closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: So… why are most crowns on the right?

So… why are most crowns on the right?

I think that most people wear their watch on their left wrist, judging by my less-than-empirical studies of many friends, families and strangers wrists.

I know also that generally you are advised not to operate the crown of a watch whilst or remains on the wrist.

So if we are taking them off to use the crown, surely the more sensible, certainly more comfortable, position of the crown would be on the left hand side of the case?

Or if we assume that we do all remove them to operate the crown, the manufacturers are catering for the majority right-handed user who will hold watch in left hand, adjust crown with right?

And whilst we are at it - chrono pushers.
    They seem, in my limited personal testing, far easier to operate when worn on the right wrist with the left forefinger reaching over the 12 position/ thumb braced on the opposite side of case - compared to worn on the left and having to reach under the 6 position to get the same finger & thumb position.

I have no idea how you left-wrist types put up with that crown jabbing into the back of your hands. Seems mad to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m left handed, wear my watch on the left, the crown doesn’t stick in because I wear it properly, as instructed by one Haywood Milton about 15 years ago. Place the watch on the left hand side on the lumpy bit (medical term) on the wrist and all is good.

Master
    I have a VTNR and wear it on the left,thinking it would be more comfortable with the crown on the left,it is,but the sharp case bottom leaves a smiley mark on my hand instead.

For right handed people surely it’s easier to operate the crown with right hand, even off the wrist.

Never had any discomfort from crown on left wrist.

I always thought it was "Crowns to the left of me.............."

Master
    it surprises me that the bullhead arrangement isn't more widespread. Good for all I'd say.

I'm right handed but wear my watch on the right. Easier to operate the pushers on a chrono by far, but when I adjust or wind, any watch is always off my wrist.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 16th June 2023 at 06:46.

Craftsman
    I'm a Lefty and wear my watches on my left wrist, no issues with the crown digging in...guess I must be wearing it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    it surprises me that the bullhead arrangement isn't more widespread. Good for all I'd say.

I'm right handed but wear my watch on the right. Easier to operate the pushers on a chrono by far, but when I adjust or wind, any watch is always off my wrist.
    Same here, I don't think I could wear any watch with the crown on the left.

Sent from a technical device.

Crown comfort (sounds like an obstetrics term?) had never been an issue but I do like chrono pushers on the left (right handed, watch worn on left).

One of several reasons I think I need an EZM1...

Master

I have a Destro Panerai that I wear on my left wrist. I just like the look, it wasn’t bought for comfort reasons.

because most people are so clumsy with their left hand, i am happy they are on the right

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I always thought it was "Crowns to the left of me.............."
    Very good!

Master
    Why are there more Right Handed Guitars than Left Handed ones? Must be supply and demand I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Never had any issues wearing a watch on either wrist.

Blog Entries
    I find chrono pushers easy to operate when watch on my left hand - brace the watch with my right hand thumb against the case at 9pm. I couldn’t do contortions on my right wrist. I am right handed. So putting my watch on my left wrist with my right hand I find much easier than putting a watch on my right wrist - especially if on a tang buckle.

I wear the watch just above the ulnar end which stops bracelet stretch and is comfortable

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th June 2023 at 17:37.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

what filterlab said

BUBI
    @porque.racing

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

I have no idea how you left-wrist types put up with that crown jabbing into the back of your hands. Seems mad to me!

LH watches were originally divers watches worn on the left wrist , the crown being on the left stopped it being pulled open by the woven cuffs on 60’s wetsuits. There is footage somewhere of Coutsteau talking with his techies and explaining the problem, so they simply spun the disk round 180 and voila!

This was in the days before screw down crowns.

I am right handed and wear my watch on the left (the right way obviously) but I now have 3 left hand crown watches (2 purchased in the last 18 months)
    I like them, setting them is a bit of a pain at first but buy a quartz version and you don’t have to worry about that.
    I do find the more comfortable when doing DIY, shooting or anything where my wrist tends to move and flex (snigger)

it is.....very special people we are....roughly 10% of the population....so to buy a left handed guitar,walk in,ask if they have any, yes sir up the stairs...no carry on to the 3rd floor...to the attic....in the corner under the cobwebs you'll find our extensive stock of LH guitars......

i wear my watches on my right because I'll ding them otherwise continually....would love a LHD tudor....
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Why are there more Right Handed Guitars than Left Handed ones? Must be supply and demand I guess.

Sent from my SM-A536B using TZ-UK mobile app

Yeh, but not sure that is the right analogy.
    Most people are either right or left-handed.
    You need the guitar to fit the user I assume. You don’t choose to play a left handed guitar - you need to.

Being left or right-handed doesn’t affect where you wear your watch, that is personal choice - as demonstrated by me and others in this thread who wear watches on their dominant hand side.

Master
    You're not a southpaw are you not enough. Us lefties reach for most things with our left hand so with our watches on our left wrist it gets dunked as we reach into a kitchen cupboard, as we reach for the garden gate, the door handle and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    You're not a southpaw are you not enough. Us lefties reach for most things with our left hand so with our watches on our left wrist it gets dunked as we reach into a kitchen cupboard, as we reach for the garden gate, the door handle and so on.
    Exactly this. I’m a leftie and just hammered in some nails using my left hand so kept my mechanical watch on knowing it wouldn’t be banged about. I’ve always worn a watch on my right wrist where the crown points up my arm not at my hand. Seems more logical that way. I’ve had a couple of lefty watches and didn’t find any of them uncomfortable either. I think it’s just more sensible to wear a watch on your non dominant hand.

Apprentice
    I’m left handed but over the years I’ve stop trying to change things and adapted to this right hand world. I do wear my watch on my left wrist.

If cack-handed people were put down at birth it would solve the problem! The Victorians and Edwardians had the right idea, right hand dominant was the way to be and if you were naturally an awkward sod, you were made to change your ways.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    it is.....very special people we are....roughly 10% of the population....so to buy a left handed guitar,walk in,ask if they have any, yes sir up the stairs...no carry on to the 3rd floor...to the attic....in the corner under the cobwebs you'll find our extensive stock of LH guitars......

i wear my watches on my right because I'll ding them otherwise continually....would love a LHD tudor....

Sent from my SM-A536B using TZ-UK mobile app
     But so true.

Or, I’m sorry Sir we don’t actually stock Lefties. We can restring a normal guitar upside down for you. It worked well for Mr Hendrix and Mr Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Yeh, but not sure that is the right analogy.
    Most people are either right or left-handed.
    You need the guitar to fit the user I assume. You don’t choose to play a left handed guitar - you need to.

Being left or right-handed doesn’t affect where you wear your watch, that is personal choice - as demonstrated by me and others in this thread who wear watches on their dominant hand side.

That said, if all watches were available left or right handed, what would the choice be for left handed folk? A lefty for their right wrist I would imagine.

In mitigation and fwiw; I’m right handed, wear my watches on my left wrist. However I also wear an Apple Watch on my right wrist mainly to keep track of distances walked, heart rate etc. It is not easy to use the functions with your “weaker hand”. It gets took off when playing guitar as it gets in the way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Exactly this. I’m a leftie and just hammered in some nails using my left hand.
    I find a hammer is a lot less painful and messy 

I find a hammer is a lot less painful and messy 
    You big softy!

Craftsman
    I’m left handed and I’ve always worn my watch on my right wrist. Got a Pelagos LHD a few years ago and while I love the watch I find it really difficult to wind or adjust. I have to hold it upside down to wind it!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    For right handed people surely it’s easier to operate the crown with right hand, even off the wrist.

I assumed the same.