closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steeldive 'Grand'

Craftsman

Steeldive 'Grand'

The other Steeldive Ploprof thread got me interested in the new version with the monobloc design, so did a little research to check it out (I already have the original Steeldive Ploppy) and noticed that they are now making a Seamaster 1000 homage. I always hoped that Eddie would make one, but with the current trend for tiny watches, I can't see this happening any time soon!
    So, now I need a Steeldive 'Grand' but where to get one? I see I can get them in China or Australia, but would prefer to buy a bit more local. Steeldive UK haven't got back to me, but none on the website and Steeldive Europe don't seem to deliver to UK as far as I can see. Can anybody recommend a decent supplier?

Craftsman
    I recently bought a Steeldive SD1982, through their Ali Express store

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/405...45461802Ldtwnf

It was delivered six days later, trackable through China and then Royal Mail when it arrived in the UK. From my experience I'd buy again direct.

Craftsman
    Thanks for that. Never used Ali Express but maybe I should give them a go!

Master
    I think these are OK - but I think you will soon get fed up of wearing it once you have something better - and you will end up with a £100 watch that few want

Seiko have a lot of interesting stuff, used from a few years ago - IMHO much nicer to have a Seiko self wind or early quartz on your wrist

Craftsman
    Never had a Seiko I kept for very long. Not sure what it is about them, but there is something missing. Had 5 Steeldives now and you're right, most have also gone, but I do actually think they are a better watch than Seiko. Still got the Steeldive Ploprof and don't reckon that will go. That really is excellent, but these are not the £100 jobbies. If the Grand is built like the Ploprof, then I am sure I will like it. Had the Helson Sharkmaster 1000 and loved that. Really wish I hadn't got rid of that one!

I didn’t realise they did a version of this!
    An original would be a bit of a grail
    I would get one if it didn’t have the logo
    I can’t stand the logo

Craftsman
    I didn't realise this was a copy of an actual watch. What is it based on? Might have to do a bit of research on that one too. The Grand is ordered now!
    I don't mind the logo. Wouldn't be able to cope with Tactical Frog, but Steeldive works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Thanks for that. Never used Ali Express but maybe I should give them a go!
    I bought a SeeStern SeaQ (s434) lookalike and it was a great watch for under £140.

Sadly, the one part you'd expect to be solid (the Seiko movement) failed! I returned it (FOC) for a refund and got one in about a week.

So, it seems that not only are AliExpress prices the best, they provide good customer service, too. At least, that was my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I think these are OK - but I think you will soon get fed up of wearing it once you have something better - and you will end up with a £100 watch that few want.

Seiko have a lot of interesting stuff, used from a few years ago - IMHO much nicer to have a Seiko self wind or early quartz on your wrist
    Look on eBay (and even in SC here) - Most of these '£100 watches' sell pretty well as long as they're not abused. I'd say you'd get about the same percentage back as on a Seiko and certainly you'd be out of pocket for less absolute cash.

The specs are generally better than Seikos at 2 or 3 times the price, as well.

That said, I've had a few from various Ali brands and only 1 (a Tuna-alike) remains, but in a way the low price encourages you to try and move them on.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 28th January 2024 at 09:53.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    I didn't realise this was a copy of an actual watch. What is it based on? Might have to do a bit of research on that one too. The Grand is ordered now!
    I don't mind the logo. Wouldn't be able to cope with Tactical Frog, but Steeldive works for me!
    Omega produced a series of quartz prototypes in the early 80s in an effort to replace the Ploprof, they didn’t enter series production.

Some info here on both the Grand and the quartz replacements.

https://www.omegaseamaster1000.com/

Craftsman
    Noooooo, another one on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Omega produced a series of quartz prototypes in the early 80s in an effort to replace the Ploprof, they didn’t enter series production.

Some info here on both the Grand and the quartz replacements.

https://www.omegaseamaster1000.com/
    Wow, never heard of these before.

It looks to be closest to one of these :

albeit with an automatic movement.

Some will still quibble it's a 'knock-off', but if the original is 100% unavailable, is that really relevant?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Wow, never heard of these before.

It looks to be closest to one of these :

albeit with an automatic movement.

Some will still quibble it's a 'knock-off', but if the original is 100% unavailable, is that really relevant?

M
    Helson or Crepas watches are copies / reimagining of watches no longer in production, I am comfortable with that, especially if the original is hard to come by or almost non existent, much like our hosts brands. - have a look at the Crepas version of the Omega above and the Grand / Big Blue, fantastic looking watches.

I think most Steeldive watches are less clear cut. Are they made in the same factory as the fakes? Who knows but I have never bought one because I just don’t know. (And that bloody awful logo)

If people like them, good for them, it’s also a good way to try an unusual watch if you are unsure e.g. Ploprof, Tuna