Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
I’m not suggesting it’s a London-only issue however the last line of the report “All things considered, sales of luxury watches have held up pretty well, down just 1 per cent in the 13 weeks to January 28, compared with the same period last year. While jewellery sales were down 18 per cent.” would suggest it’s not really having much of an impact. A mere 1% drop, in recession, would have most businesses jumping for joy.

I wouldn’t wear an OTT watch in London personally, I wouldn’t know the no-go areas to be fair being a northern lad but at the same time, I wouldn’t wear anything flash in the less salubrious areas of Manchester like Moss side, Ordsall or Cheetham Hill because I know the areas have a criminal underbelly.
Exactly. I have told countless people over the years that we members of the public hear and read about these robberies when they happen because it's the press enjoying passing on bad news. Every day there are millions of people around the country wearing OTT watches who DON'T get robbed. It's just the perception.

What I did see last year was a fall away of the number of people enquiring about Rolex watches and I think that is more symptomatic of both the state of the economy and of the frustration of trying to get onto waiting lists without spending a fortune on things you don't want.

Anyway not involved with Rolex any more so no longer something to keep me awake at night.