Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
Yea it's pretty much essential in that income bracket I think. 62% saving if you're able to contribute to your workplace pension via salary sacrifice and avoid NI too. Considerably more if you've got young children due to the support that stops at £100k taxable income, meaning potentially greater than 100% saving (i.e. folk can actually end up with more money in their pocket today as a result of contributing more to their pension for the future - big win!).

Kind of debateable. It is the traditional way and gears you up for buying an annuity, but if you don't intend to buy an annuity and are keeping your funds invested to keep generating returns throughout your retirement then this may not be a winning strategy. Of course, crystal ball stuff really, who knows what will happen!
both very good points and a big area for basic pension advice. The derisking as you approach retirement (lifestyling) is less relevant now with flexible pensions in retirement; if you are likely to be retired for 30 years and don't buy an annuity then you are probably better off maintaining a similar level of risk. You just need a strategy whereby you have some cash element to cover income in shorter periods and not deplete funds when markets do fall.

the indirect tax regime by stealth using loss of personal or child allowance really boils my piss as its so underhand and people can easily overlook it if they don't get advice.