closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grey dealer stock

Craftsman

Grey dealer stock

Sorry if this has been posted before, a search on here and google didn't bring anything up.

I have been thinking about this for a while, since seeing a grey dealer/trader doing an unveil video a few weeks ago actually.

The dealer was opening a large box branded DHL and inside amidst tons of packaging they were pulling out some lovely watches, mainly Rolex and the odd Patek (about 8-10 in total, varying years so not all new), all complete with warranty card but in clear coffin cases rather than the full green boxes (maybe in a different shipment?).

It got me thinking, where do most dealers actually get their stock. Apart from normal private sales and trades where could a dealer buy as many watches as this and make a decent profit, I thought it could be a B2B sale but then why would a dealer need to off load highly desirable stock to another dealer at a knock down rate, is there some kids of used watch distributor where you buy in bulk?

Another trader I follow online put a post on last night listing about 6/7 watches they had just secured and were due in next week too.

Btw I have no intention of buying/selling or getting in to this but it got me wondering about the source of such stock.

They get them from dealer trade shows. These are taking place all the time but we are not allowed in them. Watch some of Roman Sharf's / Luxury Bazaar videos.
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted before, a search on here and google didn't bring anything up.

I have been thinking about this for a while, since seeing a grey dealer/trader doing an unveil video a few weeks ago actually.

The dealer was opening a large box branded DHL and inside amidst tons of packaging they were pulling out some lovely watches, mainly Rolex and the odd Patek (about 8-10 in total, varying years so not all new), all complete with warranty card but in clear coffin cases rather than the full green boxes (maybe in a different shipment?).

It got me thinking, where do most dealers actually get their stock. Apart from normal private sales and trades where could a dealer buy as many watches as this and make a decent profit, I thought it could be a B2B sale but then why would a dealer need to off load highly desirable stock to another dealer at a knock down rate, is there some kids of used watch distributor where you buy in bulk?

Another trader I follow online put a post on last night listing about 6/7 watches they had just secured and were due in next week too.

Btw I have no intention of buying/selling or getting in to this but it got me wondering about the source of such stock.
    If you're ever in New York I recommend you wander down 47th St - the places there have all sorts of stock there (more PPs than I've ever seen before, for example) albeit at high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    They get them from dealer trade shows. These are taking place all the time but we are not allowed in them. Watch some of Roman Sharf's / Luxury Bazaar videos.
    Interesting - who would be the seller of these brand new Rolexes at the trade shows? Will definitely watch Romans videos tks.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Wonder where Costco gets it's stock?

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Wonder where Costco gets it's stock?
    Haven’t seen anything interesting there for a long time. We’re some womens omegas in last week though. Quite dressy on leather with diamonds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Haven’t seen anything interesting there for a long time. We’re some womens omegas in last week though. Quite dressy on leather with diamonds.

The one at Trafford near me had a Speedmaster Racing, but it was fairly ex display. Best thing I'd seen for a while. I'll never get over not grabbing the Monza Calibre 36 / El Primero about 4 years ago.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    This was the best watch I spotted in CostCo Seattle a couple years ago. Not a bad price at the time, even better now!

Craftsman
    Does anyone know if CostCo in the UK sell watches at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post

They certainly do, my local one Lakeside had some Tag Aquaracers last time I was in plus some Longines. Previously Panerai, U Boat, Tags & Omega have been in.

Prices haven’t always been cheaper than you can get online or AD discounting. But cheaper than RRP

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That picture I put was this week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Prices haven’t always been cheaper than you can get online or AD discounting. But cheaper than RRP
    Yeah this, prices are cheaper than RRP, but never as good as I hope. Last week there was the Speedy Racing (the master chronometer) and a Breitling. Good 6-7 ladies Breitling's as well.

Craftsman
    Ah great, thanks for letting me know. Is there a membership of sorts needed though or can ‘anyone’ just walk in?

Ah great, thanks for letting me know. Is there a membership of sorts needed though or can ‘anyone’ just walk in?

Membership. About £25 if I remember. Not sure what mine is now as I only go for the fresh fish and bog rolls

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    Interesting - who would be the seller of these brand new Rolexes at the trade shows? Will definitely watch Romans videos tks.
    ADs sell to the same people most of the time and they off-load to the grey market. These same people have multiple ADs in multiple countries under their belt.
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

TBH, no one knows. Whatever you read and elsewhere is hearsay and speculation.