closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SEICHU (NATO) Straps - For those who find them baffling

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Seiko SEICHU (NATO) Straps - For those who find them baffling

I asked Seiko how their Seichu straps worked because I found them baffling.

The keeper where you would usually tuck the material is thin, so you cant tuck the tail in so to speak, while the keeper below it is wider which is a bit counterintuitive.
    They cant be worn in the same way as a normal NATO.

This is how they work -

The top keeper is thin and fixed.
    The lower keeper is wider and moveable.

Hope this helps if anyone else has one.

Noted for potential future purposes - thank you for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    They cant be worn in the same way as a normal NATO.
    I don't think there's a single 'correct' way to wear a 'normal' NATO.

From my observation (mainly of photos on t'internet) the two most common ways are with the tail tucked under both keepers (providing it's long enough), as you say, or in the way that Seiko suggest, over the top keeper and under the lower one. Certainly the first method is more popular but the second is also seen quite often.

If I'm wearing a NATO strap it's usually a Phoenix and I only ever wear them over/under, ie the second method. This is because the thinner material combined with the narrower, somewhat floppy keepers make it easier to wear them this way in my experience. Especially when swimming, the tail has a bit of a tendency to slip out where it's folded, unless you leave quite a bit of folded material sticking up above the top keeper - a look which personally I really dislike.

In contrast, if wearing a CWC I'll always tuck it under/under. The thicker, less flexible material combined with wider and more rigid keepers means that the tail remains secure tucked under/under. Tucked over/under these characteristics mean it looks ungainly, which is not a problem on a Phoenix. That's my experience anyway.

There are other ways to wear a NATO too. For a while the CWC website contained a link to a YouTube video under the heading 'how to wear a NATO strap' . The video demonstrated the method involving a single layer under the watch and a double layer under or on the side of the wrist. As I recall, the video blogger claimed that the purpose was to make it less likely for the watch to fall to the ground when putting the watch on, as you slip it on loosely fastened over your wrist like a Marine Nationale, then tighten it. (I really don't think so, but try it out for yourself and see what you think!)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ill rephrase.

You cant wear them like this, which is how I have always done it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Ill rephrase.

You cant wear them like this, which is how I have always done it.

The correct way.