closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Drain repairs

Craftsman

Drain repairs

Hi
    Does anybody have any experience of repairing a possible collapsed drain without digging a trench etc?

I'm looking at methods where they insert a liner inside the damaged pipe which is impregnated with resin, this then dries and performs the repair....

If anyone has done this or had it done I'd be interested in any feedback, pros and cons etc

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    Hi
    Does anybody have any experience of repairing a possible collapsed drain without digging a trench etc?

I'm looking at methods where they insert a liner inside the damaged pipe which is impregnated with resin, this then dries and performs the repair....

If anyone has done this or had it done I'd be interested in any feedback, pros and cons etc

Cheers

Yes, we had that done at the previous (old) property we lived in. It was a tree root (they love water) that had damaged the waste pipe from a downstairs wc. The drainage guys managed to cut away the roots and then inserted one of said resin liners. They had to remove the wc and then replace it when the job was done. SWMBO's niece lives there now and as far as I know it's been ok ever since. I thought it was a pretty clever solution. House insurance paid for it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    If the drain is collapsed and a restriction to the flow or capacity has occurred the liner method will not ease this, it cannot push back the pipe into shape. The load causing the collapse will remain in place and could cause more issue in time.

If is just cracked and products are leaching away into the soil then the liner is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    If the drain is collapsed and a restriction to the flow or capacity has occurred the liner method will not ease this, it cannot push back the pipe into shape. The load causing the collapse will remain in place and could cause more issue in time.

If is just cracked and products are leaching away into the soil then the liner is fine.
    There are methods nowadays where a 'mole' and resin liner are used in combination to repair this type of failure. Not all drain repairers have this tech though.

We had a collapsed drain in the car park a few years ago, every few weeks it would back up, I used a company called Metro Rod, they blew a polythene tube down the pipe and then pumped in fibreglass, then pumped hot water through to cure it, it was about 30 metres long and took them about half a day, from memory it wasn't stupidly expensive, and fixed the problem, obviously it reduced the size of the pipe a little but it wasn't an issue, it was in Essex

I should add they did send a camera down first
    Last edited by adrianw; Yesterday at 09:39.

I should also add that these resin relining repairs are usually very good, but are only as good as the crew installing them.

I am not a huge fan of local patch repairs for drains, but prefer instead to line between access points (eg manhole chambers), so the whole length of the damaged area of drain, if you can and assuming it is not cost prohibitive to do so.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies, I'd ideally like to get it repaired without digging if possible so I'll explore that option first.
    Looking it seems big national companies offer the service but most local companies do not....

If you go for the liner repair make sure there are not any branches off the drain.

We had a house which had had a liner repair- the repair was fine, but they had blanked off a side branch which caused other problems.

Again echoing the "as good as the crew" comments above.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Had this done a few times with success on all occasions. The last time, the ID was restricted by 40% + but this was lined successfully. This was on a basin run only.

Make sure they CCTV the run afterwards and check the footage yourself.

B

Master
    I had a quote recently while we were having building work done. He was a friend of our builders, but even he laughed at the quote and commented he could dig it out for the same price. Ultimately it’s never going to be as good as a proper drain, and sealing pipes that feed in is difficult, if even possible. I did get the impression that the quote was negotiable. I looked at the liner and whilst I’m sure the system works, the materials are not going to cost much and Labour won’t be more than a day or two. If you can get it on the insurance though, why not.