closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grail watches that DID live up to the dream

Grail watches that DID live up to the dream

After Shishy's excellent but depressing post (we've all been there and some of us took a bath on the resale) how about grail watches that DID live up to the dream?

The only criterion is you have to have owned for at least a year -- no honeymooners, please!

Mine is the SM300.

Why? What's so great about it?

1. It just looks perfect. In particular the vanilla tritium (in this case sympathetically relumed) and acrylic crystal give it a warm, soft aesthetic.

2. Large and legible layout -- increasingly important for my aged eyes -- with fat hands and simple flat "printed" dial -- no fussy furniture, subdials, extraneous text or other "embellishments")

3. Simple and stylish (three hander, no date, no pushers, no frills or "features")

4. Lume. Large plots and wide hands means it glows like a torch in the dark (again, important for men of a certain age who need to pee at 3am -- thank you, SuperLuminova!)

5. The case: A diver with the Speedmaster's lyre lugs combined, still slim enough to slide under shirt cuffs, no bling. 20mm lugs and almost as much of a strap monster as the Speedy (I've had it on bracelets, Bonklips, NATOs, leather etc)

6. Pressure-tested with decent WR

7. Automatic (cal 552: solid workhorse, does the job without complaining)

8. Solid pedigree (including as an issued mil watch) from one of the most venerable Swiss manufactures

9. The white seconds hand with the lumed tip really "pops" against the matte black ground.

10. It flies just far enough under the radar to avoid unwanted attention (very few people comment on it and that suits me just fine) while being a stone cold classic that always gets the nod from those in the know

Sure, you could wear an old Sub and get most of those features -- but a price! Plus, I think the SM300 is nicer in every way. And it's an Omega, a brand I have a great deal of respect and affection for.

I don't think I've worn a single watch so much in the last 15 years: it really is my "go-to" / "goes-everywhere" accessory; I can't see how it could be bettered. It's iconic and Omega could do worse than to remake a 1:1 perfect reissue, especially now since the watchco sources have dried up.

What an absolute beauty Rev, the Smiths ain’t too shabby either!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nothing. Trinkets that I get bored of.

When I bought my subby 13 years ago I never imagined a day when I wouldn't covet it.

Now it sits unloved in a drawer.

Master
    Yes! I have my grail piece and it's absolutely, 100% fulfilled everything I wanted it to be.

Ever since watching Vanilla Sky, and noting the sneaky close up of the Mark XV, I wanted one. However, as many know, IWCs aren't cheap at all. They seem to hold their value. So I had to wait until I had enough spare cash, and that was last year.

When I started looking for an XV, I saw the XVI and XVIII, and immediately fell for the sword hands. The differences between the two are quite subtle, but I favoured the balanced dial of the XVI and the inverse date wheel.

So I bought the XVI.

What I love about it...

Heritage, so much heritage.

Obscene clarity and readability.

So slim and light, it's sometimes easy to forget it's on my wrist.

Classy, but draws no attention to itself from normal folk (non-WIS'ers).

The 'IWC Schaffhausen' text. Pure class.

Accuracy. It's been serviced, running at +0.5spd worn.

My other half loves it; it's her favourite from my small collection.

What I don't like about it...

Nothing, expect that I wish I'd found one with a bracelet. I may have that solved though, potentially.

----

It'll never be sold, and I'll pass it on to my son when I hit the deck.

Had this for over 15yrs and still love it.

Master
    16600 for me - had it 20 years, still wear it 3-4 days of any given week. It's looking a bit tatty these days but that's the way I like it.

Master
    I'll have to bump this thread in 10 months time as I've only had mine for a couple of months, ha.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I’m not sure I can call it a grail as it was an impulse purchase in late 2009, so I was denied the long period of soul searching and cost justification that such things often need.

I still think it is the perfect Rolex, and it would be the last to ever leave the collection.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The minute I discovered Damasko's centre-hands chronos existed, I wanted one, and the more I learned, the better I liked them. I love how so much functionality is crammed into a minimalist aesthetic. When I discovered that details could be tweaked to special order, it became a no-brainer. It's one of few watches I've bought new, and it remains one of my most-worn watches nearly 5 years on:

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

When I bought my subby 13 years ago I never imagined a day when I wouldn't covet it.

That's honest, but also sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    After Shishy's excellent but depressing post (we've all been there and some of us took a bath on the resale) how about grail watches that DID live up to the dream?

The only criterion is you have to have owned for at least a year -- no honeymooners, please!

Mine is the SM300.

This is lovely. Do you know what year it's from please?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

6 digit GMTs blow me away. Got the black black currently but planning to add more when funds allow. Hyped yes but they are things of beauty and more than live up to my expectations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Oh dear.

Perhaps Mumsnet would be more entertaining for you.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    This is lovely. Do you know what year it's from please?
    Yes -- kind of! It's a "watchco" build (i.e. all original Omega parts) comprising of a new 166.0324 case, an old movement (1968 iirc and from a donor watch; a Constellation I think?), a vintage tritium gilt dial and new hands sympathetically relumed.

Most of the watchco ones have SL dials (presumably the same as a service replacement) and they look a bit too new; also the lume has that pale minty green colour. So when i saw this I jumped at the chance. It wasn't cheap but my goodness I love it. I'm getting through tubes of polywatch though!

I always wanted a vintage Sub (e.g. 5513) but I hate what Rolex has become and the more I look at them, lovely as those old ones are, I still prefer this. It was about a third of the price as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    The minute I discovered Damasko's centre-hands chronos existed, I wanted one, and the more I learned, the better I liked them. I love how so much functionality is crammed into a minimalist aesthetic. When I discovered that details could be tweaked to special order, it became a no-brainer. It's one of few watches I've bought new, and it remains one of my most-worn watches nearly 5 years on:

That is soooooopurb!

I want the green one.

Blog Entries
    So that would have to start with the Datejust 41 TT on jubilee. Absolutely superb watch and could wear with anything. Bought it new, sold it and regretted doing so it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    That is soooooopurb!

I want the green one.
    Agreed! I'm a big fan of the earl. I like his black dialled one but would prefer it without the crosshairs.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So that would have to start with the Datejust 41 TT on jubilee. Absolutely superb watch and could wear with anything. Bought it new, sold it and regretted doing so it ever since
    Well you know what you need to do!

Blog Entries
    This one became my grail watch as I was looking for something to commemorate the death of my mum after an unexpected last cheque produced by her executors upon final appropriation of her will. I wanted something special. In those days you could walk into an AD and buy Patek or JLC. I didn’t like Rolex at that time. I wanted something timeless and unique. I tried both this and another patek and also a JLC dual-time all in gold.

decided on the 5146J and it has stayed with me ever since. Actually wearing it now.

Bought in May 2006
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 15th May 2024 at 19:21.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    This more than lived up to expectations
    Even though it was issued to the guy who services the photocopiers.

Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 15th May 2024 at 21:11.

I bought this to celebrate getting a new job using some of my redundancy money from my previous employer. So as well as being a very nice watch, it gives me a great sense of satisfaction that my previous employer paid for it, along with a new roof for the house and some other stuff!

Nice pic and lovely watch. I enjoy mine as well (orange hand instead of red).

That is a lovely SM300, Rev-O.

Blog Entries
    Very happy with all 3 of these …

z

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I bought this to celebrate getting a new job using some of my redundancy money from my previous employer. So as well as being a very nice watch, it gives me a great sense of satisfaction that my previous employer paid for it, along with a new roof for the house and some other stuff!
    Sounds like a grail redundancy!

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    ... I want the green one.
    There seems to be a green one that's a bit of a forum bike (think Walter's owned it at least twice, among others), so stick your thumb out next time it passes!

... would prefer it without the crosshairs. ...
    Damasko have your back, sir -

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Nice pic and lovely watch. I enjoy mine as well (orange hand instead of red).
    Thank-you - they are great, and I sometimes wonder if I should have gone for orange, do love it as a colour for watches!

Craftsman
    When I first got in to watches about 11 years ago, I soon came to love the understated cool of the GADA Rolex Explorer. It quickly became my grail piece, and after buying a BB58 as my first “proper” watch, I knew it was only a stopgap until I bought an Explorer.

My problem was, I’d have preferred a 36mm Explorer, not the 39mm model in production at the time, but was reluctant to buy a second hand old watch, so settled and put my name down at my local AD for the 39mm 214270.

About 18 months later, and just 1 week after I’d bought a new house, I received a call from my AD saying they had an explorer in stock for me. Agonisingly, I had to decline, as my then girlfriend (now wife!) would have killed me.

Jump forward a few months, and Rolex release the new 36mm Explorer, and I’m in love. I popped back to the same AD, and explained I’d like to be put back on the list, only to be told I was still on it from before! A further 6 months went by when I received the call, and 2 and a half years later, it has rarely left my wrist.

Not a day goes by where I don’t look at it and love it. I’ve bought a couple of other watches since, but they’ve been worn for a couple of weeks at most before being left to collect dust and then sold. It seems, for me at least, nothing can usurp the mighty Explorer.

Cheers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    This more than lived up to expectations
    Even though it was issued to the guy who services the photocopiers.

My favourite watch on the forum - I remember when you first posted about getting it, and the reaction of excitement across the entire forum. Hope it gets an outing for less office based activities!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if I have my grail watch ... to me that description applies to something that is very rare and has been sought after for a long time ...

The Comex above for sure falls into that category as would many other rare or vintage watches ... I guess a watch that is difficult to obtain (any sports Rolex) could be considered a grail as they are difficult to obtain (at retail) ... or perhaps a watch that has been wanted for some time but has had to be saved for ... I guess I have a couple that fall into that last category and for me they are my two favourite watches that I wear daily in some sort of random rotation.

They were both bought to mark special landmarks (Explorer = 50th, Mark XX = 20th wedding anniversary) and as such have a bit of an emotional link ...

These watches are classic designs, easy to read and comfortable to wear. The Mark XX seems to work on a range of straps and the excellent bracelet but the Explorer always seems best on the Oyster bracelet despite me trying different options.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My 14060M Had it for over 10 years now, bought it stickered.

2 for me.
    EZM1 and Tutima Commando.
    What I consider Sinn's highest rated watch has never disappointed. The blasted Ti, the classical shape, the total functionality.
    A true design classic, and as there are only (roughly) 3000 of them out there, it's pretty rare too.

Tutima Commando II.
    Effectively Tutima's response to the EZM1, developed entirely to replace the EZM1 issued to German ZUZ troops, this watch was painfully expensive to buy from Tutima themselves, and not generally available from the catalogue (special order only). I was immensely please to secure one (well, 2 actually, one for me, one for Andy) direct from the Zoll disposal of the issued watches. Loved it ever since.

I would add a third. But I haven't owned it year yet, so it doesn't qualify. Even so, my COSC Sinn 142 in black PVD delivers on everything it ever promised. I have only had it 3 months, but I have worn it for almost all of those 3 months

D

Master
    There seems to be a green one that's a bit of a forum bike (think Walter's owned it at least twice, among others), so stick your thumb out next time it passes!
    I shall indeed! Thanks for the heads up. Loving the green!

Hopefully the current owner will fancy moving it on when he reads this thread.

Having already posted my 16610, I would also add my Panerai Zero, which is now firmly past its honeymoon period.

I came here in 2010, and all the traffic was about this company I hadn’t heard of, Panerai. I looked them up, found them revolting and expensive, yet by about 2012, I was obsessed. I researched them, identified the Zero as the model that had all the essential Panerai qualities with nothing extraneous, it was going to be my next watch.

Then life got in the way, and when I came back to watches in 2016, fashion had turned against the brand, the Zero was gone, replaced by the compromised 01000, and with that my interest withered. I came back to the idea recently, and finally bought the one I always wanted in 2023, years after all the smart money moved out of the brand.

With a significant period of research, then longing, I guess that makes it a grail and I still love it. My Rad 210 I love even more, but that didn’t have the long lead into acquisition.

Dave

My PO which I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with. It's a grail in the sense that it's the watch I saw years ago that made me think that's the watch for me (before I even knew the term 'grail').
    Had it up for sale a few times, sold it once but now it's my definite keeper, biggest bug bear was the bracelet, just too heavy and chunky. I don't like any gaps showing with normal straps so bit the bullet and got an omega rubber which has made me realise how much I love it.
    Is it a grail? It is to me.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Sorry, cannot contribute to this thread. Of the several hundred watches owned I don’t think I’ve ever owned one for more than 12 months. Pretty sad really when you think about it.

Sold some watches that I would love back now, but impossible given the stupid prices being asked. Example, £4.6k list price Omega Apollo 13 Snoopy, I had two, one at £8.5k and one at £9k. It would cost nearly £40k now to get a third, ain’t happening.

That Tutima is bloomin' lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    ... Tutima Commando II.
    Effectively Tutima's response to the EZM1, developed entirely to replace the EZM1 issued to German ZUZ troops, this watch was painfully expensive to buy from Tutima themselves, and not generally available from the catalogue (special order only). I was immensely please to secure one (well, 2 actually, one for me, one for Andy) direct from the Zoll disposal of the issued watches. Loved it ever since.

D

Craftsman
    Ah, as with many there is more than one. However, in all honesty it is this wonderful piece.

It is both aesthetically very satisfying, and adorned with a variety of useful complications.

I use it more as a dress watch, so it is not worn every day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    I'll have to bump this thread in 10 months time as I've only had mine for a couple of months, ha.

217?

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    217?

Nope, have posted elsewhere, Friday thread, incoming, & some gratuitous.
    But, would be very happy with a 217.

Master
    Probably two for me. First up would be my SD43, which I had loved from the first pics released in 2017, the red line of script is perfect imho, and a much better size than the dssd. It is the last Rolex in my collection, and hope to be able to pass to my son in several years.
    Second up is my Panerai 615. I have an excessive collection of PAMs, but this is the top for me. Found a full set triple boxed example and just had to have it. Easily legible, not too heavy being ti, suits so many straps, little touch of azzuri blue on chrono hand, the crown guard balanced out by the chrono pushers and an excellent timekeeper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So that would have to start with the Datejust 41 TT on jubilee. Absolutely superb watch and could wear with anything. Bought it new, sold it and regretted doing so it ever since.

Second of mine that did live up to the dream.

Kept seeing them on TZ and really liked the look. Asked at the AD and a couple months later this one turned up. Still a favourite and still love the look of it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    My favourite watch on the forum - I remember when you first posted about getting it, and the reaction of excitement across the entire forum. Hope it gets an outing for less office based activities!

Thank you.

I say! That's oustanding!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Having already posted my 16610, I would also add my Panerai Zero, which is now firmly past its honeymoon period.

I came here in 2010, and all the traffic was about this company I hadn’t heard of, Panerai. I looked them up, found them revolting and expensive, yet by about 2012, I was obsessed. I researched them, identified the Zero as the model that had all the essential Panerai qualities with nothing extraneous, it was going to be my next watch.

Then life got in the way, and when I came back to watches in 2016, fashion had turned against the brand, the Zero was gone, replaced by the compromised 01000, and with that my interest withered. I came back to the idea recently, and finally bought the one I always wanted in 2023, years after all the smart money moved out of the brand.

With a significant period of research, then longing, I guess that makes it a grail and I still love it. My Rad 210 I love even more, but that didn’t have the long lead into acquisition.

Dave

What’s the reference in the pic please

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    What’s the reference in the pic please
    PAM00000

D

Does not get a lot of wrist time but always feel like it is the s#!\

---
    BUBI
    @porque.racing

That's honest, but also sad.
    Sad is an unexpected personal tragedy or losing friends or loved ones.

Falling out of interest with trinkets and baubles is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    2 for me.
    EZM1 and Tutima Commando.
    What I consider Sinn's highest rated watch has never disappointed. The blasted Ti, the classical shape, the total functionality.
    A true design classic, and as there are only (roughly) 3000 of them out there, it's pretty rare too.

Tutima Commando II.

I would add a third. But I haven't owned it year yet, so it doesn't qualify. Even so, my COSC Sinn 142 in black PVD delivers on everything it ever promised. I have only had it 3 months, but I have worn it for almost all of those 3 months

D
    Gorgeous!

I had the same Commando years ago, fantastic watch.

The Tutima M2 Pioneer is one of my most worn now and I’ve recently added another EZM1 (probs my 6th!) - I would love to see your 142, that also sounds lovely.

BTW, what strap do you have on the EZM? That’s a cracking combo.

Sanjay

I had wanted a Seamaster after seeing an advert in the early 2000s. I'd read about the heritage and models available and decided this was what I had to have. I had very little disposable income at that point with having a mortgage, car loans and young family. But from money saved from "govvie jobs" over 18 months I bought this. Which I still have and enjoy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I had wanted a Seamaster after seeing an advert in the early 2000s. I'd read about the heritage and models available and decided this was what I had to have. I had very little disposable income at that point with having a mortgage, car loans and young family. But from money saved from "govvie jobs" over 18 months I bought this. Which I still have and enjoy.[/IMG]
    Makes my list as well, albeit the quartz version.

Here's my trio that won't be going anywhere. I've had the DJ for 5 years, the "Goldeneye" for 1 year, and the 2264.50 for 6 months, but included as it has been on the wrist every day bar two since I bought it.