closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZuluDiver “Octopod” Buckle Review

Just purchased one for my Aerospace.

The buckle is well shaped so despite the size it’s comfortable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Just purchased one for my Aerospace.

The buckle is well shaped so despite the size it’s comfortable.
    That looks good in black and noticeably smaller than the one in the previous post

Looks good. Also looks a lot more than 10% smaller. I like it.

Thinking about getting one of these and have a question please. Can any single pass or circumcised nato with the buckle removed be used with it?

I would imagine so. The straps are just 29.5 cm lengths of elasticated webbing. The pins you loop the webbing around are springbars so removable. I guess you just wouldn’t want any hardware on the webbing though. They sell the webbing straps at 10 quid a pop I seem to remember.

Cheers, as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    I would imagine so. The straps are just 29.5 cm lengths of elasticated webbing. The pins you loop the webbing around are springbars so removable. I guess you just wouldn’t want any hardware on the webbing though. They sell the webbing straps at 10 quid a pop I seem to remember.

I have the 20mm original and new 22mm deployants, and I find the new buckle significantly more comfortable. Still not quite as nice on my wrist as an MN strap but very good for summer nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thinking about getting one of these and have a question please. Can any single pass or circumcised nato with the buckle removed be used with it?
    Yep. Hence me using a strip of fabric. Any tape, ribbon, webbing etc will work as long it's not too thick.

Mine arrived today. First impressions are that all materials are good quality and well finished.

I’m not sure yet whether it’s a solution to a problem we never had. Easy to set up and adjust. Choice of straps is endless I guess. I’ll wear it for a couple of days and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Mine arrived today. First impressions are that all materials are good quality and well finished.

I’m not sure yet whether it’s a solution to a problem we never had. Easy to set up and adjust. Choice of straps is endless I guess. I’ll wear it for a couple of days and report back.

Nice, is that the sandblasted 20mm buckle? I'm thinking of getting another for my 20mm watches.

Sandblasted 22mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Nice, is that the sandblasted 20mm buckle? I'm thinking of getting another for my 20mm watches.

Right, I'm not a fan. The clasp buttons dug into my wrist and the clasp overall felt a bit too big and clumsy. Changing straps is a right faff and for me, not worth the effort. Finding a good fit is frustrating.

I put the watch back on a nato and felt it was much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Yet to be converted. I asked myself a few questions such as would I pay £48 for a buckle then £10 per strap? How many straps would I want? How often would I change them? What do I use single piece straps for?
    I went and inspected my watch collection then my strap box. I have 31 watches of which one is on a NATO. In my strap box there are 14 unused NATO straps. The watch on a NATO is my sports watch, used for holidays, swimming and windsurfing. Having lost at least 3 watches over the years I wouldn't ever use a two piece strap for watersports. But for daily wear I rarely use NATO's, hence I don't think it's worth the money for me.
    Could I be converted? It looks like a smart solution, so possibly. I would need to test it for comfort
    Humble pie time. As a result of ZD shortening the clasp and an offer for £5 per strap, I actually bought one and really like it. It's easy to use and adjust. Both the clasp and straps are well finished. I find it comfortable on my 7.5in wrist and I quite like the elasticity in the straps. The non-elastic straps are slightly more difficult to get the perfect fit. Overall I am pleased I changed my mind and happy to put aside my early reservations. The only thing I would say, though, is that I will continue to use traditional NATO straps on watches I intend to use for the beach & watersports as they are easier to sling over a wetsuit.

Judging by the price increase on the buckles I assume they are selling very well. It's now £68 for a regular buckle & £78 for black or bronze.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

This company has previous for price increases. They used to be my go-to strap shop but not used them for a few years now as their prices increase wildly for, in a lot of cases, the same stock.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Judging by the price increase on the buckles I assume they are selling very well. It's now £68 for a regular buckle & £78 for black or bronze.

Their rubber NATO straps were £42 three years ago, now £68. Think they’re Bonetto Cinturini in which case at Watch Obsession £45.

Getting the prices up so they can be reduced in the January sale?

Their prices seem much higher, for the same product than most suppliers. They used to be my go to, but £20ish for a very basic standard nato these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been waiting for the sandblasted version to come back into stock (it finally has) and they've got a new even more compact Mk3 version of the buckle which is currently £68 instead of £85. They also have a gold version although that's already sold out.

https://www.zuludiver.com/collections/octopod-buckle

I've been waiting for a black buckle to come back in stock for ages, looks like the Mk 3 in black will be soon (May according to the site)

Their prices are ridiculous. I've had loads of their natos and they're not the best but they charge £24 for them. I can get the same quality elsewhere for £9 - £12. My nato of choice now is from CNS in Sweden, they're the best quality I can find and they're around £12 each and they're here within five days every time. Obviously Eddie's are the best but they only come in 20mm, don't have an extensive range of colours and you can only buy them in a 2 minute window a month, if you're quick enough. I just want a strap, I don't want to have to wait a couple of months for a tenner nato! The shop should be open every day for anything other than watches and if it was, his natos and straps would be flying out again. I noticed a WTB the other day for a TF nato - crazy!

I buy FKM rubber straps from a couple of sellers, namely Wrist Envy, that are better quality than those from WG and I pay £19.95 rather than £45 - £65. They'll be buying them in from China for circa £2 a piece so they don't have to charge as much and would still make healthy profits on them.

They used to be my go-to strap seller but I've not bought anything at all from them for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Their prices seem much higher, for the same product than most suppliers. They used to be my go to, but £20ish for a very basic standard nato these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Their rubber NATO straps were £42 three years ago, now £68. Think they’re Bonetto Cinturini in which case at Watch Obsession £45.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 26th April 2024 at 09:29.

Journeyman
    Was looking at the octopod but 68 seemed a lot - nice bit of kit though. They used to be about 45. Ordered a couple of natos from them instead which arrived this week - they seem overly long though which is disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm another fan of these.

Slightly off topic but how do the CNS single pass adjustable fabric straps compare to Crown & Buckle’s Chevron straps? Chevron straps are £25+ but only 19mm and above and I need 18mm for my PRS-29b.

Blog Entries
    If you want webbing https://www.profabrics.co.uk/

Used to make my own Velcro straps and would source bits and pieces here. Although 22mm seems be particularly difficult to get I presume because it’s only really a relevant dimension for watches.

If anyone stumbles on a 22mm supplier, let me know.
    Ditto 21mm!

Like the look of the clasp so have ordered now to try it out.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 27th April 2024 at 12:02.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My new sandblasted Mk3 buckle arrived today.

Comfort is further improved as they've trimmed metal off the sides compared to the Mk2 and it's a couple of mm shorter although I'm comparing a 22mm wide one with a 20mm wide one in this pic.

I ordered a buckle and 4 straps and they kindly threw in a whole load of goodies - tin, pen, polishing cloth and coaster.

I do like that they're steadily improving the design. When I'm more solvent I fancy trying one of those.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Blog Entries
    20mm and blue elasticky strap. Works well and nicely made.

Overall I like the clasp, and will try the 22mm next as i ordered both sizes. I'm thinking the 22mm one will be ok with 21mm straps. We'll see. I think the elastic straps are definitely the best with them. Easy to get a snug fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 3rd May 2024 at 16:30.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The sandblasted buckle is a good match and really elevates my SSNAV

Master
    Is it sport to mention I have one of these on SC ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app