closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spitfire Project - Fine all metal display model - Are you interested ?

Spitfire Project - Fine all metal display model - Are you interested ?

Posted with the kind permission of Eddie

Hi folks

I'm here today to punt my wares ! Are you interested? I know there are a lot of aviation enthusiasts here.

Some of you may know that I like to make things in metal. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a model maker, I just enjoy creating new things for the enjoyment of it. It had been a long time goal of mine to recreate a Spitfire in solid polished aluminum. Looking around the internet I could only ever find rough stamped or badly formed versions of this aircraft which never do the aircraft justice, in my opinion! Certainly not good enough for my desk!

https://www.gasgasbones.com/

So I set the ball rolling with the design and drawing of the aircraft using a talented CAD guy Ive used for various other bits and bobs. Because I have to build these, I had a specific idea how the parts would fit together and how the aircraft would sit on its base. Being removable for the odd polishing session or simply whizzing it around the living room going dagadagadaga. Picture 4 shows how the spitfire rests on its stand.
    As you can see here, I think I have done this icon justice and have ended up with a glorious representation of this aircraft, banking gracefully. Is there any other way to show off a Spitfire! :-)

From just the initial renders I got 12 names to push the project through enough to get the price breaks for machining. The aircraft parts are 'rough' machined and when I get them I set to work on the polishing, gentle fettling, more polishing, base manufacture, engraving, some more polishing , foam cutting, more polishing etc etc. There are hours of work in just one model. They certainly dont come to me like this, ready to go.

The model itself is a beautiful size, it has a 400mm wing span and is 330mm in length. A rare thing to admire and eventually hand down to the next generation. So come on guys, flog that crappy old watch that 1000s of other people own and put some cash into this beauty

Price of this model shipped to your door from my workshop is £730 for UK buyers. Any overseas buyers and I'm afraid due to the weight and size of the box I will need to add shipping. The last one I sent was 90 quid !

Questions.
    1) Where are they machined ?
    China. ( mostly ) Guys, I like to be as honest as possible when it comes to my stuff. To get these machined here in the UK would have been a horrendous cost and would certainly have put the kybosh on the project. The main 5 axis CNC work is done in China and the base plate etc is done by myself here in the UK. I would have loved to have them made here but sadly its not possible at this price point.
    While doing this I built up a great relationship with the machine shop. The work they presented was impeccable, when the parts click together it's a real chef's kiss moment. Cor, I love great engineering :-)

2) What would be the time scale for delivery?
    The first batch took roughly 3 months from hitting the GO button to shipping the model. There may be some flex either way depending on what the machinists have in front of Spitfire. Please also remember that I do a hell a lot of work on these myself. Doing 20 will take much longer than doing 10 so it really depends on how many say yes and would be a matter of 'buy and forget' for bit.

3) Will there be any changes to this model?
    Yes. I plan on introducing some subtle panel lines and control surface lines. There will be a filler cap forward of the cockpit too. The second version would also include the exhaust stubbies, something I drew up and made at a later stage for the initial owners. Check the last image.

4) Will you take requests for changes/deferent MK of Spitfire
    No

5) Can you custom engrave a plate ?
    Yes

6) Do you keep people informed of progress?
    Yes. You wont get an email from me every two minutes, just general updates.

7) Are they numbered ?
    Yes.

8) Can you bump me up the queue ?
    No. Thats unfair for other people. The first batch I did in stages and a second batch would probably follow the same pattern of doing things in stages rather than one whole model at a time.

More images
    https://www.gasgasbones.com/spitfire-images

If this is something you would like to own and cherish then I need names, gulp. Price breaks kick in at 10 or more.

Should I get the required amount then a confirmation email will be sent to confirm it is going ahead and a deposit of half the cost will then be requested. This deposit is only refundable should I get another name after the closing. Machining is expensive, I can't soak up costs if you later change your mind.

Please EMAIL me at spitfireproject1940@gmail.com
    Emails are much easier to keep track of!

Thank you for your time, guys. Of course thank you too Eddie for giving permission for this post.

Engines running. Chocks away.

Carl

Last edited by gasgasbones; 6th October 2023 at 11:25.

That's stunning and looks beautifully finished, congratulations. I'm tempted even though I own one of THESE.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    That's stunning and looks beautifully finished, congratulations. I'm tempted even though I own one of THESE.
    They are pretty cool. Big I believe ? I'm not exactly sure how they make those, it looks to me like the aluminium or litho sheet is formed over an RC fuselage. Its something I pondered trying.

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    They are pretty cool. Big I believe ? I'm not exactly sure how they make those, it looks to me like the aluminium or litho sheet is formed over an RC fuselage. Its something I pondered trying.
    It's thin aluminium sheet over a wooden former for the fuselage and wings. Given your skills I'm certain you'll know better than me how the rest is produced. I picked it up at the Goodwood Revival around a decade ago.

Now THIS guy knows how to build a model. Truly incredible work by David Glen.

https://www.warbirdsinmyworkshop.net...n-my-workshop/

He's changed his website since I last looked and it has fewer images now, I presume to entice more people to buy his book. I purchased the book a while ago and it has some amazing images in it.
    If you are into aviation, Spitfires or model making I would recommend it in a heartbeat.