closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Championship Fred 23/24

Hybrid View

Master
    all of you promotion chasers enjoying the limelight!

the bottom is also the usual battle between 4-8 clubs (depending on your thinking).

my lot, QPR, are putting me properly through all of the emotions at the moment. But at least we have picked up a few results to stay in touch with Huddersfiled while Millwall, Stoke, Blackburn and a couple of others are quietly slipping down towards us, shame Brum got rid of Rooney so soon!

we've had 3 6 pointers recently and picked up 2 draws and a defeat, which hasn't helped one bit. We consistently mess up in these games to not close the gap when presented with the opportunity

back to you guys and your promotion dreams!

A couple of weeks ago I watched the documentary The Five Year Plan - I'm sure you're aware of it. Amazing insight of what went on at your club at the time. Could have been called "how not to run a football club" but it worked and you got to the promised land.

A cracking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    all of you promotion chasers enjoying the limelight!

the bottom is also the usual battle between 4-8 clubs (depending on your thinking).

my lot, QPR, are putting me properly through all of the emotions at the moment. But at least we have picked up a few results to stay in touch with Huddersfiled while Millwall, Stoke, Blackburn and a couple of others are quietly slipping down towards us, shame Brum got rid of Rooney so soon!

we've had 3 6 pointers recently and picked up 2 draws and a defeat, which hasn't helped one bit. We consistently mess up in these games to not close the gap when presented with the opportunity

back to you guys and your promotion dreams!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I watched the documentary The Five Year Plan - I'm sure you're aware of it. Amazing insight of what went on at your club at the time. Could have been called "how not to run a football club" but it worked and you got to the promised land.

A cracking watch.
    worst horror film for me....got to the promised land ahead of schedule and then royally fecked it up.....twice.

£42m ffp fine that we are still carrying around now.

was a great team to watch though, with Adele Taraabt unplayable and worth the ticket money alone

Master
    As a Hull fan I’m well aware of poor ownership and what it can do to a club. What a difference a couple of years have made… we’ve gone from selling every decent player we had, crowds of 8000 and relegation to a decent chance of promotion thanks to a quite brilliant owner in front of sell out crowds. We had a really good January transfer window and in Philogene, Zaroury and Carvalho we have some serious talent, promotion is a real possibility. Even if we don’t do it this season, and I don’t think we will, the positivity and buzz around the team is great. My 5 year old got his first season ticket this year… I hope he doesn’t think this is normal for Hull!!

Master
    Can't beat the rollercoaster of abject failure, mediocrity and a bit of success. I actually feel sorry for those who don't experience the full range of emotions!

Way to go Huddersfield, keep up the good work!

Bugger bugger bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Bugger bugger bugger.
    I think Southampton are currently a better team than Leicester, they just had a slow start to the season.

Ipswich fading badly though

Bugger bugger bugger.
    Shouldn't that be "Bugger bugger bugger bugger bugger"?

Good win for us today, but we really should have converted more of our chances against Rotherham.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Shouldn't that be "Bugger bugger bugger bugger bugger"?

Good win for us today, but we really should have converted more of our chances against Rotherham.
    Yes, in the end it should. Still, at least Ipswich seem to be fading, just need Southampton to have a bad patch four points worse than any Leeds bad patch.

Grand Master
    The next two weeks are season defining for us I think, two tricky away ties and then Leicester at home. Win those three and the run to the end of the season looks easier. Lose more than one and playoffs beckon. If Southampton pip us then the only other team that would worry me in the playoffs is Sunderland , on their day they can be brilliant.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Was anyone here at the saints game as that was a crazy result.

As a lifelong Leeds fan, I believe Southampton will go up automatically with Leicester but still feel that, since Christmas, Leicester have been a bit shaky relative to Leeds and Southampton.

Leeds keep coming good lately but I’m never 100% confident in them and as mentioned a little earlier, the playoffs will be a lottery and something we’ve never managed to successfully negotiate.

Blog Entries
    As a lifelong Leeds fan, I believe Southampton will go up automatically with Leicester but still feel that, since Christmas, Leicester have been a bit shaky relative to Leeds and Southampton.

Leeds keep coming good lately but I’m never 100% confident in them and as mentioned a little earlier, the playoffs will be a lottery and something we’ve never managed to successfully negotiate.
    I don’t fully disagree…. But, it’s been one defeat and one draw in 5 (our rough patch)…. When we turn it on, we’re objectively the best in the league…. We need to go through the gears a bit more confidently

Top two is a must for the three teams competing for second place…. As you say, the playoffs are a lottery…. Great fun if you win though (wistfully recalling being at Wembley and watching Super Stevie shin one in v Palace!)

I do agree, Leicester are the best team in the championship, Southampton second and Leeds third, the fact that it currently coincides with their league positions is no coincidence.

Both Leicester and Southampton having being long established premiership teams and the three seasons Leeds spent there have ensured that.

That it’s also quite possible that the three promoted teams last season could be the three relegated this season is an indication of just how much difference the premiership money makes and the gap is getting wider each season. I don’t think it will be too long before it’s a given that the three relegated sides each season will be promoted the next.

Should my prediction prove wrong and Everton be relegated, I fully expect them to return as champions for the 25/26 season.

Master
    Long way to go yet, I recall Southampton have the toughest run in, only a few wins against the top 6/10 sides and so it may yet come down to the final game of the season at ER. If Leeds can be more clinical in front of goal I think they'll finish 2nd as expect Southampton to have a bad patch (asap please!).

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Long way to go yet, I recall Southampton have the toughest run in, only a few wins against the top 6/10 sides and so it may yet come down to the final game of the season at ER. If Leeds can be more clinical in front of goal I think they'll finish 2nd as expect Southampton to have a bad patch (asap please!).
    Here’s hoping.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    chatting to a Leeds mate and he was pointing out how few goals you've shipped of late, only 1 in the last 6 since losing to WBA. so Leeds are also hitting form at the right time; going to be a cracking run in

Master
    chatting to a Leeds mate and he was pointing out how few goals you've shipped of late, only 1 in the last 6 since losing to WBA. so Leeds are also hitting form at the right time; going to be a cracking run in
    That's since Ampadu dropped into a CB pairing with Rodon, following Strjuyk's injury. Whilst Ampadu has been very good as one of two holding MFs is hard to see him playing there again for a while, especially as we've signed a RB which allows for Gray to revert to midfield.
    Like you say, it could be a great run in, although I appreciate that the top 3 places being dominated by relegated sides is less than ideal for the league (but indicative of the growing financial gulf between the PL and the Championship). That said, Leeds fans won't be counting any chickens!

Leeds/Southampton both have banana skin away games this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Leeds/Southampton both have banana skin away games this evening.
    Not such a banana skin for Leeds it seems!

I think the three points are probably safe for Leeds now, let’s hope Bristol don’t let it slip now.

Great thread. Ipswich season ticket holder here. Enjoying the season so far. A far cry from our last time in the Champ and subsequent 4 year spell in the League 1 wilderness. Still lots of matches to play and points to play for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mappa View Post
    Great thread. Ipswich season ticket holder here. Enjoying the season so far. A far cry from our last time in the Champ and subsequent 4 year spell in the League 1 wilderness. Still lots of matches to play and points to play for.

And Ipswich certainly aren’t out of it yet. With three teams who really can’t afford to not win, even Leicester who are 11 points clear cannot afford to take their foot off the gas.

The final run in is going to be nerve wracking for all four sets of supporters.

And Ipswich certainly aren’t out of it yet. With three teams who really can’t afford to not win, even Leicester who are 11 points clear cannot afford to take their foot off the gas.

The final run in is going to be nerve wracking for all four sets of supporters.
    It will indeed, a favourable run (on paper) for Ipswich with only Soton at home left to play from the main protagonists, should keep us in the hunt. Our blip coincided with a tough run of fixtures and more importantly an injury to George Hirst who is critical to how we play, with others unable to replicate him, hopefully the Jan window has addressed that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mappa View Post
    It will indeed, a favourable run (on paper) for Ipswich with only Soton at home left to play from the main protagonists, should keep us in the hunt. Our blip coincided with a tough run of fixtures and more importantly an injury to George Hirst who is critical to how we play, with others unable to replicate him, hopefully the Jan window has addressed that.

Ipswich have definitely got the easier run in on paper.
    I don't think any team in the championship has finished with 92 points (2 point a game average) and not gone up automatically.

Craftsman
    Great win for Leeds today against a good home side in Plymouth.
    I missed the first half but happy to see a goal in the second.
    We've had some good games against them this season and yet another long distance fixture this month for the fans.

Southampton have to go to Ipswich, Leicester and Leeds (last game of season!).

Rare slip up from Leicester but still nine points clear of second and Ipswich still not giving up.

The playoffs are going to be extra tough this year it seems.

Blog Entries
    Well, I suppose I better turn up on this thread when we lose too!

Boro ripped us on the counter…. And we missed too many sitters…. 2.49 v 0.69 XG does not win you a game…

Wasn’t our day and we weren’t good enough frankly…

I was really impressed with Boro…. A very good side and way better than there league position

You can’t win ‘em all…!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    It’s good practice for if you get promoted!

Master
    it's as if I have a crystal ball.....

lose a 6 pointer and then go to Brizzle on the back of them beating Southampton and win away 1-0.

actually played really well and had the best chances to score a couple more. Nervy injury time with one of the best defensive headers for us you'll ever see, but would have been disallowed anyway. Team unrecognisable from the rabble that turned up at Stoke midweek.

enjoyed my nerve wracking away day; Brizzle is my closest EFL ground and we had a decent following today; despite being utter shite our fans are still travelling in decent numbers

good to see Stoke back to losing ways and Millwall continuing their freefall; long may both keep doing this!

Journeyman
    it's as if I have a crystal ball.....

lose a 6 pointer and then go to Brizzle on the back of them beating Southampton and win away 1-0.

actually played really well and had the best chances to score a couple more. Nervy injury time with one of the best defensive headers for us you'll ever see, but would have been disallowed anyway. Team unrecognisable from the rabble that turned up at Stoke midweek.

enjoyed my nerve wracking away day; Brizzle is my closest EFL ground and we had a decent following today; despite being utter shite our fans are still travelling in decent numbers

good to see Stoke back to losing ways and Millwall continuing their freefall; long may both keep doing this!
    Just knew we would blow it today after getting a couple of good results.
    QPR were well worthy of the win. Good travelling support ,with great noise coming from you lot.
    Hopefully you can now go on and secure your safety

Blog Entries

Boro ripped us on the counter…. And we missed too many sitters…. 2.49 v 0.69 XG does not win you a game…

Wasn’t our day and we weren’t good enough frankly…

I was really impressed with Boro…. A very good side and way better than there league position

You can’t win ‘em all…!
    Yep, keeping an eye the matches on FotMob at Carra Rud yesterday Henry was ‘Foxes will pull it back….’ So a bit surprised.

The last four home games we have looked sublime in places but yesterday was a complete performance from the off. Looking like we are finishing how we started.

You could not pick MotM yesterday we were that good. Check out Sara’s free kick.

Must catch up soon buddy, life is on the up and need to get across for a curry.

Pitch

#OTBC

Rare slip up from Leicester
    Let's just hope that they slip up again on Friday!

A few seasons ago when Leeds finished third, they lost at home to the two teams above them late in the season.

Had they won both games rather than losing them, they would have finished as champions.

Let’s hope they don’t make the same mistake again.

Master
    Amen to that!

It’s going to be tight. I’ve a feeling that, if Leeds win tonight, it may be Leeds and Southampton who get automatic promotion and Leicester in the playoffs.

Whoever does end up in the playoffs is going to have it tough with both West Brom and Hull showing good form at the moment.

That’s a big call Dave. Leeds will still be six points behind Leicester and Southampton around eight points behind so I’m interested in why you think Leicester will implode and only make the playoffs?

It’s going to be tight. I’ve a feeling that, if Leeds win tonight, it may be Leeds and Southampton who get automatic promotion and Leicester in the playoffs.

Whoever does end up in the playoffs is going to have it tough with both West Brom and Hull showing good form at the moment.

That’s a big call Dave. Leeds will still be six points behind Leicester and Southampton around eight points behind so I’m interested in why you think Leicester will implode and only make the playoffs?
    Just a feeling, it will probably be as wrong as I usually am.

Master
    Leeds are likely to have a rough patch (or 2) before the season ends, I think Ipswich will fall behind the top 3 and Southampton will lose a few games against teams in the top 10 as their record against them isn't great.

I don't see Leicester missing out from here as that requires two teams to overtake them. I'll settle for Leeds being up before the final game, although losing in the play offs and romping the league next year would be ok too .

Blog Entries
    I’m as confident as I can be that we’ll go up and probably as champions….

Hauling is in, even if we do lose tonight, is a massive ask…

I’d feel a bit chirpier with 3 points in the bag though

Am I watching the same game as the commentators? They’re on about it being a pulsating game. I’m watching a game of little quality and even less goalmouth action. Poor.

Blog Entries
    Am I watching the same game as the commentators? They’re on about it being a pulsating game. I’m watching a game of little quality and even less goalmouth action. Poor.
    The commentators are too busy tongue punching Leeds’ non return valve…

It’s had a few good moments, but yeah…. It’s been short on quality

Can we hang on?

I think you’ll win it 0-2. You had complete control first half.

The commentators are too busy tongue punching Leeds’ non return valve…

It’s had a few good moments, but yeah…. It’s been short on quality

Can we hang on?

The Championship Fred 23/24

Can we hang on?
    The question now is can we hang on?

That’s probably a yes now.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 23rd February 2024 at 22:54.

That’s your lead halved in under a week, it’s going to be an interesting run in.

Blog Entries
    Baff…. A proper gut punch that….

Very happy with the result. But Daka's goal should have been allowed.

Blog Entries
    Very happy with the result. But Daka's goal should have been allowed.
    I thought Choudhury had hit it and it was a good call…. Replay shows it was clearly a goal…. I hate VAR, so I won’t complain

The pereira booking was bizarre and Pawson is a muppet

Two gilt edge chances to score

One double deflection own goal

A further deflected goal

Funny old game and all that…