closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Rumours

Hybrid View

An interesting and unsurprising piece in the Daily Wail a couple of days ago for a different take on Rolex indifference (see what I did there?)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ma...rocket-60.html

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    An interesting and unsurprising piece in the Daily Wail a couple of days ago for a different take on Rolex indifference (see what I did there?)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ma...rocket-60.html
    I’m not suggesting it’s a London-only issue however the last line of the report “All things considered, sales of luxury watches have held up pretty well, down just 1 per cent in the 13 weeks to January 28, compared with the same period last year. While jewellery sales were down 18 per cent.” would suggest it’s not really having much of an impact. A mere 1% drop, in recession, would have most businesses jumping for joy.

I wouldn’t wear an OTT watch in London personally, I wouldn’t know the no-go areas to be fair being a northern lad but at the same time, I wouldn’t wear anything flash in the less salubrious areas of Manchester like Moss side, Ordsall or Cheetham Hill because I know the areas have a criminal underbelly.

They'll just turn that green/black destro GMT back around and have the even more exclusive Rolex GMT Master II Sinistro.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    They'll just turn that green/black destro GMT back around and have the even more exclusive Rolex GMT Master II Sinistro.
    They need to, its a howler
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    They need to, its a howler
    Indeed, the colour I like a great deal, but for me it looks like some knockoff where it was assembled without any attention being paid & slipped through the net.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks. Never heard of this bloke before so I ‘ll need to do a bit more research before accepting that. If it widely accepted on TRF it would be a different matter.
    Reports from some owners with calipers suggest the current 36 model is around 35.5mm, which is also reported here (though they clearly didn’t measure the 40). There’s a photo on TRF where they manage to make it >36mm (just google ‘Rolex explorer 36 calipers’) but you can clearly see they’ve cheated by including some of the case. I don’t know if earlier version were any larger but some classic models do look a bit more substantial to me. When I tried the current one I felt it was noticeably smaller than my 36mm DJ 16000, perhaps accentuated by the tapering bracelet. I can only assume my ideal version would be somewhere in between the so called 36 and 40.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Apologies in advance for appearing curt but what good is an adventure watch in soft metal?
    About as much use as a diving watch worn to the office, I’d imagine. It would work visually though, and perhaps they could use an unusually tough alloy, eg platinum & gold?
    Last edited by Itsguy; 15th March 2024 at 10:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Reports from some owners with calipers suggest the current 36 model is around 35.5mm, which is also reported here (though they clearly didn’t measure the 40). There’s a photo on TRF where they manage to make it >36mm (just google ‘Rolex explorer 36 calipers’) but you can clearly see they’ve cheated by including some of the case. I don’t know if earlier version were any larger but some classic models do look a bit more substantial to me. When I tried the current one I felt it was noticeably smaller than my 36mm DJ 16000, perhaps accentuated by the tapering bracelet. I can only assume my ideal version would be somewhere in between the so called 36 and 40.

About as much use as a diving watch worn to the office, I’d imagine. It would work visually though, and perhaps they could use an unusually tough alloy, eg platinum & gold?
    Ah, thank you. That - and the narrower lugs and bracelet - would indeed explain why it feels relatively "delicate" for a 36mm case size.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ah, thank you. That - and the narrower lugs and bracelet - would indeed explain why it feels relatively "delicate" for a 36mm case size.
    Quite

The 21mm bracelet on the 40 is in great proportion - 38.5 / 21

Master
    My 114270 measures dead on 36 mm with the vernier.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I’m not suggesting it’s a London-only issue however the last line of the report “All things considered, sales of luxury watches have held up pretty well, down just 1 per cent in the 13 weeks to January 28, compared with the same period last year. While jewellery sales were down 18 per cent.” would suggest it’s not really having much of an impact. A mere 1% drop, in recession, would have most businesses jumping for joy.

I wouldn’t wear an OTT watch in London personally, I wouldn’t know the no-go areas to be fair being a northern lad but at the same time, I wouldn’t wear anything flash in the less salubrious areas of Manchester like Moss side, Ordsall or Cheetham Hill because I know the areas have a criminal underbelly.
    Exactly. I have told countless people over the years that we members of the public hear and read about these robberies when they happen because it's the press enjoying passing on bad news. Every day there are millions of people around the country wearing OTT watches who DON'T get robbed. It's just the perception.

What I did see last year was a fall away of the number of people enquiring about Rolex watches and I think that is more symptomatic of both the state of the economy and of the frustration of trying to get onto waiting lists without spending a fortune on things you don't want.

Anyway not involved with Rolex any more so no longer something to keep me awake at night.