closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newly acquired BMW clutch issues

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    That's great! You've sorted the OP out - I wish them luck in getting that new clutch fitted.
    Why?
    So serious question- if this was an engine would you apply the same criteria?
    You could argue at 65k miles and 7 years old that the engine is 2/3 worn.
    There would be no way of knowing the engine was to fail in 4 months if it were operating ok. There may have been some “tells” but let’s assume there wasn’t
    It’s your car your engines just gone kaboom… good luck getting an engine?
    Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFF is entirely correct that the Consumer Rights Act does indeed provide protection from day of purchase, indeed up to six years from day of purchase be that bought new or used.

The link provided is factual, but IMHO gives a dose of false hope...

The CRA is not a black and white law that allows a Consumer to discover a fault within that period and simply expect a refund (first 30 days), a possible refund, repair and/or reduction in cost (first 6 months) and then the same from 6 months to 6 years where the onus on proving the fault was present at point of sale then falls to the consumer, not the retailer.

Taken from the link: ‘of satisfactory quality’ - it should do what you’d expect for its age, mileage, price and type'. Not black, not white, more a shade of grey.

That's a reasonability test that can only be provided by and enforced by a court. It can (and is) a lottery if claims get that far. The reasonability test looks at price paid, age, condition at point of sale (mileage etc if it's a car) and then what the actual fault is. Down to the Judge to then decide the outcome.

In this instance, the clutch is a wear and tear item. In this instance, four months into ownership with no previous apparent faults would indicate the clutch was fine at point of sale. Of course, it was worn. It has 65k on it and is 7 years old - which is why the price paid was the price paid. Should a purchaser expect to have to pay for a fault to be rectified at this age and mileage?...maybe, maybe not. It depends on the severity and cost of repairing said fault. Engine goes bang after 4 months...good chance that that would be a successful claim, indeed I've seen one be granted by a Judge after three years of ownership...on a car that was six year old when purchased.

The variable here - and this is not aimed at the OP - is the fact the item is a consumable and is continually subject to wear. How the car has been driven could have lessened or extended the clutch life - which brings the reasonable test into play.

The advice given to contact the Dealer and thrash out a possible contribution is sound. If the Dealer has some morals, they will help - I would. I would not assume anything further than that.

I might have missed it....but do we know how many miles the OP has done since ownership?

If it's just a few hundred, as opposed to several thousand it's likely to have a reasonable impact on his argument.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    7 year old car isn't that young. I've a 2016 BMW with 90,000 miles and would expect to be replacing the clutch fairly soon, if I hang on to it.

That's the gamble with buying 7 year old used cars. Mine drives like it did when new, the next owner will get a car that looks and drives the same as it did when it cost £30,000 but will be paying less than a £10k. Shelling out for clutch/exhaust/tyres/disc and pads etc. is the price you pay for not buying new.
    My 18 year old E39 530d still had the original clutch at 207,000 miles.. guess they don't make em like they used to these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    My 18 year old E39 530d still had the original clutch at 207,000 miles.. guess they don't make em like they used to these days.
    Or people don’t know how to drive… In 43 years of driving I’ve only ever replaced one clutch, and that includes a few cars with well over 150k on the clock when sold on.

The one clutch that needed replacing was on my very first car, a Hillman Imp that as a 17 year old hooligan got thrashed everywhere, including much clutch slipping🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Or people don’t know how to drive… In 43 years of driving I’ve only ever replaced one clutch, and that includes a few cars with well over 150k on the clock when sold on.

The one clutch that needed replacing was on my very first car, a Hillman Imp that as a 17 year old hooligan got thrashed everywhere, including much clutch slipping🤪
    Made me laugh reading that! Similar story here, 37 years of driving and only one clutch replaced, my first car, a mini van at the age of 17!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app