closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Insurance Shock!

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    For the first time ever I cant get what a I regard as a reasonable quote.

Not only has the price gone up so has the excess, with a £400 excess and £500 damage you wont call them and they know it.

The excess is even more if you dont use their repairer.

They also seem to be loading +£200 for a year old SP30 which didnt used to effect policys.

Direct line are sending me £25 though for poor service answering the phones and that.
    If it helps you can separately insure your excess I had a quick look and £1000 excess would be about £60 so if increasing your excess to a higher level reduces your premium by more than that it gives a bit of a saving

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    If it helps you can separately insure your excess I had a quick look and £1000 excess would be about £60 so if increasing your excess to a higher level reduces your premium by more than that it gives a bit of a saving

Who and how does that work?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Who and how does that work?
    https://www.ala.co.uk/ is one company who offers this cover. Essentially you are buying a separate insurance policy to cover your excess amount. If you have an accident you make a claim for the excess amount

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post

I've done this myself in the past, cost twenty something pounds for £450 excess if my memory serves me right. The £450 voluntary excess reduced the insurance premium by about a hundred compared to taking the policy with the minimum excess. Quids in when I had to claim.

Wow! Just sorting my dad's car insurance. Renewal came in recently and went from £600 to £1000 (Volvo XC40). I was sure they were trying it on so I checked comparison sites etc and they are all around that price. What an increase!!!

An interesting story in the Grauniad today from the owner of an early 2000s Honda Jazz which her insurance company has now refused to insure:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...risk-to-insure
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    I am shocked and appalled at my increase this year, with seemingly no alternatives to get anything cheaper.

A 340i in North London has increased from £800 to over £1,500. No claims in the last 19 years, no speeding tickets. Ridiculous, and the comparison sites don't have anything better it seems.

But fortunately inflation is under control apparantly. 😤

Master
    Ditto. I'm now paying more to insure my Jag X Type than it cost me to buy!!!
    Doubled in the space of a couple of years despite a clean license, no claims, low crime area, parked on a drive. You're not telling me insurance companies costs have double? My mechanic charges about the same for a service as he has for the past 5 years, so they're not being scalped on repair.

This is greed, just a massive industrial case of price fixing and rinsing people for a service they can't refuse to have. I know personally if it were an option I'd be driving uninsured rather than paying £1400 a year to these bloodsuckers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Doubled in the space of a couple of years despite a clean license, no claims, low crime area, parked on a drive. You're not telling me insurance companies costs have double? My mechanic charges about the same for a service as he has for the past 5 years, so they're not being scalped on repair.

This is greed, just a massive industrial case of price fixing and rinsing people for a service they can't refuse to have. I know personally if it were an option I'd be driving uninsured rather than paying £1400 a year to these bloodsuckers
    £1400 bloody hell, mental.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

Insurers aren’t making big profits https://www.ey.com/en_uk/news/2023/0...sults-analysis.

Blame the car makers, thieves and uninsured instead of joining them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Insurers aren’t making big profits https://www.ey.com/en_uk/news/2023/0...sults-analysis.

Blame the car makers, thieves and uninsured instead of joining them.
    Did you read it and note the dates and summary?

Code:
     UK motor insurers reported a loss-making Net Combined Ratio (NCR) in 2022 of 109.5%, driven by high inflation and lagging premium increases
    Sounds like they un-lagged the premiums then.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez