closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Hybrid View

Home office reno and desk set-up

I spend about 12 hours every day in my home office, a small 10x8ft extension at the rear of the house. Until relatively recently I’d grown very uncritical about the way it looked and the manner in which the desk was set up. However, I’d been growing increasingly aware that my desk was causing me some angst (one of those old-school office jobs with a curve on one half of the front edge). At the same time, my chair needed some work to it, as one of the arm pads had split (it was never the most comfortable in any event).

Anyway, over recent weeks I’ve been obsessing about how I can make the room feel more warm/cosy/possibly moody and particularly how I can address the issues above but also set up the desk in the most productive way (accounting for the fact that I can often find myself in there at night). That includes both kit and layout, and following a fair amount of research I’ve now defined and started to implement my plan. Much of what I’m doing in terms of changes involves some elements of kit that are generally regarded as the best available right now, so I thought I’d start a thread documenting the various current and planned changes – and the ongoing progress – in case it’s firstly of interest, and secondly helpful to other TZers.

Okay, so this is what it looked like to begin with – unfortunately I didn’t include the curved front edge in this shot, but it shows a fairly basic, albeit neat, layout.

Nothing very inspiring, though, and overall pretty… bland. My current kit less so, though - it’s built around a blindingly fast Apple MacBook Pro M1 Max which I knowingly over specified when I bought it not that long ago:10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core neural engine, 64GB unified memory and 2TB SSD storage. Supporting that beast is a 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display – again, a fantastic bit of kit. There are no plans whatsoever to change either any time soon, I should add, albeit that monitor temptation is strong.

The reno of the room itself is essentially a few repairs and a paint job on e walls, although it’s fair to say that the finish is going to be relatively radical. Normally I’d do that first, but given that I’m still in recovery from my recent surgery that can’t happen. Accordingly, I’m hoping that it will be done two weekends from now, three at the most (I’ve enlisted my son and one of his friends to help with any lifting, etc). I’ve not been idle, though, and have started implementing the desk set-up changes that I have in mind. This is what I’ve done so far, with various other updates to follow over the next week or two.

Desk

I did think long and hard about splurging on a quality sit/stand frame with a solid wooden top, but cost-wise it was looking frightening, and in reality I didn’t see myself standing whilst working once the novelty of dong so had worn off. Accordingly, I decided to re-use the legs on the existing desk and just get a plain rectangular replacement as cost=effectively as possible. I knew I want black, and my sone and I worked for a fair bit longer than anticipated yesterday to make it happen. (I actually overdid it, and ended up in bed from early evening with a sore tummy.)

(There's a little nod to TZ in that photo - I wonder if anyone can tell me what it is...)

Chair

Now, I did splurge a bit on the chair, but given the extent that I sit on it I reckon it was justifiable. Anyway, I went for a fully adjustable Herman Miller Aeron Remastered, which new are about £1200. However, they can be picked up for about 35-40% of that refurbished without too much trouble and sometimes a little less that that with more patience and effort. I’ve never experienced a work chair even approaching the heavenly comfort afforded by the Aeron, and although it was expensive I have no buyer’s remorse whatsoever. I LOVE it.

With more to follow imminently, there are also a couple of new items on my desk that are currently considered best in class, so I thought fellow TZers might be interested to see them and, perhaps consider whether they would make useful upgrades themselves.

Dock

I needed to upgrade my connectivity options, so bought the outstanding Caldigit TS4 Thunderbolt dock. The TS4 is currently considered the best dock available right now – there are many, many reviews on the net testifying to that – so the decision to overspend a little on it was a relatively easy one.

It provides an insane 18 ports (12 on the back and 6 on the front) as well as charging my MBP at 97w through a direct Thunderbolt connection. This is brilliant, as if I need to become mobile with my laptop, I just unplug that one lead and off I go (I already have the Apple Magsafe charger and another pre-connected wireless mouse in my travel bag).

Mouse

Once again, my new mouse – a Logitech MX Master 3S for Mac – is deemed to be arguably the best mouse available at the moment. It’s a very ergonomic design, has some fantastic basic functionality as well as being very customisable. For me, though, it will also play nicely with something else that I have coming down the line, so when I found it with a bit of a reduction as Amazon I leapt into action in classic LTF style. To be honest, I could probably have got away with not buying t, but… well, I did.

Well, that’s it for now, although there will be some further updates as and when other changes take place and it’ll culminate with the big change in respect of décor which I mentioned earlier. I do hope it’s of interest to some, because all the little details have been keeping me awake at night for weeks now (well, that and one or two unassociated issues!!!).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 23:10.

Get a nice keyboard. e.g. a Keychron pro with some silent switches in it.

So much better to type on.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Get a nice keyboard. e.g. a Keychron pro with some silent switches in it.

So much better to type on.
    I actually have a new keyboard on the way - I'v been yearning to revert to a mechanical with that tactile clicking that I used to love, though. More on that to follow.

Master

Looking good, Tony, was going to suggest the chair & saw you already had done it. Have never regretted purchasing my Aeron, it is just so comfortable regardless of hours sat in it during the day.

The comparison when I go to the office & sit in their rubbish chairs is an eye opener. I’ve only worked for one company where the default chair was an Aeron, but it was a nice touch vs the usual crap they give you to sot on all day.

I have also added an Eames lounge style chair in my office for longer calls / where I’m not on camera, again, ever so comfortable.

Love the upper tv / monitor, but know I can’t be trusted not to drift off watching whatever was more interesting than my spreadsheet & PowerPoints!

I’ve also got the MX3 mouse for Mac, but change between that & the Apple one based on what I’m doing work wise, my thumb doesn’t like the switching between desktops button vs the mad mouse. Also have the track pad the other side, but that’s only when I’m feeling hyper productive or scrolling through large documents for review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mj2k; 17th March 2024 at 17:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Looking good, Tony, was going to suggest the chair & saw you already had done it. Have never regretted purchasing my Aeron, it is just so comfortable regardless of hours sat in it during the day.

The comparison when I go to the office & sit in their rubbish chairs is an eye opener. I’ve only worked for one company where the default chair was an Aeron, but it was a nice touch vs the usual crap they give you to sot on all day.

I have also added an Eames lounge style chair in my office for longer calls / where I’m not on camera, again, ever so comfortable.

Love the upper tv / monitor, but know I can’t be trusted not to drift off watching whatever was more interesting than my spreadsheet & PowerPoints!

I’ve also got the MX3 mouse for Mac, but change between that & the Apple one based on what I’m doing work wise, my thumb doesn’t like the switching between desktops button vs the mad mouse. Also have the track pad the other side, but that’s only when I’m feeling hyper productive or scrolling through large documents for review.

That bloody TV has been driving me nuts, Matt. It needs to be repositioned 5cm to the left (which it will be after painting) but for the life of me I can't work out how to remove the residual piece if the stand In fact, I'm certain that you can't.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 17:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That bloody TV has been driving me nuts, Matt. It needs to be reositioned 5cm to the left (which it will be after painting) but for the life of me I can't work out how to remove the residual piece if the stand In fact, I'm certain that you can't.
    I had assumed it was on a pull out arm, not just out of alignment, as yes that would drive me nuts too. I have my monitor on an arm & it never moves, but still measure the distance to the wall on each side and height every morning so I can relax it’s perfect.

I think many monitors have stand designs that are one way only, hence I never tried to use my original Samsung one just in case. A friend has been successful with 2 of theirs using a Dremel & removing enough of the insert of the stand to give enough movement to get it out, but it runs a risk!

Get an ultrawide 49" monitor to increase your desktop real estate. Once you've had dual monitors you would never go back to a single monitor, and once you've had an ultrawide monitor you'd never go back to dual monitors. Already mentioned and you've explained that you'll be moving the TV to be central and if you can't remove the stand piece, buy a new one; it will bug you after you've gone to so much effort.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Get an ultrawide 49" monitor to increase your desktop real estate. Once you've had dual monitors you would never go back to a single monitor, and once you've had an ultrawide monitor you'd never go back to dual monitors. Already mentioned and you've explained that you'll be moving the TV to be central and if you can't remove the stand piece, buy a new one; it will bug you after you've gone to so much effort.
    Stop it! That is not the encouragement I need.

I’m on a standard 32” which causes enough issues with how I send XLS files out vs other people’s zoom on small monitors it seems. Also concerned IT won’t install whatever software I really need to take advantage of the real estate.

Every time I sit at my desk I see something I’d like to improve, for me I do 70% of my time on Teams calls so I not only have to worry about what I see but also behind me, that they see. Speakers is next on my list, but can’t decide on what.

How about having a desk that is a lot narrower and turn it 90 deg to the right so that you have the window behind you which could make your office feel bigger and not narrow/closed in, 12 HPD you want to feel great.

Keep the key board/mouse on the desk and mount all the other stuff either to the wall in front of you or to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Yes, it's on the cards to he honest.

No plans to change the monitor as yet. The attraction for me is the Apple Studio monitor, although I do understand the advantages of an ultra-wide... another rabbit hole, these monitors, and more money out of the watch/motorbike fund!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    How about having a desk that is a lot narrower and turn it 90 deg to the right so that you have the window behind you which could make your office feel bigger and not narrow/closed in, 12 HPD you want to feel great.

Keep the key board/mouse on the desk and mount all the other stuff either to the wall in front of you or to the side.
    No thanks.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 17:53.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Every time I sit at my desk I see something I’d like to improve, for me I do 70% of my time on Teams calls so I not only have to worry about what I see but also behind me, that they see. Speakers is next on my list, but can’t decide on what.
    I've narrowed speakers down to two, one pair of which is a piano red finish!

I hope you’re talking about the audio engine A2, because KEFs won’t work in that space, and the AEs are the biz… had a pair for about 15 years.

Save me the work, what are the two in mind :)

A monitor light bar, a nice spread of light, you got brightness and colour /warm control

https://www.mi.com/uk/product/mi-com...tor-light-bar/

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    A monitor light bar, a nice spread of light, you got brightness and colour /warm control

https://www.mi.com/uk/product/mi-com...tor-light-bar/
    Funny, because I fitted a Benq Halo this evening. I'll include some photos in the next update but it looks fantastic.

I hate my ultra wide. It’s just too wide and feels more natural to turn my head to a second screen that a different part of the same screen.

Its only value is for dealing with mega excel sheets.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I hate my ultra wide. It’s just too wide and feels more natural to turn my head to a second screen that a different part of the same screen.

Its only value is for dealing with mega excel sheets.
    Well, I certainly don’t like dual monitors, nor would I contemplate them at home. I reckon I could go to about 34” here, though.

Looks good. I went for a refurbished HM chair too but skimped and should have got the one you have. May go back and fix that.

If you do go ultra wide 34 is probably enough. I went with 38 and it’s just a bit too wide. Definitely get a good quality adjustable monitor arm and have the mac open below it for emails/notes although it might ruin your mounted tv above. I’m very close to getting a 34 to mount above my 38 for a nice stacked set up.

One thing I’ve never regretted is the electric standing desk. When I’m at work I use it every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Looks good. I went for a refurbished HM chair too but skimped and should have got the one you have. May go back and fix that.

If you do go ultra wide 34 is probably enough. I went with 38 and it’s just a bit too wide. Definitely get a good quality adjustable monitor arm and have the mac open below it for emails/notes although it might ruin your mounted tv above. I’m very close to getting a 34 to mount above my 38 for a nice stacked set up.

One thing I’ve never regretted is the electric standing desk. When I’m at work I use it every single day.
    See above - 34” is about as big as I’d go, I think. I may yet go for a sit/stand desk, I’m just not sure at the moment.

I couldn’t see myself ever wanting to type on an open laptop below a main monitor, although I can see how it would work for note-taking.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 22:33.

Sorry, I’ve only just come to this thread and haven’t read it thoroughly.

In your first post Tony, I got to 10ft x 8ft at the back of the house and immediately thought retire and convert it to a garage!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

In your first post Tony, I got to 10ft x 8ft at the back of the house and immediately thought retire and convert it to a garage!
    Believe me I've thought about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I was mildly concerned for him, the OP, poor chap he spends 12 plus hours a day in a space the size of some gaol cells!

FREE LTF!
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th March 2024 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I was mildly concerned for him, the OP, poor chap he spends 12 plus hours a day in a space the size of some gaol cells!

FREE LTF!
    Given that I have a full time job (for which I WFH) and run my own business at the same time, it's not so bad; that's 8 hours of the working day where I need to be at my desk anyway, and during weekends I tend not to be in there anywhere near as much. I do a lot of computer-based personal stuff too, which I really enjoy.

That said, yes - I'd rather be not working and sitting by the pool.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th March 2024 at 09:22.

Given that I have a full time job (for which I WFH) and run my own business at the same time, it's not so bad; that's 8 hours of the working day where I need to be at my desk anyway, and during weekends I tend not to be in there anywhere near as much. I do a lot of computer-based personal stuff too, which I really enjoy.

That said, yes - I'd rather be not working and sitting by the pool.
    It was meant to be tongue in cheek...all the best to you, hope you´re on the mend.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It was meant to be tongue in cheek...all the best to you, hope you´re on the mend.
    It was actually a fair point. Yes, doing okay, thanks.

Master
    Still not ordered the Halo, not sure what’s stopping me. Maybe coming to spring & a south facing office window isn’t pushing me enough. Will revisit come autumn I think.

Town hall meeting this afternoon, so a long listening call for me, so in the lounge chair. I really need to find something for this large empty wall though.

Don’t want shelves as will store stuff I don’t want. Toyed with metal race track cut outs, or large Lego cars hung on the wall. Large tv is an obvious one, but will sit at a funny angle to it & it will reflect the window I’m sure.

3yrs on and still not found an answer.

Master
    Really interesting thread and now I’m looking for speakers that I didn’t know I needed!

Could do with a new chair so where’s a good source to look for used/refurbished office chairs like the Human Scale and Herman Miller?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Really interesting thread and now I’m looking for speakers that I didn’t know I needed!

Could do with a new chair so where’s a good source to look for used/refurbished office chairs like the Human Scale and Herman Miller?
    Here you go. Close to half the new price.

Master
    Another vote for them, it’s where I got mine from too. They were great resolving a minor issue that I had with it also.

Got me looking to move my Sonos to another room to get some speakers now to replace my small soundbar.

This thread could start getting expensive.

Another vote for them, it’s where I got mine from too. They were great resolving a minor issue that I had with it also.

Got me looking to move my Sonos to another room to get some speakers now to replace my small soundbar.

This thread could start getting expensive.
    Audioengine A2+ are a no-brainer. The only question for me is red (statement-piece) or black.

Master
    Thanks! They seem to have lots of choice and not too far away so might see if I can pop in and have a look at all.

Enjoying this thread.

Since Covid I now work 2-3 days a week from home and my office environment has become important to me. It can get a bit lonely at times so I like a few creature comforts

My main desk area

I have a few MacBooks but leave this one in position and use it with an 8 Bitdo mechanical retro keyboard in Famicom colours!

Which has matching programmable hot buttons if I’m doing any repetitive tasks!

You’ll see another keyboard sitting behind it to the left which is a Pi400 with some 35,000 retro games running via a RetroPi set up for those odd intervals of downtime! I use a wireless 8bitdo Pro controller for that.

I’ve got music set up behind me for mainly playing vinyl which the sideboard is full of and a chair for a little break occasionally.

And the sound of trickling water and 3 fish

To my right my book case which has a modded Vectrex sitting proudly (again for those odd moment of downtime!)

Makes the days more bearable and of course I get visited regularly by one or two of our 6 cats and 3 dogs to keep me sane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bootsy; 19th March 2024 at 06:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    Enjoying this thread.

Since Covid I now work 2-3 days a week from home and my office environment has become important to me. It can get a bit lonely at times so I like a few creature comforts

A nice work area, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    Enjoying this thread.

My main desk area

I have a few MacBooks but leave this one in position and use it with an 8 Bitdo mechanical retro keyboard in Famicom colours!

Which has matching hot buttons if I’m doing any repetitive tasks!

Sitting behind it is a Pi400 with some 35,000 retro games running via a RetroPi set up for those odd intervals of downtime!

I’ve got a music set up behind me and a chair for a little break occasionally.

And the sound of trickling water and 3 fish

To my right my book case which has a modded Vectrex sitting proudly (again for those odd moment of downtime!)

Makes the days more bearable and of course I get visited regularly by one or two of our 6 cats and 3 dogs
    That’s a fantastic room!

Master
    I daren’t show you my room! Bits of it are ok, but as it’s long and thin I’ve always struggled with how to utilise it effectively. Also has a bunch of other people’s stuff in it which doesn’t help.

Might just have to start over…

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I daren’t show you my room! Bits of it are ok, but as it’s long and thin I’ve always struggled with how to utilise it effectively. Also has a bunch of other people’s stuff in it which doesn’t help.

Might just have to start over…
    Project!!!!

Cheers for the comments

I’ve come to realise (just as you started the thread off Tony) that given I spend a lot of time now in my office that I need to enjoy the surroundings so it’s constantly been and getting tweaked

Master
    Project!!!!
    Agreed!

The desk area itself is ok, but I need to start again with how the rest of it is used and what goes where.

I might need to build some bookcase type thing around the door so I can put things like guitar amps on there and get them off the floor. Maybe put the hifi somewhere else, etc etc.

Maybe something to do over Easter.

Already contacted the chair people and am planning to pop in there next week if all goes to plan.

Master
    Fantastic thread. Some lovely pictures.

One thing I make good use of is my dumbbells….

Sitting to the left of my desk is a small low level coffee table. The chess set gets used rarely (when my daughter visits from Uni), pile of
    Mags, a plant etc but you’ll see the weights on the floor

I make a habit of every hour or so taking a 5 minute break and doing a few light exercises to get the blood pumping and wake me up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bootsy; 19th March 2024 at 11:53.

Glad to see you have been improving your home working setup Tony, it makes all the difference. I hope your health improves enough to be able to enjoy it.

I went down this rabbit hole over Covid and upgraded to a sit stand desk and a second hand Aeron chair.

I tried a 34w monitor but realised I needed the height too. Experimented with two 34w monitors but didn't like the frames and angles so went with a taller 44 inch Dell monitor which is perfect. Basically like four 24 inch monitors and no frames. Didn't want to go for an ultra wide as I didn't want to compromise on stereo speaker positioning.

My best purchase though were some Genelec studio monitors, the best AV purchase I have ever made. I use them all day now. Didn't take me long to supplement with the matching low profile subwoofer. Close your eyes and they sound like huge full range monitors! Love them.

I think the curves really match the design of the Aeron too.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Master
    Completely agree, and you sound like you're quite well catered for yourself. Any photos of the desk setup and the view from the window?

I think that the medical issues I've faced of late have made me want a kind of new start now I'm home and working properly again. I've thrown a fair bit of money at this project (not totted it all up as yet, but it will be well over a grand), but it's worth it to me in order to get the space absolutely perfectly arranged for my own taste and (of course) use case. I haven't been as excited about a project for a long time, in fact (and there's loads more still to come in terms of physical adjustments as well as kit)!
    You deserve it, even without the recent challenges, you spend long enough in there to make it perfect for you. No excuses for dark photos now though with the Halo lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Glad to see you have been improving your home working setup Tony, it makes all the difference. I hope your health improves enough to be able to enjoy it.

I went down this rabbit hole over Covid and upgraded to a sit stand desk and a second hand Aeron chair.

I tried a 34w monitor but realised I needed the height too. Experimented with two 34w monitors but didn't like the frames and angles so went with a taller 44 inch Dell monitor which is perfect. Basically like four 24 inch monitors and no frames. Didn't want to go for an ultra wide as I didn't want to compromise on stereo speaker positioning.

My best purchase though were some Genelec studio monitors, the best AV purchase I have ever made. I use them all day now. Didn't take me long to supplement with the matching low profile subwoofer. Close your eyes and they sound like huge full range monitors! Love them.

Screen looks a normal side until you use the Aeron as a reference. Wow.

Thank you very much-you might even get to see it one day!

That monitor of yours is bloody enormous. It doesn’t help my current commitment to staying with my current screen.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th March 2024 at 02:45.

Thank you very much-you might even get to see it one day!

That monitor of yours is bloody enormous. It doesn’t help my current commitment to staying with my current screen.
    Absolutely!

I do use the space all the time, it's useful.

Master
    Absolutely!

I do use the space all the time, it's useful.

You’ve already got me thinking of a new solution.

I find even with my significantly smaller screen, if I share on teams, I have to zoom in so much for people on a laptop that I need to be several feet from my screen to be able to see it properly.

Is there something in my / their settings I’m missing to prevent this? Or do my work colleagues just need to man up & stop using a small laptop screen on their salaries?

You’ve already got me thinking of a new solution.

I find even with my significantly smaller screen, if I share on teams, I have to zoom in so much for people on a laptop that I need to be several feet from my screen to be able to see it properly.

Is there something in my / their settings I’m missing to prevent this? Or do my work colleagues just need to man up & stop using a small laptop screen on their salaries?

I'd say the latter!

Mouse has arrived - now just waiting for the keyboard.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Next piece of the jigsaw arrived today, in the form of a shelf from Oakeywood. It’s absolutely perfect, and I’ll now be able to position the soon to be speakers just where I want them. Just have to decide on the colour!

Anyway, really happy with the shelf, although I wouldn’t want the monitor any higher at all than it is at the moment.

I’m hoping that, over the weekend, I’ll be able to reposition the television and also move my helmet racks over to the other side of the room. Depends on whether my son is available to help, as Bea won’t let me do it on my own, given that I’m not meant to be lifting or straining myself in any way at the moment.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 15:25.

Master
    Next piece of the jigsaw arrived today, in the form of a shelf from Oakeywood. It’s absolutely perfect, and I’ll now be able to position the soon to be speakers just where I want them. Just have to decide on the colour!

Anyway, really happy with the shelf, although I wouldn’t want the monitor any higher at all than it is at the moment.

I’m hoping that, over the weekend, I’ll be able to reposition the television and also move my helmet racks over to the other side of the room. Depends on whether my son is available to help, as bea won’t let me do it on my own, lgiven that I’m not meant to be lifting or straining myself in any way at the moment.
    Splash of red with the speakers would really stand out, in a good way.
    Looking really good...