Hi, just trying to pin down the government/Ofsted's rules or guidance in relation to parents accompanying children on a school trip.

Little background, the school are taking the children to Jodrell Bank and want to exclude my son as a "risk assessment" suggests he is a risk... I said that my son has been victimised enough already at the school over the years and that I would be prepared to come along as a volunteer and guarantee his and everyone else safety etc.

He has no conditions or other issues, he is just a lively, anxious and immature 9 year old who chatters a lot and the teachers cannot be bothered dealing with him. They thought that my offer was a great idea and I told my son I was volunteering and he was very excited that I would be attending.

Now I have received a call from a coordinator at the school to discuss me driving my son to the location in my own vehicle. Excuses for him not to be on the coach with the other kids range from the coach company not allowing parents....??? to me not being DBS checked. (am a volunteer paramedic and was in the past given an enhanced DBS check...) I may get one now to preempt this...

I have tried to search for government or OFSTED guidelines on parent volunteers attending school trips but all I can see are individual school policies which make no mention of a DBS check and simply say they require a character reference.

I'm personally known, professionally and personally to the heads at the school and they will have no concerns with me personally, it is just some jobsworth at the school making an issue out of nothing...

The school have already told my child that "as you cannot be trusted to behave, you father will be taking you and accompanying you" just further destroying his confidence...

I would really like him to be included as a normal child and thus would like to pre-empt any more nonsense from them when I speak to them tomorrow so it would be great to have chapter and verse if any in relation to these rules.

Many thanks in advance.

JC