closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Hybrid View

Another very special atmosphere at the cathedral on the hill.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Another very special atmosphere at the cathedral on the hill.
    Watching the match in a bar in Spain, there are a couple of Geordies very happy here. Come on Newcastle hope you can do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Not arrogant at all.
    What’s arrogant about it ? It’s a second rate competition.

I’d rather not be in it at all and concentrate on the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Googled a couple of interesting articles on this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevepr...-in-the-world/

https://sportsquabble.com/is-english...ague-the-best/

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

As I said originally, I don't think it's a massive gulf between them.

What I would say is that Sky/The Times/The Sun/BBC et al etc are all minded to hype their product in their main market.

Whos going to spend £50 a month to subscribe to a TV sports package for "Quite good Footie" rather "EPL best league in the world"....

Possibly ignorant and a bit arrogant if we're not even up for questioning this

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 13th December 2023 at 21:36.

Cracking goal from Joelinton

Master
    Newcastle looking really comfortable, just don’t get caught on the break and they have this in the bag.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good news from the other game. Dortmund 1-0 up

Dortmund 1-1 now
    Last edited by hilly10; 13th December 2023 at 22:17.

Guimaraes has been appalling. He's hit 6 misplaced passes so far

Agreed. First poor game in ages. He’s been immense last six to eight games.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Guimaraes has been appalling. He's hit 6 misplaced passes so far

Howe has to go. How the heck have Newcastle not even got 3rd with the results going their way? That's shameful I'm sorry.

Shameful? In the hardest group in the competition. In our first European season in over 20 years? We didn’t get a piss easy group like Arsenal, Man City or Man Utd.

Howe is as safe as houses for now: Well done on the attempted wind-up though.

Howe has to go. How the heck have Newcastle not even got 3rd with the results going their way? That's shameful I'm sorry.

Well at least UEFA got what they wanted and PSG went through. Corrupt as fuck.

Onwards and upwards with this incredible squad. Less than two seasons into our journey and we’ll be ok. So proud of this group.

Master

Onwards and upwards with this incredible squad. Less than two seasons into our journey and we’ll be ok. So proud of this group.
    I’d settle down a bit with the praise , they finished bottom of a group where the expectation should have been a worst case scenario of 3rd.

what was the corruption?

Master

I don't think Newcastle can talk about corruption...Especially after that goal against Arsenal. The officials were all in Saudi Arabia a week before as well. That was madness.

Shameful? In the hardest group in the competition. In our first European season in over 20 years? We didn’t get a piss easy group like Arsenal, Man City or Man Utd.

Sorry that's BS. Tough group but Newcastle are a team that finished 4th in the PL, the top league, playing against an appalling Milan side, a weakened Dortmund and an out of sorts PSG. And then the results going their way and they still somehow contrive to lose to this shoddy Milan side by being tactically inept and being unfit.

Them and Man Utd's abject performances will really impact on England's UEFA coefficient which means 5th place in the PL may not get a CL spot. We are suffering because of Liverpool's 5th place finish last year as theyd have racked up a load of points this season, and United being pony.

Hopefully the remaining English teams go far because as it stands we are behind Spain and Germany in the UEFA coefficients.

You make it so easy for everyone to hate Arsenal. Can’t wait for the bottlers to go out. F*** the Gooners.

We’re at least five years ahead of schedule.

Sorry that's BS. Tough group but Newcastle are a team that finished 4th in the PL, the top league, playing against an appalling Milan side, a weakened Dortmund and an out of sorts PSG. And then the results going their way and they still somehow contrive to lose to this shoddy Milan side by being tactically inept and being unfit.

Them and Man Utd's abject performances will really impact on England's UEFA coefficient which means 5th place in the PL may not get a CL spot. We are suffering because of Liverpool's 5th place finish last year as theyd have racked up a load of points this season, and United being pony.

Hopefully the remaining English teams go far because as it stands we are behind Spain and Germany in the UEFA coefficients.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 14th December 2023 at 00:27.

Luckily for us all, Arsenal have been trailblazing in the Champions League for over five minutes now .

Behave. Milan are an average team at best, dortmund are currently 5th in the bundesliga. It looked hard because of the names, in reality Newcastle should have got through.

Howes basic approach to tactics let them down. You can’t rely on being purely a physically aggressive team in Europe, the refs won’t allow it. Howe showed a lack of nous, which will eventually cost him his job.

The Saudis won’t tolerate failure long term. I imagine he’ll walk at some point, I wouldn’t want to upset the ownership………

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Behave. Milan are an average team at best, dortmund are currently 5th in the bundesliga. It looked hard because of the names, in reality Newcastle should have got through, except they're $h1te.

Howes basic approach to tactics let them down. You can’t rely on being purely a physically aggressive team in Europe, the refs won’t allow it. Howe showed a lack of nous, which will eventually cost him his job.

The Saudis won’t tolerate failure long term. I imagine he’ll walk at some point, I wouldn’t want to upset the ownership………
    FTFY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Behave. Milan are an average team at best, dortmund are currently 5th in the bundesliga. It looked hard because of the names, in reality Newcastle should have got through.

id echo most of this, Newcastle have underachieved by finishing bottom of that group.

everyone knows howe is a stepping stone, will need a slice of luck to be in charge this time next year.

Have a word with yourself

Did someone say clickbait?

So last 16 23/24 Champions League

4 Spanish
    3 German
    3 Italian
    2 England
    1 Portugal
    1 Danish
    1 Dutch
    1 French

Best league in the world innit mate.....

Master
    I disagree.

It’s Newcastles first champions league attempt and although finished bottom they acquitted themselves well in the games.

It’s also the majority of the players and the managers first attempt in the champions league.

This year is essentially a view of how top teams operate and the issues faced of playing top opposition midweek then back to the prem a few days later.

Although they are out they played well and will fair better next time.

As for Howe I think he’s gone at the end of the season as I’ve already stated. He’s overachieved and basically made a rod for his own back now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I disagree.

It’s Newcastles first champions league attempt and although finished bottom they acquitted themselves well in the games.

It’s also the majority of the players and the managers first attempt in the champions league.

This year is essentially a view of how top teams operate and the issues faced of playing top opposition midweek then back to the prem a few days later.

As for Howe I think he’s gone at the end of the season as I’ve already stated. He’s overachieved and basically made a rod for his own back now.

This for me.

I really like Eddie Howe and think his tactical knowledge will only improve with experience, I do however agree that he will not be afforded that luxury and rumours of the Saudi's being admirers of a certain Jose don't bode well for Eddie.

I agree too, it’s all about taking a look at the top table to see what it’s all about and what you need to progress. There’s never been a rumour here about Jose though. I’ve never seen it in any media outlet either.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    This for me.

I really like Eddie Howe and think his tactical knowledge will only improve with experience, I do however agree that he will not be afforded that luxury and rumours of the Saudi's being admirers of a certain Jose don't bode well for Eddie.

Master
    I agree too, it’s all about taking a look at the top table to see what it’s all about and what you need to progress. There’s never been a rumour here about Jose though. I’ve never seen it in any media outlet either.
    I started doubting myself for a minute but I did read it somewhere and it was not a figment of my imagination.

https://www.givemesport.com/jose-mou...ws-eddie-howe/

I am not suggesting the rumour is true of course, most rumours are wide off the mark.

Thanks, I'd never seen that. On the basis that it's a givemesport (never heard of them) article and it doesn't use a single quote or reference a single source I think I'll choose to ignore it. You could literally re-publish that article using other clubs and managers names and put my name on it as the author and it would hold the same relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    I started doubting myself for a minute but I did read it somewhere and it was not a figment of my imagination.

https://www.givemesport.com/jose-mou...ws-eddie-howe/

I am not suggesting the rumour is true of course, most rumours are wide off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I disagree.

I don’t think it’s likely they’ll be there next season. The top 3 looks relatively set, then Villa look strong, and spurs will (unfortunately) come good once Maddison etc come back. Especially if the chicken man has discovered how to score.

The thing about plans is if you overachieve and hit a key milestone early then that gives you the chance to re-evaluate the plan, maybe make a new plan and use the overachievement to invest in the new goal.

Sorry, I know Newcastle have had injuries but coming 4th in their group is an absolute disgrace, the fans should not be 'proud' of that and the owners will, I assure you, already be planning Eddie's replacement.

If they stay on the current path when are they realistically getting back into the CL? They won't be able to invest in players without a revenue stream to enable them to do that without falling foul of FFP.

Good night for the Brits tonight. Brighton, West Ham, Rangers all doing the business, Villa drew and Liverpool B lost narrowly.

Thursdays > Tuesdays/Wednesdays

Some more information on the UEFA co-efficient situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67722356

On the flip side the English teams that did qualify did so in 1st place in their groups so should in theory progress further which would boost the points we need to get a 5th CL spot.

Watching the Saudi Community Shield thing City are playing in against what appears to be a Japanese version of Manchester United, what has happened to Kyle Walker? He looks a shadow of his former self

Watching the Saudi Community Shield thing City are playing in against what appears to be a Japanese version of Manchester United, what has happened to Kyle Walker? He looks a shadow of his former self
    Captaincy weighs heavy I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wellsy View Post
    Captaincy weighs heavy I think.
    Not sure what people were watching. Kyle does his job and has been brilliant for us. As well as being a brilliant defender, how good was that through ball for our second goal. It was like something that KDB does…..

Current Champions League odds.

Makes sense City are favourites. Doesn't make sense that Bayern are favoured slightly more than Arsenal or that Arsenal are the same odds as Real Madrid as I'd have thought Real would be 2nd favourites and only slightly bigger odds than Man City, and certainly not given the same probability to win the tournament as Arsenal. Real play Leipzig so it's not as if they've drawn a super tough 2nd placed team like Inter.

Dortmund each way is worth considering.

Current Champions League odds.

Makes sense City are favourites. Doesn't make sense that Bayern are favoured slightly more than Arsenal or that Arsenal are the same odds as Real Madrid as I'd have thought Real would be 2nd favourites and only slightly bigger odds than Man City, and certainly not given the same probability to win the tournament as Arsenal. Real play Leipzig so it's not as if they've drawn a super tough 2nd placed team like Inter.

Bayern losing at Lazio and down to 10.

Trophy-dodger Kane is at it again.

So poor from Arsenal, not a single shot on target all match against a very average Porto side. Taking off an attacker for another defensive midfielder was a tactical mastermind

Gooners got the job done. Tight but bravo. Arsenal might win something if they keep going. Arteta out indeed!

Crikey that was tough. Fair play Porto - we weren't better than them I didn't think. The 3 weeks off are much needed as well look knackered.

Fabulous pens by the Gooners

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Fabulous pens by the Gooners

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    And two fine saves

Apparently if Atletico get through and draw Arsenal in the next round it will be called 'El.Shitehouseico'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Arsenal will get through. Tough semi that.

Great draw for Liverpool in lower tier comp.

Shock!

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post

Great draw for Liverpool

Only the Europa but after losing 1-0 to Freiburg at their place the Irons certainly brought the heat to them in the return at the London stadium last night.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Only the Europa but after losing 1-0 to Freiburg at their place the Irons certainly brought the heat to them in the return at the London stadium last night.
    Your next game is huge for the teams hoping to achieve five Champions League places!