closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheap homage watches thread under £100 from Ali-Express and the like

Hybrid View

At the risk of peeing on everyone’s chips here, I am wondering how it’s possible to make watches of this apparent quality at these tiny prices?
    Are they coming from less-than ethical places?
    Not judging others, but it would help me decide if I’m interested in this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    At the risk of peeing on everyone’s chips here, I am wondering how it’s possible to make watches of this apparent quality at these tiny prices?
    Are they coming from less-than ethical places?
    Not judging others, but it would help me decide if I’m interested in this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Just a Quick Look online and you can buy an Accurist quartz or Sekonda for £40, Seiko 5 on Amazon for £75

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    At the risk of peeing on everyone’s chips here, I am wondering how it’s possible to make watches of this apparent quality at these tiny prices? Are they coming from less-than ethical places? ...

These - along with the overwhelming majority of consumer goods - are coming from one of the least ethical sources possible - the pseudo-communist dictatorship of China. A nation regularly topping lists of human rights abusers, ethnic-cleansers, polluters, natural resource over-exploiters, cyber-criminals, intellectual property thieves, fake-news disinformation-propagandists . . . and so much else.

We ALL wilfully turn a blind eye to this, because the alternative in 2024 is to live in a cave and fashion stone tools with which to hunt for rats and feral pigeons - so ubiquitous is Chinese manufacturing.

You could opt to buy only - say - Swiss watches, but I'm willing to bet that even the big names are buying part-finished and even ready components from China, and certainly things like boxes, packaging, brochures, booklets, bulk alloys, machined blanks, sapphire crystals and a great deal else...

Ironic, really, that Western consumerist greed has made China a pre-eminent World power...

But yeah, where discretionary luxury purchases are concerned, we should, morally, avoid buying from China.