closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Hybrid View

Not Champions league but last nights away win for West Ham against Freiburg means they have just instigated a new record for any English side of 17 matches unbeaten in Europe, beating the previous record of 16 for Leeds in 1968 and Spurs in 1972.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What a goal that was for Arsenal right on halftime. Fantastic assist from Jesus.

BTW what is Ben White thinking with that hairdo and fake tan? He looks like a Glaswegian granny just back from a week in Torremolinos.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    BTW what is Ben White thinking with that hairdo and fake tan? He looks like a Glaswegian granny just back from a week in Torremolinos.
    Seems like there's a lot going on with that lad

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

oh harry maguire....

Gabriel Jesus came off with what appears to be a hamstring injury. Jude Bellingham also came off with a muscle injury for Real Madrid

Newcastle seem to be technically lacking tonight. Poor touches, misplaced passes. Appreciate the rain isn't helping but it's the same for both sides.

If they are to get through they need to probably win tonight as you have to assume it will be hard to get anything in Paris or Dortmund so a win tonight and against Milan gives them a good shot at qualifying.

Totally disagree. The group is still wide open and anyone can qualify.

Newcastle seem to be technically lacking tonight. Poor touches, misplaced passes. Appreciate the rain isn't helping but it's the same for both sides.

If they are to get through they need to probably win tonight as you have to assume it will be hard to get anything in Paris or Dortmund so a win tonight and against Milan gives them a good shot at qualifying.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Totally disagree. The group is still wide open and anyone can qualify.
    Group still very much wide open but from what I saw of the game (Switched over for a bit during the Celtic game) Newcastle seemed off their game and Dortmund the better team.

I think not being at our best and being disappointed demonstrates how far we've come. Three games in and we've got four points. We'd have taken that before the first game. Dortmund were very good tonight and their experienced players really showed their....experience.

But all of our players showed up, put in a shift and played really well. I'm not disappointed, more realistic that we're a young team in the hardest group in the competition. Onwards and upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Group still very much wide open but from what I saw of the game (Switched over for a bit during the Celtic game) Newcastle seemed off their game and Dortmund the better team.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Dortmund definitely slicker than the Toon tonight and one of the best sides we’ve faced at SJP for some time. A very well executed game plan.

We probably huffed and puffed enough to force a draw but Wilson a bit wasteful with his big chance and can’t do that at this level.

We’ll learn from this and qualification still well within our grasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Feijenoord Rotterdam steam-rolled over Lazio Roma.

Watch Feijenoord’s striker (Mexican) Santiago Gimenez (‘Santi’ for his fans). He’s young but already has a mythical status in Rotterdam. Aided by his girlfriend, a Mexican actress with a lot of guts! She visited Ajax-Feijenoord (always a lot of trouble with hooligans) and she had a seat surrounded by hardcore hooligans of the ‘other party’.

Pics of that after the match sky-rocketed her into an absolute ‘hero-level’ in Rotterdam.

Santiago would do só well in the Premier League as a striker.

Good result for WHU last night. Battled it out and bit of quality from JWP nicked it for them. Shame he can't quite get it the England squad, as probably worth Hendo or Philips spot on current form/club involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Good result for WHU last night. Battled it out and bit of quality from JWP nicked it for them. Shame he can't quite get it the England squad, as probably worth Hendo or Philips spot on current form/club involvement.

Top signing IMO. Thought we might go for him, in fact.

Good result.

JWP has been a great buy for us.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Mads just dropped out of the Eng squad injured, I wonder if he gets a call up, or Sterling.

Probably neither and they just leave it

Great player and seems like a decent bloke also. Never seems to get injured or drop performance level.

Newcastle deserving of their lead. Isak missed an absolute sitter before his goal.

Man City look like they've just met for the 1st time before the match - should have had Dias sent off as well. I'd fancy them to turn it around though

Newcastle deserving of their lead. Isak missed an absolute sitter before his goal.

Man City look like they've just met for the 1st time before the match - should have had Dias sent off as well. I'd fancy them to turn it around though
    The most abject 45 minutes from Man City in a very long time. Not a single good performance out there. Rodri has made more bad passes in this half than all of last season.

Blog Entries
    Agreed. Very unusual sloppiness from several City players this evening.

z

Master
    Blog Entries
    I hope the barcodes can hang on shut them Frenchies up

Blog Entries
    City have hit 3rd gear now.

Never in doubt.

z

Deffo pen

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Agreed. Newcastle have been robbed by a terrible ref decision.

Jim
    That’s a criminal decision. Scandalous and would love to hear the officials thought process.

Not a pen but Newcastle were giving the ball away constantly in the 2nd half and you can't say PSG didn't deserve it as they missed a hatful of chances.

Newcastle got the rub of the green against Arsenal so these things even out.

Because we couldn’t make any subs Ryan. We had nowt left after 70 minutes.

Not a pen but Newcastle were giving the ball away constantly in the 2nd half and you can't say PSG didn't deserve it as they missed a hatful of chances.

Because we couldn’t make any subs Ryan. We had nowt left after 70 minutes.
    They'd have taken 1-1 at the start. Dortmund can't afford to play their reserves now because if PSG win there then Dortmund finish 2nd and get a much tougher draw. So I'd fancy Newcastle to beat Milan and PSG not to win in Dortmund.

Are we still on about the Arsenal game FFS?

Are we still on about the Arsenal game FFS?
    Just saying that luck tends to go one way and then the other. One day you're the bug, another day you're the windscreen.

Just saying that luck tends to go one way and then the other. One day you're the bug, another day you're the windscreen.
    Nothing lucky or unlucky about either of the goals.

One was given correctly and one was a sporting travesty.

Correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

Little bit dramatic!

Man City showed why they're Champions and the Toon live to see another day, whilst getting up to speed with CL football.

Great pen by the ninja turtle.

Master
    Just seen the penalty incident. Not sure what the fuss is about beyond the usual partisan bleating. Of course it’s not a penalty, if you live in 1985. In the modern game it’s given every time. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Just seen the penalty incident. Not sure what the fuss is about beyond the usual partisan bleating. Of course it’s not a penalty, if you live in 1985. In the modern game it’s given every time. Get over it.
    You’re right. It’s just a few partisan Toon fans …… …oh and every single pundit on pretty much any media outlet that has reported on it.

And those pundits are still talking about it this morning because it wasn’t a pen. However I’d rather concentrate on how well we played and how proud I am of this team, squad, manager and club. To go away from home in the UCL with 12 regulars missing and not be able to make a single substitution in 98 mins and still get a result is amazing.

I loved Keegan’s Entertainers but this squad and team is better because they can do everything. KK’s team were swashbuckling individuals who couldn’t defend. I used to say about SAF’s Man United that it didn’t matter who played, they just seamlessly slotted into the system. That’s what we have now. A 17 year old coming in and playing as well he did is because he knows what that position needs in that team in that game.

Brilliant. We definitely have our club back thanks to our owners and manager. Very proud this morning.

You’re right. It’s just a few partisan Toon fans …… …oh and every single pundit on pretty much any media outlet that has reported on it.

I thought it was harsh but actually by UEFA rulings it was a correct decision due to the fact Livramento's arm was away from his body and therefore created an 'unnatural' barrier. Not sure what he could have done to avoid it but that's the rules. PL application of the rules are different though.

Salient extract;

“An extended left arm that essentially creates a barrier…once that left arm is out, even though there is a deflection — that no longer is part of the interpretation and analysis — but since it’s a barrier preventing that ball from crossing in, this is an expected VAR recommendation for a handling offense that the referee is not able to see from his angle and positioning.”
    Tino Livramento's arm was up and extended from his body, and thus in an "unnatural" position according to the current interpretation of the rules.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/foot...ged%20unfairly.

I thought it was harsh but actually by UEFA rulings it was a correct decision due to the fact Livramento's arm was away from his body and therefore created an 'unnatural' barrier. Not sure what he could have done to avoid it but that's the rules. PL application of the rules are different though.

Salient extract;

“An extended left arm that essentially creates a barrier…once that left arm is out, even though there is a deflection — that no longer is part of the interpretation and analysis — but since it’s a barrier preventing that ball from crossing in, this is an expected VAR recommendation for a handling offense that the referee is not able to see from his angle and positioning.”
    Tino Livramento's arm was up and extended from his body, and thus in an "unnatural" position according to the current interpretation of the rules.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/foot...ged%20unfairly.
    Agree on both counts, despite it looking ridiculously harsh.

Edit: Apparently now regarded as an error.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th November 2023 at 13:11.

IFAB rules (and as far as I'm aware they apply to UEFA compeitions in the same way they do the Premier League) say:

..."touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised"

I'm no fan of Newcastle, but it was an awful decision. His arm position was entirely natural for somebody running along. Where else would you expect his arm to be in that position, it's hardly any different to Mbappe waiting behind him. If you watch the video of it, you can see his arms are in a completely natural position.

If it it had hit his other arm which was fully outstretched, then maybe that would have been justified.

So the VAR assistant who asked the ref to examine Livramento's handball was removed from his post. Not for that decision, but for not asking the ref to look at Antony Gordon's challenge in the box earlier in the 2nd half!

I reckon UEFA will be awarding pens for defenders giving attackers a dirty look next..

I’ve underestimated Nited this season .
    I can see their plan now . Get in the Thursday Club Cup with their biggest rivals in the world and play a final in front of both sets of home fans in the final in Dublin.
    Clever .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I’ve underestimated Nited this season .
    I can see their plan now . Get in the Thursday Club Cup with their biggest rivals in the world and play a final in front of both sets of home fans in the final in Dublin.
    Clever .
    Haters gonna hate - Not as if we were gonna win it anyway
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 1st December 2023 at 15:07.

Master
    It’s the teams below the top teams in the foreign leagues are poor but the top teams are high level.

I think on the whole the prem has the highest overall standard across the board.

Yeah I agree, it's the depth of quality in the EPL that sets us apart. What never seems to corelate for me is how the best teams in those leagues remain top sides in Europe when they only have a few difficult and challenging games per domestic season. Using that formula, Celtic and PSG should be regularly winning the UCL!

It is a strange one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    It’s the teams below the top teams in the foreign leagues are poor but the top teams are high level.

I think on the whole the prem has the highest overall standard across the board.

That's the marketing spin, best league in the world blah blah blah

Doubt theres much between them in reality. It's not like English clubs are smashing the 2nd and 3rd tier European competitions is it

That's the marketing spin, best league in the world blah blah blah

Doubt theres much between them in reality. It's not like English clubs are smashing the 2nd and 3rd tier European competitions is it

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Villa have breezed the Conference League group stage so far, top of the group and just need a point tomorrow away at Mostar to guarantee coming top and having one game fewer in the next phase in the new year.

Master
    A rare good week for Scottish teams in Europe this week.

Great result for Rangers(said through gritted teeth lol) beating Real Betis (who were unbeaten at home this season) away and qualifying for Europa last 16 as group winners.

Aberdeen beating Frankfurt 2-0 (Frankfurt beat Bayern 5-1 at the weekend) and Celtic eventually winning a champions league game against Feyenoord.

Master
    The Europe leagues are dross.

No English team takes it serious and most teams just play fringe players in it and don’t get serious about it until the 1/4 finals.

I haven’t even watched a Liverpool game in the Europa these team I’ve no interest at all and wouldn’t care if they got beat 10-0 every game by an FC Unknown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    The Europe leagues are dross.

No English team takes it serious and most teams just play fringe players in it and don’t get serious about it until the 1/4 finals.

I haven’t even watched a Liverpool game in the Europa these team I’ve no interest at all and wouldn’t care if they got beat 10-0 every game by an FC Unknown.

Not arrogant at all.