closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The number of fakes on Vinted

The number of fakes on Vinted

Does anyone else check and report them , so they can be removed from sale ?
    I started doing this a few weeks ago and it’s feeling like a job.
    The same ads are relisted under a different user I’d , even more than once a day.
    I routinely check £500 Cartier Bangles, £1500 Rolex from my ex - wife , Tags at £250 - New

Master
    Actually just reported an Omega Planet Ocean and a Rolex Sub.....wonder if anything will happen?

If it's anything like eBay, the answer will be no.

There have been some terrible tag heuer and montblanc on eBay recently, reported and they did nothing.

Some poor soul paid £1400 for a tag heuer carrera calibre 16 with a cheap Chinese movement inside the other day.

Sent from a technical device.

I find they do regularly get Removed from Sale but then the persistent buggars just relist with a different I’d

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smeddles View Post
    I find they do regularly get Removed from Sale but then the persistent buggars just relist with a different I’d
    Likewise on Gumtree.
    Waste of time i think reporting.

Interesting footnote.
    Advertised a Sinn on Gumtree once. U boat steel.

Yes you’ve guessed it. Advert got removed. :0)

Journeyman
    The quality of Rolex fakes with box and papers is nuts. These things are very hard to tell apart now. It's buyer beware.

Master
    If you are buying a Rolex on Vinted then I think you kind of get what you deserve. I would never dream of looking for a watch on Vinted. E bay is bad enough.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestofthebest View Post
    The quality of Rolex fakes with box and papers is nuts. These things are very hard to tell apart now. It's buyer beware.
    I think someone posted a link to a YouTube video comparing a real and $1000 fake Daytona the other day. Really quite subtle differences that, even side-by-side, would not be at all obvious to most. It made me think that for heavily counterfeited brands like Rolex you really should stick to sources that are known to be unimpeachable.

EDIT:
    https://youtu.be/OId0C2vzJbQ?si=Z-C12cmbnuxTWy8P

I report them all the time.. they are removed but it’s never ending.
    You can only do your bit and hope that nobody gets caught out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Facebook market place seems to 50% scammers too.

I don’t really look at Vinted for watches but my wife loves it as a selling site, Im pretty sure the money that is paid by a buyer is held by Vinted until the buyer says they are happy with their purchase then it’s released , I’m not sure how people are getting away with selling fakes if that’s the case.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I don’t really look at Vinted for watches but my wife loves it as a selling site, Im pretty sure the money that is paid by a buyer is held by Vinted until the buyer says they are happy with their purchase then it’s released , I’m not sure how people are getting away with selling fakes if that’s the case.
    Probably most of the buyers are not able to suss that they have bought a fake, will initially be satisfied with what they receive, and will only find out they’ve been had when it’s too late.

Surely, if you're buying an X for Y% of what you truly believe the real price to be ... On Vinted ... Then you must know you're probably buying a fake ...

As they they say, if it seems too good to be true...

I expect the majority of people buying fakes on Vinted, know they are buying fakes on Vinted and are happy to do so.

To the point about £1,000 fakes being almost indistinguishable from a real one. Good luck to them. We, on this forum at least, happily spend way over the value of something on a watch because of what it is, and how it makes you feel. If your goal is the Flex ... Then a fake makes a far more sensible option. To those wishing to spend 4 figures on something to try to impress someone else ... Each to their own... But we're looking at a far bigger issue than watches, and people getting ripped off.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamiej; 15th October 2023 at 22:03.

I don't know if it's a regional thing (unlikely) but Fb Marketplace is awash with impossibly cheap cars at the moment, especially prestige vehicles that are advertised at a fraction of their value.

As an example:
    AUDI Q7
    72300 miles

Yours for £3400...

R

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...88105829554899
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    Surely, if you're buying an X for Y% of what you truly believe the real price to be ... On Vinted ... Then you must know you're probably buying a fake ...

As they they say, if it seems too good to be true...

I expect the majority of people buying fakes on Vinted, know they are buying fakes on Vinted and are happy to do so.

To the point about £1,000 fakes being almost indistinguishable from a real one. Good luck to them. We, on this forum at least, happily spend way over the value of something on a watch because of what it is, and how it makes you feel. If your goal is the Flex ... Then a fake makes a far more sensible option. To those wishing to spend 4 figures on something to try to impress someone else ... Each to their own... But we're looking at a far bigger issue than watches, and people getting ripped off.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk
    There is a world of difference between a fake watch advertised for £100 you know exactly what you are buying surely nobody is dumb enough to believe anything else. It is the pieces that are advertised at seemingly bargain tempting prices which can catch people out.. remember they are just pictures of possibly genuine watches but what you receive may be something very different..No idea how good Vinted are at resolving disputes…why would anyone take that risk??.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I don't know if it's a regional thing (unlikely) but Fb Marketplace is awash with impossibly cheap cars at the moment, especially prestige vehicles that are advertised at a fraction of their value.

As an example:
    AUDI Q7
    72300 miles

Yours for £3400...

R

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...88105829554899
    Serious question, but what is the end game in this? Would anyone be so obtuse as to pay a deposit for such a vehicle? How does the scam work?

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Serious question, but what is the end game in this? Would anyone be so obtuse as to pay a deposit for such a vehicle? How does the scam work?
    As I said earlier, the number of scammers on FB is chronic. The scam is simple, it's lierally - Answer any questions from the enquirer, say I've got loads of interest, please send a holding deposit. FB know how prolific this is and yet do nothing about it. The more scam posts you make the better the chance of reeling someone in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As I said earlier, the number of scammers on FB is chronic. The scam is simple, it's lierally - Answer any questions from the enquirer, say I've got loads of interest, please send a holding deposit. FB know how prolific this is and yet do nothing about it. The more scam posts you make the better the chance of reeling someone in.
    The fact that the prices are so unrealistic may be a deliberate feature, as with those emails about the US$78,243,112 that will be released to you if you can first unlock the funds by paying a modest clearance fee. They are not supposed to be too convincing, because the scammers only want to reel in the truly gullible and stupid. If there was a bit more plausibility about the offer they might waste time working on half-smart punters who would smell a rat before sending them any money.

As for Facebook: the absolute pits. They will happily ignore any kind of skullduggery if it is easier or more beneficial for them to do so, unless absolutely forced to do something about it. Never had an account there, and happy about it.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 17th October 2023 at 08:41.

Master
    It beggars belief.
    Just being nosey I have a goosey at the ad, then at the person's profile. Dozens of similar ridiculous ads, all posted on the same day. Looks like the account has been hacked. One would have to be insane to send any deposit.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk