closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just added this a Australian Navy Sestrel Deck clock.

Hybrid View

Just added this a Australian Navy Sestrel Deck clock.

Just got this off Ebay. A WW2 Sestrel Deck clock from the HMAS Australia a cruiser that saw a lot of action and survived WW2.

A little info of the ship.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Australia_(D84)

Hope I did OK on this. But the date of the clock and Setrel did sale stuff to the royal navy I think it's legit. Was reading about this this ship during a kamikaze attack the captain was killed. Being from his cabin really makes you think about the sacrifices the greatest generation did. My dad was lucky to have survived a Kamikaze attack on the USS Bunker Hill he escaped the fire by jumping onto a catwalk along the flight deck.

Oooo very nice.
    It’s a nice looking historic clock
    I didn’t realise the printed the ship name on the dial.

My guess is it was done special for the captain why the name of the ship on the dial. The back had me wondering but someone on MWR forum posted a link to one that had pantry on back that space is in the galley or mess decks of a ship. So, I might of did good on this buy.

I have a Sestrel ships compass from Ebay, which I refurbished with the help of some BA thread brass screws donated by a member on here.
    From memory, Sestrel were a Canadian instrument manufacturer. By chance, they were merged with Lillie & Gillie who have a workshop near the Tyne.
    The service and calibration engineer asked me to call in with the old perished rubber gasket seal, and he gave me a new one free of charge.

They didn't have any clocks onsite, but they did have loads of brand new compass and sextants on the shelves.

Edit = the UK company provide clocks via the Tyneside repair & calibration workshop, and the Birmingham manufacturing plant.
    https://www.jlgmarine.com/products/nautical-equipment/
    Last edited by Reeny; 27th July 2023 at 09:10. Reason: Lillie & Gillie weblink added

Link to the Sestrel compass restoration below.
    Some of the pictures are missing, but the bulk of the story is there.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ip+compass#top

Received it today like bought it Wednesday and got it on Friday all the way from England to the USA very fast shipping. Has anyone ever saw this anchor mark on naval property.

Got it on the wall already.