Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Update: My local police station weren't interested in taking the watch, they said that as I had made reasonable attempts to return it to the original owner then I could keep it.

I've tried posting on Facebook lost and found groups but to no avail.

I've paid for searches on The Watch register and CheckMEND and it's not been registered as lost or stolen.

Having examined the watch more closely, it needs a lot of work - the glass is scratched, the case needs a refinish, it has sustained some damage to one of the lugs from being dropped and it is most likely in need of a movement service. It looks like the original owner wore it pretty hard and the drop didn't help.

Breitling have confirmed that it is genuine and that a service would cost upwards of £500, probably more depending on the extent of refinishing work required.

Breitling's aren't normally my thing but I do like this one.

My understanding is that I am now legally entitled to keep it, however I think that I would feel uneasy about selling it and I'm not sure where I would stand legally if I did so.

This found watch is turning out to be a bit of a headache TBH!

As far as I concerned... you are a honest, upstanding member of society with absolute integrity.

The police have told you to keep the watch.
It IS yours now and I wouldn't object to that new ownership.

I would pay £500 for it getting up to spec... and keep it. It is actually a nice memento of what you did here. A Breitling £4k watch for £500? Yeah... restore it and keep it. Don't worry about moving it on. It is what it is.

Your story has upped my faith in human nature day. Thank you for sharing.