closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moving home with Virgin Media

Moving home with Virgin Media

Hopefully someone can offer some advice on a potentially tricky situation.

We're moving home next month and want to take Virgin with us. The new house is with Virgin as well so the basic moving part should be easy enough.

My question concerns the renewal of my contract, which is happening at the same time. Virgin announced its latest price rises a few weeks ago and I have until 15 Feb to cancel the service/negotiate a new deal. I'm also currently enjoying the benfits of the last negotiation, which is due to end on 7 March.

In a nutshell, I want to arrange the move while at the same time negotiate a better deal.

In the forum's wise and expert opinion, should I negotiate the contract first then inform Virgin of the move, or arrange the move (11 Feb) then barter over the contract in the 3 days I have before the 15th. At the moment, I think negotiating a contract first might be wiser.

TIA

Is there any benefit in cancelling the contract in your (I presume) name at your current abode & becoming a 'new customer' (with potential savings) under your wife or partner's name at your new address?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Is there any benefit in cancelling the contract in your (I presume) name at your current abode & becoming a 'new customer' (with potential savings) under your wife or partner's name at your new address?
    I had considered this.

I suspect the problem with it would be the time delay in setting up a new contract, the fact that we already have all their equipment and would either have to explain why or say nothing and wait for all the new equipment to be delivered, and the fact I also have a family deal with Virgin mobile, which would then lose its benefits.

Aside from the contract side of things, I'd also budget for something to support internet access (3/4g thingy) should Virgin not be able to activate the line for you in the expected timescales.

Despite a cable being in place and their street box being about 5 meters away, it took them weeks to sort out our line despite a promised activation date soon after we moved in.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Aside from the contract side of things, I'd also budget for something to support internet access (3/4g thingy) should Virgin not be able to activate the line for you in the expected timescales.

Despite a cable being in place and their street box being about 5 meters away, it took them weeks to sort out our line despite a promised activation date soon after we moved in.
    Good point. You mean like a dongle of some description? I'll need good broadband for work so will have to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Good point. You mean like a dongle of some description? I'll need good broadband for work so will have to investigate.
    Yeah, a dongle of some sort. Just for contingency, hopefully it won't be required.

We managed to borrow one, which was a godsend.

Master
    Blog Entries
    (1) Try a negotiation for lower price and move your account

(2) If you're getting an exceptional deal then carry out the transfer even if they dont offer further discount e.g. my current deal is way cheaper than any current advertised deal so even with the annual price rises I'm still winning.

(3) If none of the above, then get the bundle you need and do a cashback through Quidco or similar.

Master
    Re this if you haven’t already done so make a visit and check what kind of service you get on your current mobile provider and run a few speed tests to work out if you could wfh just by your mobile tethered to your pc/Mac

It’s not necessary the best option but might be enough to get you out of a hole

If the service is poor it might also be worth checking with the vendors who they use for mobile services and what the connection is like so you can check out in advance what kind of data sim options and pricing they have

If it helps I got one of these a couple of years back for my mum to use and it seems a reasonable buy for the cost, in case you do need to buy something for a temp solution

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She uses it with a unlimited smarty sim which uses the 3 network
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 24th January 2022 at 14:28. Reason: Smarty

Just got off the phone with Virgin. Renewed the package (M200 broadband, Max TV) for £54 per month. Result!

Now I need to tell them I'm moving

Journeyman
    Hopefully someone can offer some advice on a potentially tricky situation.

We're moving home next month and want to take Virgin with us. The new house is with Virgin as well so the basic moving part should be easy enough.

My question concerns the renewal of my contract, which is happening at the same time. Virgin announced its latest price rises a few weeks ago and I have until 15 Feb to cancel the service/negotiate a new deal. I'm also currently enjoying the benfits of the last negotiation, which is due to end on 7 March.

In a nutshell, I want to arrange the move while at the same time negotiate a better deal.

In the forum's wise and expert opinion, should I negotiate the contract first then inform Virgin of the move, or arrange the move (11 Feb) then barter over the contract in the 3 days I have before the 15th. I recall how difficult it was for me to move and how I had to. I took my time shifting stuff and doing other things. I can provide advice on how to locate a moving company near me , and they were the ones who assisted me with the relocation. They moved even me quickly and vigorously, with no damage, so I have no doubt that they can truly assist anyone in moving stuff. I hope I might be of assistance. At the moment, I think negotiating a contract first might be wiser.

TIA
    I, too, in such a situation, would enter into a contract.
    Last edited by bobocat; 6th February 2023 at 05:48.

Just got off the phone with Virgin. Renewed the package (M200 broadband, Max TV) for £54 per month. Result!

Now I need to tell them I'm moving

Wow. What did you say to them? When the price goes up shortly, I'll be paying close to £90for a similar package.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Wow. What did you say to them? When the price goes up shortly, I'll be paying close to £90for a similar package.
    My package was due for renewal end of March this year and it was £65 per month.

I rang them up in January to serve notice to quit and after about 10 mins of haggling I got it down to £54 for 18 months with no interim increases.

That is for 250 mbps, two tivo boxes for two TV, more channels and a landline.

City fibre is everywhere now preparing packages for up to 900 mbps, so competition is hotting up.

I know that VM are losing a lot of TV contracts at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Just ask to be put through to the cancellations team. You'll always get a better deal, and if that doesn't work just hand in your notice. 99% of the time you'll get a call within the week offering a silly deal to stay.

I'm in a stronger position this year because the new house has a satellite dish already installed, BT lines and Virgin cable so I'm happy to go to any provider. For the past year I've been mostly streaming so no need for the Tivo box.

If I don't get another deal from Virgin, I'm going to try these:

https://communityfibre.co.uk/full-fi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Blog Entries
    My broadband contract with Virgin Media ends in July and I am most definitely OFF elsewhere!

Apprentice
    It's usually better to lock down your contract details before adding the complexity of a move into the mix. Since you're already at a negotiation point with the price increase and your benefits ending soon, securing a favorable deal now could set a positive tone for the move. Once you have your new contract in place, informing Virgin about your move on the 11th should be straightforward, especially since the new house is also served by Virgin. When I moved I found https://threemovers.com/moving-companies-international/ really helpful for understanding the process and finding reliable services.
    Last edited by keiron99; Today at 15:29.

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    It's usually better to lock down your contract details before adding the complexity of a move into the mix. Since you're already at a negotiation point with the price increase and your benefits ending soon, securing a favorable deal now could set a positive tone for the move.
    How is your wife’s mondaine? Did you manage to get it working again?

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    It's usually better to lock down your contract details before adding the complexity of a move into the mix. Since you're already at a negotiation point with the price increase and your benefits ending soon, securing a favorable deal now could set a positive tone for the move.
    Thanks. We moved two years ago

And LOL:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ondaine-quartz