the average watch fan.
I have only sold one watch a Rolex Explorer 2 in 2009 ish for £1700, I regret that but it was in order to buy a White Daytona for £6,300. I thought I as mad paying over RRP for a secondhand watch. I do not regret that now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk