closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop; update on the Saab

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; *The Saab is finished!!!*

A lot has happened since I last posted pics of the Saab. The wheel bearings are installed, so the car is on its wheels now. Lots of progress on the bespoke wiring loom. The gearbox from a well-respected 'box builder was leaking like a sieve when the oil was poured in... A leaky seal was the culprit. Thankfully, the clutch and engine are still on the work stand, so pulling out the 'box and repairing it was relatively easy. (And then the discussion with the supplier starts... grrr).

One of the mechnanics dismantled the complete steering column. That is pretty intricate in a Saab 96; gear shifter, steering and ignition lock work together. 'Work' as in: when it's brand-new... Removing the lock cylinder was a lot harder than the Haynes' manual tells you. Even when you've fabricated the correct tool! After a lot of fiddling and some interesting name calling(...) the lock came off the steering column.
    The column was sent to the powder coater for a brand-new look. But not without two tapped holes! (You see them on top of the column, right behind the wheel). Many Saab 96 owners have a separate rev counter mounted on top of the steering column and all are mounted pretty fiddly. Basically, there's nothing to attach it to! Now, with the bolt holes, it's easy to install a rev counter and a base.

Then the Fiat. A 600. Brilliantly painted and in very, very fine condition. It's in for a simple service. The owner has installed an odd-looking steering wheel. I think that the logo on the wheel is from a clone that was built behind the Iron Curtain.

Last edited by thieuster; 18th February 2023 at 21:14.