closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yesterday at Goodwood (short videos this time)

Hybrid View

Yesterday at Goodwood (short videos this time)

So yesterday was at Goodwood. A very fast, flowing track for the most part and my local track. The weather forecast was mixed and as my son and daughter in law were coming to get some passenger rides, I got them to bring my spare set of wheels with tyres tyres for wet conditions (a set of brand new Toyo R888r's) + the trolley jack etc.

The first session started wet but then dried quite well, so I decided to put my Avon ZZR's back on. No sooner had I done that, it started pouring with rain contrary to what the weather radar app suggested, so it was back on with the Toyo's.

The track started drying again and I started to push a bit & the Toyo's were rubbish - see first video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIfPcai9mKY

Even in the complete dry I had very little confidence in them compared to ZZR's.

My GoPro audio problems continue, so I've put some music to the next couple

This is me taking a mate round. Not only was the ancient MG very sloooowwww, I overtook him & an E Type often 3 times per 15 minute session, but he never troubled an apex all day as far as I saw. Reasonable lap after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYmvFtyu4VM

Me solo for a change chasing a Caterham 420R and a 991 GT3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhfeaGc4WV8

and finally some external footage

https://studio.youtube.com/video/BVWAC13Qdr4/edit

The only driver faster than me all day was the guy in a 992 GT3 RS which is an absolute weapon and the driver does a lot of days at Goodwood.

Check out the comedy size difference

These pics show the Toyo R888r & Avon tread patterns by way of comparison. Toyo's first

The Caterham racers are having to use Toyo's this year as Goodyear folded Avon Motorsport after years of losses. The racers are 2 seconds a lap slower. They take 2 full laps to get up to temp. They are not popular. Ex employees of Avon have started up a new firm & will offer the ZZR's & (better in the wet) ZZS's albeit under different names, hopefully very soon.
    Last edited by andy tims; 28th May 2024 at 11:50.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Great videos Andy, it must be a massive difference between one and two up in that

Craftsman
    Love the Magic Roundabout helmet LOL.

Last video wouldn't load for me but the others give you a good idea of the demands of the Goodwood circuit and how "on-the-edge" you are when in a Caterham at high speed !

Good music choices btw :-)
    Last edited by 459GMB; 28th May 2024 at 13:16.

Interesting to see just how much faster the GT3 is out of the corners.
    "A man of little significance"

The differing groove directions between left and right on the Toyo's messed with my head so much I had to Google it - are they bi-directional with only 'inside' and 'outside' markings (and no direction arrows)?

Good grief.

My undercrackers would have needed a pit stop of their own after that first video!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Interesting to see just how much faster the GT3 is out of the corners.
    That’s where rear engine and mahoosive rear tyres come into their own. I’m a bit more traction limited.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The differing groove directions between left and right on the Toyo's messed with my head so much I had to Google it - are they bi-directional with only 'inside' and 'outside' markings (and no direction arrows)?
    I thought the tyre fitters had messed up at first. They are not directional. The radial groove goes on the inside. They have “inside” and “outside” markings.
    Last edited by andy tims; 29th May 2024 at 20:43.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Great videos Andy, it must be a massive difference between one and two up in that
    Thanks

Surprisingly, it doesn’t seem to make all that much difference.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    The photo of the two cars really cements the term “ roller skate” . You dont appreciate how bloated the gt3 has gone to accommodate those tyres until you see the Cateram’s sharp lines. I have a similar photo taken in New York a month ago. Its a 23/24 full fat Range Rover sat between a Suburban and an Escalade. The RR looked small !

Great videos , thanks for posting